Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: JB - Jim Shooter - Denny O’Neil and the HULK! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

I remember what you said about Shooter and Giordano swapping jobs every five years, JB. Too bad that's NOT the remedy to today's landscape of DC and Marvel comics.

Damn you, Hollywood!!!!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 2  

Shooter steered the boat back on course, and that was a good thing.
-----------------------
82 to 86 was a strong time at Marvel. Miller on Daredevil, JB on FF and Alpha Flight, Claremont/Romita Jr on Uncanny X-Men, Stern/Romita Jr & Defalco/Frenz on Amazing Spider-Man and Stern/Buscema on Avengers towards the end of this period. I've no idea how much of this Shooter deserves credit for or whether much was coincidence.

Sadly I jumped on ship in late 85 just to catch the end of this amazing wave. Back issues tided me over for the next few years, so I didn't realize it so clearly at the time, but there was definitely a decline in a lot of my favourite titles from about 87 onward. Iron Man is one of the few Marvel titles I think that was strong during that time. JB's absence from Marvel was sorely felt (big upturn in WCA when he came back though!).

Of course, the FF going downhill can be laid at the feet of Shooter. Marvel's loss was DC's gain though -- the mid to late 80s was a good time for Batman, Superman and co, with JB and Miller bringing their magic touch over.

Edited by Peter Martin on 07 January 2015 at 9:09pm
Back to Top profile | search

Christian Mock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

Peter Martin wrote: "Sadly I jumped on ship in late 85 just to catch the end of this amazing wave. Back issues tided me over for the next few years, so I didn't realize it so clearly at the time, but there was definitely a decline in a lot of my favourite titles from about 87 onward."

I don't believe anyone has ever been able to put into words the way I now feel about that era. Very succinct and eloquent. I may be "stealing" it for a future blog post...
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 4  

A curious thing happened. For a while there, we all seemed perfectly "cast," with Walt on THOR, Roger on AVENGERS, etc. Then somehow we all seemed to take one step to the right.....

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 5  

Perfect time to be a reader tho'.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 6  

I was very lucky to have been the proper age to read superhero comics -- tween-early teen years -- during the very brief Second Silver Age at Marvel in the early '80s.

I was particularly happy when JB -- or, as I thought of him, "that guy who does Fantastic Four" -- was suddenly on The Incredible Hulk. And then, five issues later, that was it, and I was no longer happy. And at the time I didn't even know what JB had planned! Now that I know, I only wish that it was possible that someday we could see Incredible Hulk Forever. Ah well.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 7  

I loved that all splash page issue of the Hulk and was glad that Marvel (or Al Milgrom) printed it in that issue of Marvel Fanfare. You and Kirby have the best splash pages in the business. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 08 January 2015 at 1:01am

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 12:59am | IP Logged | 8  

I guess I should say my favorite splash pages at least. 

Also this: 

John Byrne: A curious thing happened. For a while there, we all seemed perfectly "cast," with Walt on THOR, Roger on AVENGERS, etc. Then somehow we all seemed to take one step to the right.....

I absolutely loved that era of Marvel. Probably my favorite era since the 70's Marvel comics I read as a kid (David Michelinie and Perez or Byrne on Avengers, Gerber and Englehart writing Defenders, Claremont and Byrne on X-Men, etc). Then 80's Marvel with you on FF, Roger Stern and John Buscema and Tom Palmer on Avengers, Simonson on Thor, Claremont and Romita Jr. on X-Men really got me back into comics again (though it all started with a Byrne FF issue with Galactus on the cover). It seems like things went really south for Marvel for me after Secret Wars 2. I gave up on comics and sold my collection after that to get a motorcycle. I obviously got back into comics again. And guess what it was that got me back into comics? John Byrne doing West Coast Avengers. Damn you, John Byrne!

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 9  

I was very lucky to have been the proper age to read superhero comics -- tween-early teen years -- during the very brief Second Silver Age at Marvel in the early '80s.

Me too Jason. Great years for Marvel and I was right there. Marvel's excellence, coupled with me discovering my first LCS and all the non-mainstream comics that were available was quite a special time.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 10  

I agree with Shane. Sometime around Secret Wars 2 I started to realize that I wasn't enjoying a good bit of what Marvel was producing. The Beyonder felt forced into books and It seemed to coincide with the changing "mood" in the books I was reading. The X-Men and the New Mutants especially seemed to get "dark". I also see the introduction of the New Universe as a sign that Marvel comics weren't going to be as good as they had been. As a kid who never really read DC comics, I started picking their titles over many of the Marvels I was buying (starting with Man Of Steel of course).

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 11  

I followed about the same path Shawn. Before 1985, I had never been big into DC, but when JB went over, I started picking up his books, as well as Maquire on Justice League and a few others.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 12  

Shawn, I switched to mostly DC too. I think it was around the time a certain JB started doing Superman and I became less interested in what Marvel was doing. 

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version