Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Q about Psylocke (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 1  

One thing I never understood or heard an explanation of was changing Psylocke from caucasian to asian.

Does anyone know the story behind that?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 2  

I think that Betsy Braddock got possessed by an evil asian telepath (i.e. powers similar to Professor X) that changed her appearance and powers.  After she was freed from this, she kept the look.

Not totally sure when this occurred - probably in the 80's (certainly after Cap. Britain was on the scene, as Betsy is Brian's sister, and she was established as a character well before she became affiliated with the X-Men).

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 3  

When Roger Stern was editor of the reprint titles, one of his first gigs at Marvel, he came to a point where he was about to reprint the origin of Doctor Droom. Not a typo. There's an "R" in there.

This was a very dated story and, based on modern sensibilities, somewhat racist. In one scene, after the Caucasian Dr. Droom attains vast mystic powers, he exclaims "My skin is becoming yellow! My eyes are becoming slanted!" Roger changed this to "My mind! It's as if I've been asleep my entire life!" And Dr. Droom became Dr. Druid.

A few years later, America is going thru a phase of "turning Japanese," and Betsy Braddock gets transmogrified without so much as a whisper of complaint!

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

Betsy Braddock is now Asian? Seriously?! Perhaps, I'm missing something but why not simply create a new Asian character?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

"Now" is quite a long time!

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

It happened in the Uncanny X-Men "Acts of Vengeance" issues, 256-258.

I don't remember the exact specifics of it - she fell under control of The Hand and they transformed her. The Mandarin was involved as well. It was later revealed she wasn't transformed, but her mind was placed in the body of an Asian assassin while the assassin's mind was placed in Psylocke's original British body (that body eventually died from the Legacy Virus, I think.)

It probably got more convoluted, but I hated every step of it, so I stopped paying attention.

Edited by John Popa on 23 December 2014 at 1:43pm

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 7  

This was another one of those Bad Ideas that made me glad that I dropped the X-books around the time that the X-Men "died and went to Australia."

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 8  

For the "explanation" of the switch between Psylocke and Revanche you need to read X-Men (1991) #20-24.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Now" is quite a long time!

You're going to tell me next that she got her sight back...

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 10  

My memory of Betsy Braddock is her looking like Jane Seymour in Live and Let Die,Psylocke means nothing to me!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

My memory of Betsy Braddock is her looking like Jane Seymour in Live and Let Die,Psylocke means nothing to me!

Exactly how I feel. Her story arc that ran in the various Captain Britain strips culminating with her actually taking on the role of the Captain and her subsequent blindness was complete.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

Pretty much everything that happened with Betsy after Chris Claremont brought her into the X-Men universe is convoluted. She was kidnapped by the villain Mojo, who gave her artificial eyes to replace the lost originals (thus making her his trans-dimensional periscope), then rescued by the New Mutants. There was a sort of crush on her by Cypher as a result. The X-Men accepted her as a member following this, and she was part of the team when they defeated the Adversary and was resurrected by the goddess Roma as "Legends" who hung out in the Australian Outback. Lots of glomming on to pop culture trends already.

I left the titles around 1989 after the Inferno crossover sidetracked plots once again, so I was only dimly aware of her "turning Japanese" phase. When I came back on board in the mid-1990s, there were two Psylockes __ Betsy in the Asian body, and her original (Legacy-infected) body inhabited by the Asian assassin lady "Revanche". Thank Jim Lee for that. By then, I was concentrating only on the spinoff Generation X on and off, so I recall browsing the main title to see Sabretooth ripping her open and forgetting that the main books existed. I never followed them or the characters who appeared in them after that. Too much off-the-wall stuff for a guy who was interested in only one book at a time.

I consider it a precursor to the present day when you really can't recognize any of the characters that you grew up with. I'm kind of relieved that I let them go at an earlier point.

Edited by Carmen Bernardo on 23 December 2014 at 4:17pm

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version