Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Signature moves (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2014 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

Didn't want to start a drift in the "Cool Comic Finds" thread....

But it got me thinking about autographs and their worth. Not what they add in re-sale value of a book or print, but their internal, personal, perhaps - sentimental - value.

I see very little value in buying an item that's already signed. To me, getting someone's autograph is a memento of having met them. I've gone to cons and gotten autographs from actors and comic book talent. But, I wouldn't necessarily seek out items that these folks had signed outside of that instance.

For example, I've met a couple of actors from the various (then current) Trek series at cons. Max Grodenchik, Armin Shimerman, Ethan Phillips (I'm not like some huge Ferengi fan...they happened to be some of the guests - Phillips was playing Neelix at that point, anyway...). Nice fellas, all happy to sign 8x10's. Weren't charging for it, either...not sure if that was sign of the times or what. But, I thought it was a very cool thing...

That same year (or perhaps the following), a friend ordered an autographed 8x10 of Michael Dorn for me as gift. I thanked him, but I didn't really "get" it. I like Worf, I enjoyed Dorn's work...but this thing didn't have any significance to me. I've (still) never met the guy.

I went to the Baltimore Comic Con last year, primarily to meet Sal Buscema and have him sign some things, including the first Hulk comic I ever owned. But, that was significant to me...as it was that same book I've had for almost 40 years, but also that he signed it right in front of me as I got to thank him for decades of entertainment.

I could go online tonight and order a copy of that same issue with a Sal signature. But...why bother?  (Even if I didn't already have the one above...)

That said, not long after that convention, I ordered a Hulk commission from Sal. And it's definitely a marquee item in my collection of...anything. And sure, that's "signed"...but it's artwork. I'd expect as much. I'm more excited about the one-of-a-kind, original art aspect of it.

I recently visited Jim Warden and purchased my first couple of original pieces of JB artwork (one, a Hulk/Thing commission, one a page from Generations 3). Of course, he'd signed both of these, which is awesome, but moreso, again, because of what they are. And since my chances of meeting JB are kinda slim, this will have to do.*

I got to meet KISS about four years ago. I'm a huge Gene Simmons fan, but I never really wanted anything that had been signed by him...except the stuff I had him sign.

That said, harkening back to the original thread that inspired this one, if I bought a book with art by JB or Kirby or Buscema or Romita (either in either case) and I found that they'd unexpectedly been signed, it would be pretty cool.

*in the case of JB, who doesn't do conventions, or departed legends like Kirby, I suppose a pre-autographed piece is a way to connect to the greatness...

But, in general, does anybody else have a kind of apathy toward pre-autographed pieces?

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 07 October 2014 at 5:53pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2014 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 2  

Brian Rhodes wrote:
... To me, getting someone's autograph is a memento of having met them...

This is how I feel, typically.

QUOTE:
...Does anybody else have a kind of apathy toward pre-autographed pieces..

For the most part, I do. But, as you noted about instances where it is from a deceased person, or someone not regularly giving autographs at personal appearances, there are exceptions for me.

The neatest thing for me with finding that "Beavis & Butthead" comic I mentioned in the other thread was that it came with an original drawing from the artist of the comic. It would have been cool to see it was autographed, but it was the drawing that make it really neat to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2014 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

Agreed all around.  I'm only really interested in autographs that I acquire in person.

Some exceptions:

I'd buy a Fay Wray signed KING KONG photo....my favorite movie, she's no longer signing autographs I hear.

I'd buy a print or something signed by Jack Kirby.  I have two original Kirby pages, neither are signed.

I had a friend get a signed photo of Julia Adams (CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON) for me at a con I couldn't attend.  I love the movie and didn't know if I'd ever get the chance in person.  Later I met Ricou Browning and had him add his signature to it in person.  Score!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 4  

While I personally prefer getting my autographs in-person, I do have friends living in other countries who are absolutely thrilled to get the celebrity autographs that I've picked up for them at these conventions.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

The neatest thing for me with finding that "Beavis & Butthead" comic I mentioned in the other thread was that it came with an original drawing from the artist of the comic.

Understood. I'd have the drawing and the book framed up next to each other!

I didn't want to hijack the other thread...it just got me thinking about the whole autograph thing (again)...

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2014 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 6  

I agree with your sentiment regarding autographs. I've never seen the value of getting one unless it is one I obtained. However, I would love to have Alec Guiness' autograph. So if anyone wants to donate one to me, from their art flat file room, from behind the door ;)  I would cherish it.

People who get comics signed thinking it somehow enhances the value of the book simply do not understand the value of an artist's signature.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2014 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 7  

Something pre-autographed isn't something I'd actively seek and/or want to pay extra money for, but it's still kind of neat to know you're touching a copy that was also handled by the individual in question. Nothing beats the first hand encounter (even though I've never been one of those fans who can think of anything particularly profound or memorable to say at these "meetings" beyond "thanks for signing my book"), but it's something.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2014 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 8  

Yeah. What do you say? "You had me at "Hulk Smash!"?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 9  

I have a fairly large collection of autographs, not counting signed artwork. Sadly, many of the people are dead, and some were so before I was born. Abraham Lincoln, Charles Darwin, Robert Frost, plus Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Steve Martin, Alec Guiness, Adam West, Frank Gorshin, Al Hirschfeld, Edmond Hamilton, Isaac Asimov.

Some of that signed art included Andy Warhol, Salvadore Dali, Ronald Searle, Jack Kirby, Joe Kubert, Dick Sprang, and, you know, Rembrandt.

I didn't pick up an Elizabeth I when I had the chance (and the money!) and have regretted it ever since.

Often I've thought it would be fun to track down autographs of long dead folk that were personalized to someone named John. I could hang them around my house and pretend I was Jason Blood.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2014 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 10  

Oddly enough, the only book I own that was pre-signed by an artist/writer whom I have not met is JB's BATMAN & CAPTAIN AMERICA. I saw it in great shape for less than cover price, and scooped it up because I'd never read it. Wouldn't mind getting that (among other things) personalized one day, if the opportunity ever arises!

Everything else is a memento of meeting someone, from George Perez to Kurt Busiek, Alex Milne, Scott Kollins, Marv Wolfman, etc. 

Jeff Dyer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2014 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 11  

As far as signed stuff, my most rare would probably be two personal letters from Bill Watterson, both hand signed.  I sent him a couple fan letters in the early 90s and he responded both times.  A few years later I wrote again, asking more questions about his work. By that time he had started sending form letters.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2014 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 12  

Now, THAT, Jeff, I would cherish!

And JB, I can absolutely see the value in the folks in your list. They're all giants (no Lincoln joke intended) and with many of them there's no longer a chance of meeting...

I just met Adam West and Burt Ward last month at a con. Got a photo with, but not autographs (separate line, later time, more money...and I already had a picture as a memento!)

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 08 October 2014 at 7:26am

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version