Topic: DOCTOR STRANGE ~ SPOILERS Begin on Pg 25 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2016 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Back to Top profile | search

paul naring
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2016 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It shouldn't have been called Dr. Strange. It wasn't Dr. Strange or his origin as I know it. But it was a great film about a really interesting character, and a pretty fascinating story.

------------------------------------------

yep that pretty much sums up the Marvel Cineuniverse for me only don't expect it to change ... ever.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2016 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Just don't expect any version of Dr. Strange you've seen before.

-----

Other than Roger Stern's run, I don't think there's been a consistent
take on Strange post-Ditko. I'd argue that the MCU Strange is a
patchwork of the wildly different Stranges we've seen in the comics.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2016 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Matt Hawes: "Sounds like Doctor Strange to me, despite some changes (which I do think were unnecessary) in the details to his origin." (Emphasis added.)

Oh, well, when you put it that way... yes, it was Dr. Strange, except for some changes that made it not Dr. Strange. :)

But yes, the first fifteen to twenty minutes were very Stehpen Strange... and I was most happy that this part of his origin was handled quickly and effectively, and not drawn out for an hour.

(Added the emphasis comment afterwards because, if you've seen the movie, you know that the warnings come after the spells. :)

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2017 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I watched this today and really enjoyed it. Yes, the continuity of the origin is different, and the supporting characters are all changed, but the character acted very much like the classic Stephen Strange from the comics I loved.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2017 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

We watched CA:TWS in the stateroom while on our Disney cruise last week. That scene that mentions different people Zola's algorithm has found didn't say anything about a person in Tibet. It specifically said the name Stephen Strange. 

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2017 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yes, but the algorithm could predict not only current threats to HYDRA, but potential future threats, as well. Stephen Strange was a widely renowned, exceptional doctor...and not a member of HYDRA. He probably would have pinged.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 20 March 2017 at 7:50pm
Back to Top profile | search | email

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2017 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

One of the flaws in "Dr. Strange", and maybe a necessary one, is that everything happens so fast. In the Marvel Universe, it took years, if not decades, for Stephen Strange to become Master of the Mystic Arts - easily enough that he appeared in Lost Generation with no sense of anachronism.

It wouldn't have worked to show Strange operating (literally... :) in the 60s, wrecking his Masterati, and then having to turn to the Ancient One. And then the end credit scene shows him in the most modern scene possible, with Thor (and the bit my mom loved - the ever refilling stein!) But if that happened a few years after the rest of the movie, then there's no reason Strange wouldn't have shown up in Winter Soldier.

Then again, it's Hydra. Who knows what they do and why they do it?

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2017 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm late in responding here but I just now saw Brian Hague's post to me from November. I appreciate your apology and sentiments, Brian. Unfortunately, I cant restore my post as I didn't save it. Maybe I shouldn't have deleted it but at the time, it didn't appear that my comments were welcomed in a space where the majority of folks appeared to enjoy the film. Not that I'm generally thin-skinned or overly sensitive but...as I look at the date...November 8th...I think I may have been a bit more sensitized and intolerant of anything I perceived, or misperceived, as undeserving of my time at that moment. 

For whatever it's worth, I really don't place much stock in whether or not someone disagrees with my opinions about a film. Films are meant to be enjoyed, not dissected and criticized. We like what we like and different tastes should be cool. 

Again, I appreciate your addressing the situation. My bad for seeing your post months late.

Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 1:49am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

ERIC: But if that happened a few years after the rest of the movie, then there's no reason Strange wouldn't have shown up in Winter Soldier.
--

There would be no reason? At all?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 3:02am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

ERIC: But if that happened a few years after the rest of the movie, then there's no reason Strange wouldn't have shown up in Winter Soldier.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are plenty of reasons why he wouldn't show up. There was a concede I made as a kid when reading comics. It concerns what the other characters were doing outside of the particular comic I was reading. If Spider-Man was facing a big bad threatening NYC in his comic and the FF and Avengers didn't show up to help. It was because they were off handling something else themselves. 

I think that same concession should apply for the films.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 4:14am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Okay, okay, I might have stated it poorly. Let's say: ...if that happened a few years after the rest of the movie, then there's no reason Strange couldn't have shown up in Winter Soldier.

Nothing HAS to happen in these movies. I'm just saying that depending on the timing, it's eminently reasonable for Stephen Strange to be targeted by Hydra... especially if he's the master of the mystic arts (just as Tony Stark didn't HAVE to be mentioned.)

For heaven's sake, it was a one second appearance of a single name, and I'm just making the point that it needn't have been just a throw away nod to those familiar with the Marvel Universe, instead of someone significant. I didn't expect some kind of Spanish Inquisition... :)

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Okay, okay, I might have stated it poorly. Let's say: ...if that happened a few years after the rest of the movie, then there's no reason Strange couldn't have shown up in Winter Soldier.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Agreed there's no reason why he couldn't have shown up. I  think like most  everyone else did that when Strange's name was dropped in Winter Soldier. It was because he was Sorcerer Supreme. 

After the Dr. Strange movie didn't to seem line up with WS and possibly happening around the time of Civil War. I had to assumed that Zola's algorithm was just predicting that Strange would eventually become trouble.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 23 March 2017 at 10:59am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Eric, nobody expects the... Okay, no. 

Glenn, I'm good if you are. Next time I'll try to be less presumptive in tone. And yeah, November wasn't a good time for a lot of us. Not that things have gotten any better since then. :-)

Back to Top profile | search | email

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 30
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version