Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Un credited "Guest" artists (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 1  

Been reading through the Lee & Kirby FF run. When using guest stars they often had the artist from that character's book pencil or ink that character. Wally Wood drew Daredevil when he was guest star. Ditko and Romita drew Spider-Man for some of his appearances. It looks like DD was drawn by Wood in later appearance as well, though he wasn't on the Daredevil book at that time,Gene Colan was.  Some of the DD images do look like Gene's work though 

Now there was some "outrage" when Kirby's Superman was redrawn to be on model in Jimmy Olsen. Was there any thing like that when it happened in FF? 

ETA: Spelling, grammar and other things

Edited by Mike Norris on 15 August 2014 at 5:41pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

I've never heard of any. That may be because putting Murphy Anderson's Superman head into a Kirby panel looks jarring and god-awful, while placing a Wally Wood DD into the FF looks pretty sweet.

Edited by Brian Hague on 15 August 2014 at 6:59pm

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 3  

I thought I read somewhere that Wood drew DD because he was the only one at the time who knew how to draw the new red costume (which he designed) properly, or something to that effect.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 4  

While not as jarring it does stand out at times. I recently read an issue featuring a football game between Metro U and Empire State. Peter and MJ were in the stands and they looked like full on Romita. 

It's an interesting practice, though. IIRC, before JB got the X-Men, Dave Cockrum redrew an appearance of the X-men in a book JB was penciling. In this day and age its hard to imagine characters and artists being so closely associated. 

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

A more "recent" example (although it's nearing 20 years ago at this point) came up in Mark Waid and Ron Garney's run on Captain America.  The Cosmic Cube was going haywire, and Cap momentarily perceived Agent 13 as he'd known her years ago--and John Romita Sr. pitched in and drew that panel.  

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 6  

One distinction is that in the FF issue in question (#39), Wood didn't redraw Kirby's Daredevil figures, he merely was brought in to ink them (whereas Frank Giacoia inked the rest of the issue).  And the following issue DD appears again but Wood doesn't (Colletta inks the entire issue). 

I'm also wondering, was there outrage over Kirby's Superman heads being redrawn at the time, or is that something that only happened retrospectively?  Kirby was not the only one that happened to at the time, either.  John Rosenberger's Superman heads in Lois Lane were often redrawn.

If you look through the Kirby issues of FF, you can spot a lot of Romita-redrawn faces.  For that matter, you can spot a lot of Romita faces in many 70's Marvel issues.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 15 August 2014 at 11:38pm
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2014 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 7  

I guess it's not really strange, considering the assembly line history of comics production going back to the very beginning, that this sort of thing would happen. I read that the original CAPTAIN MARVEL comics had whole teams of artists doing single stories, with different individuals assigned to backgrounds, side characters, Cap's body, Cap's face, maybe even further splitting up body parts and costume elements--and then furthering dividing these between pencils and inks! (If I'm recalling the article correctly.)

Bringing it back to Romita though, I was really amazed when I found out that the most iconic image of the NEW Captain Marvel was mostly Starlin--but with a Romita face!

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2014 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 8  

I was going to mention that one as well!

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2014 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 9  

In Man Thing's first appearance, John Romita redrew all the faces of the female lead.  Cause Neal Adams doesn't know how to draw pretty girls.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

I prefer the look of the Romita-drawn Captain Marvel face, but the
original is (of course) a more natural fit for the rest of the image. (By the
way, the lower half of Captain Marvel in that picture has never looked
quite right to me. Top and bottom don't quite match in my head.)
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2014 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 11  

In Man Thing's first appearance, John Romita redrew all the faces of the female lead. Cause Neal Adams doesn't know how to draw pretty girls.

••

Neal didn't draw the Man-Thing's first appearance. That was in SAVAGE TALES, and it was Gray Morrow -- not redrawn by Romita!

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2014 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yep, it was Man-Thing's second appearance (in Astonishing Tales #12) that featured Adams art with some Romita facial redrawing.  The art looks to have been shot directly from Adams' pencils, which may be why Romita thought some redrawing was necessary.  It also was originally intended to be printed at a larger size in black and white, and perhaps the downsizing and addition of tones also created issues.  At any rate, I don't think it's fair to say that Romita believed Adams didn't "know how to draw pretty girls."  Romita redrawing was extremely commonplace during this period, in many different books and over pretty much every artist.  It's not like Adams was singled out for special treatment here.  

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 16 August 2014 at 2:16pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version