Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: "I really hate Superman" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 1  

http://apesandbabes.com/frankchoforum/viewtopic.php?t=10414& amp;postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Frank Cho wrote:
I think Superman is a boring and moronically simple character. From his Kryptonite weakness to his silly disguise with the eyeglasses, Superman is an ill-conceived character. Just because he's the first superhero doesn't mean he's a good character. And don't get me started on him crying on every other comic book cover. 
Just read this quote and will now find it difficult to enjoy this creator's work.  And I've really enjoyed a lot of stuff he's worked on.  What he's saying just seems to pander to everything I dislike about the state of comic books though.  Makes it hard not to consider him a big part of the problem.

What a bummer.

Edited by Andy Mokler on 05 April 2014 at 7:17pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

A guy who hates Superman and resists drawing him is hardly a worse problem than the ones who love Superman and insist on working on him. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

Until JB took over Superman, I felt
pretty much the same about Superman, maybe
for some different reasons. JB made me
like the character again.

(Strangely though I liked Superboy.)

Edited by Kip Lewis on 05 April 2014 at 7:48pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

And don't get me started on him crying on every other comic book cover.

•••

Any time you have to shore up your argument with a complete fabrication, you've pretty much gutted said argument.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 5  

He dislikes the character and doesn't pursue professional assignments drawing him.  No big deal.  Superman's durable enough to handle fans and pros not liking him.

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

The cheesecake female characters Cho prefers to draw aren't exactly the most brilliantly conceived characters either. Terrific artist, dumb opinion.

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

It's his opinion, nothing wrong with it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeff Dyer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

Any character can be boring if written poorly.  His comment that Superman was ill-conceived shows his lack of understanding the very origins of the comic book industry.  More like the most perfectly conceived character!!

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm not familiar with him; which amazing characters has Frank Cho created?

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 10  

Why would anyone care if a creator doesn't like a superhero? It's not a personal slight against anyone liking Superman. Dan Slott says he's a big Spider-Man fan, how's that worked out for the character? Sometimes putting a creator on a title they're not familiar with, or even dislikes, can take a hero in interesting directions, as long there is professionalism in the creator, and strong editorial oversight in protecting the integrity of the character. Sadly, with the way Marvel runs their business, that's a pipe dream at this point.

Let's hope Superman fans wont wish death on Frank Cho, like the Nolanites did when anybody DARES mentions that the latest Batman franchise ain't the masterpieces they make it out to be.  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 11:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

He is not working on Superman and has expressed that he has no interest in drawing Superman, so what does it matter if he doesn't like Superman?

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2014 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 12  

Next to Batman, Superman is my favorite DC character; always has been and always will be. That said, even as a child, the one thing that bugged me was the disguise. Even in the conceit filled world of superhero comics, it stretches it ALMOST to the breaking point. A simple solution could be made; the glasses are made out of Kryptonian technology and they change his appearance as Kent. (It's a much better solution than "He moves his face really fast!")

That being said, personal tastes aside, Superman is a brilliant character sans that touchy characteristic. He's a brilliant Moses/Christ analog that combines the best of science-fiction with a good dose of humanism. 

I do agree that there are many characters more psychologically interesting than Superman (Batman heads that list) but there is a lot more to his iconic stature than just being the first.

Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version