Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Should Reprints be Recolored? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 1  

I've been buying a number of reprint collections and back issues lately, sometimes of the same work, and I find that I really wish they would recolor the reprint editions.  Some things I've bought recently...

Back issues of the original MOON KNIGHT series--With just incredible art by Bill Sienkiewicz, but fairly flat colors--due to the restrictions of the time, not any lack of talent by the colorists.  As far as I know, they haven't reprinted this series yet, but when they do, I hope they really go all out.

Marvel has been releasing a few shorter saddle-stitched reprint comics, like the Neal Adams INHUMANS from AMAZING ADVENTURES way back when.  Comparing the two, it's clear that the new book has been recolored--but following the original colors!  Things have been corrected all over the place, but no artistic changes.  And they did the same with the STAR LORD stories from the old Marvel magazines--but they left the Carmine Infantino stories in B&W!  Argh!  I would have gladly spent the $8 (or whatever it was) if they had colored those!  (I already own the John Byrne and Gene Colan stories in color.)

A while back, Marvel released an AMAZING FANTASY #15/AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 comic obviously recolored, with deep, rich computer colors that made Steve Ditko's art look incredible (well, incredible in a new way!).  Before that, they did a TALES OF ASGARD book with new colors over Kirby's powerful art--again, it looked great!

But for the most part, Marvel reprints everything with the original color schemes, but usually on slick paper.  It usually looks nicer than my old, yellowed originals (though there's something to be said for that yellowed newsprint look!), but I can't help but think that they could step it up a bit.  I would love to see Gene Colan's DAREDEVIL run recolored and released on good paper in a high quality edition.  When they charge $50 or $60 for not that many pages of story, I think they could do a little more than slap it all between two covers and ship it out.

I would also love to see really sharp (and recolored) reprint editions of some old favorites like (and I'll emphasize the artists here) Gene Colan's HOWARD THE DUCK, P. Craig Russell's KILLRAVEN, Paul Gulacy's MASTER OF KUNG FU, Rich Buckler's DEATHLOK, and many others.  And not only would these fine artists look better with the best coloring available, but many other simpler or less respected artists might really shine with modern methods.  Besides Kirby and Ditko, I'd love to see what they can do with George Tuska, Don Heck, Herb Trimpe, and Sal Buscema's work.

Should the older stories and artists forever be reprinted in flat colors simply because the technology and techniques did not exist when they first saw print?  And how about correcting things like the Hulk originally being colored gray (c'mon, we KNOW he was never really gray!) or Stan Lee calling Betty Ross "Betty Brant" in THE HULK or other typos?

Edited by Eric Jansen on 07 February 2014 at 8:18am
Back to Top profile | search

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 2  

As long as the original colors are used, I'm fine, but older material simply looks better on high quality non-glossy paper. The Jack Kirby Fourth World Omnibus' are the finest example of this that I've seen. As of now, they're the crowing jewel of my collection as reproductions go. Marvel and DC should be forced by law to reproduce all their classic material exactly like this.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 3  

As far as corrections, I'm all for it since the creators didn't intent to make those errors. It's the modern colors that I'm on the fence with. I've learned to accept things like the Neal Adams Batman trades (they really do look nice, just not ideal like the Kirby Omnibus')

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 4  

If it`s done well,i think some stuff would benefit,one example that springs to mind is the Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus,the re-colouring by Steve Oliffe really makes it a worthwhile purchase,it really complements Walt and Sal Buscema`s art.You`re right about Moon Knight,some of Bill S`s(Yes i`m too lazy to look up the correct spelling) best work and i think a sympathetic colour job would be brilliant.I`d love to see Master Of Kung Fu reprinted,but i think there are rights issues preventing that,due to the use of Fu Manchu,but i wonder if they just renamed the character in the same way that Marvel Man became Miracle Man they could get away with it relatively cheaply?

Edited by Bill Collins on 07 February 2014 at 8:28am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 5  

And then there's the recolor of Conan that Dark Horse did which was posted in a different thread.  Yikes!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 6  

No.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 7  

Only if it was the eye-bleeding flex print non-sense.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 8  

I am of two minds on this: if reprinted on paper like the original then no but If reprinted on new shiny paper - Kirby's Tales of Asgard comes to mind - and the colorist is respectful then it can work.

The shiny Masterworks and DC Archives don't look so good - to put it mildly- compared to later releases, like Kirby's Fourth World, done on paper that resembles the old work.  

Slight edit: Also believe Walt Simonson's Star Slammers is being remastered using new colors and what he has shared looks fantastic so this is really up to the material, paper etc. to my mind. 

Edited by Brennan Voboril on 07 February 2014 at 10:12am

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 9  

"And then there's the recolor of Conan that Dark Horse did which was posted in a different thread.  Yikes! "

Matt , do you have a link to that thread..I was just about to order Barry Windsor Smith's Vol.1 and 2 Hardcovers from Darkhorse.

Is it that bad?

Benny Hasa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 10  

Not for me. Then again, I tend to not buy many trades. I prefer the old fashioned comics even though I lower the resale everytime I read them. Still, I didn't buy them to resell them.

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 11  

There is a Steranko Nick Fury... Agent Of Shield TPB from a few years ago that was re-coloured. It's pretty awful, and the scans of the line art are pretty crappy too.

On the other hand, the Batman Year One edition I have is re-coloured (painted, not digitial) but it's beautiful, and it's done by the original colourist.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2014 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 12  

I would preferred "restored" with obvious errors corrected.

Although there are quite a few cases of recoloring jobs that are well done - there are just as many fiascoes.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version