Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Decompressed Writing Has Changed How I Read (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 1  

Can't speak to the others but Scot Snyder's Batman year zero is not in any away decompressed, thin on story or padded out. Each issue has as much going on as let's say Frank Miller's year one, for comparison.

-----

I'm enjoying Zero Year, and yes, there's a lot going on in each issue, but at the very least "Secret City" and "Dark City" need to be read as whole arcs.

The point remains that the idea of multi-part stories being a thing of the past is demonstrably false.
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 2:00am | IP Logged | 2  

I haven`t bought monthly comics for over a year as there is very little out there that interests me nowadays.I Have bought JB`s work as trades.In October i bought a tablet,this lead me to buy High Ways in digital Trade form for a lot less than i would pay for the paper version(To dip my toe in the digital comic water).I have since bought the individual digital issues of Triple Helix on the day of release.I have also bought a few digital trades that were on sale.So different cirumstances have changed my buying habits.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 3:25am | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
So I'm just imagining Forever Evil and Battle of the Atom and Infinity and Inhumanity and Batman: Zero Year and Goblin Nation and Gothtopia...

"Aside from particular writers". And Goblin Nation hasn't even started yet, so I don't know how you can judge how densely it is or isn't written. Hasn't Gothtopia only just started as well?

QUOTE:
The point remains that the idea of multi-part stories being a thing of the past is demonstrably false.

I don't think anyone's said that multi-part stories are gone. Just that we're no longer at the point where almost every story arc is a stretched thin 6 parter.

To look at Superior Spider-Man for example:

1: 1 parter
2: 1 parter
3: 1 parter
4-5: 2 parter
6: 1 parter
7-9: 3 parter
10: 1 parter
11-13: 3 parter
14: 1 parter
15-16: 2 parter
17-19: 3 parter
20-21: 2 parter
22-25: 4 parter

Even in comics like Chew, where every story arc is 5 issues long, individual issues have a lot more meat on their bones than a typical comic of the early 2000s, and make a point to recap each character's powers and circumstances.

It's certainly a far cry from things like Marvel's "Tsunami" line, where they launched 9 ongoing series all at once, and each first issue was "Part 1 of 6".

Edited by Lance Hill on 18 January 2014 at 3:56am

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 4  

A multi-part story is a very different thing from a thin, padded out story, and an all-out action story that is essentially a 22-page battle is just as thin of a story as one filled with talking heads. 
There are more comics out there with the right mix of plot, action, and character development today than when the "writing for trade" period was booming.

Outside of Bendis and Garth Ennis, I'd venture a guess that most writers today are not padding out a story.

Edited by Marc M. Woolman on 18 January 2014 at 5:59pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 3:44am | IP Logged | 5  

"Aside from particular writers". And Goblin Nation hasn't even started yet, so I don't know how you can judge how densely it is or isn't written. Hasn't Gothtopia only just started as well?

-----

"Aside from particular writers (Brian Bendis being the most notable example), the 10 minute comic and 6 part stories have mostly died out"

Do I need to read the book to understand that Part 1 of XX means that the story spans multiple issues? Batman: Zero Year is pretty densely written, but you still need to read multiple issues to get the complete story.

So aside from the person writing the flagship X-Men titles and the recent Avengers crossover and aside from the flagship Bat-titles and the flagship Justice League titles and flagship Avengers titles, multipart stories have mostly died out...

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 6  

A multi-part story is a very different thing form a thin, padded out story, and an all-out action story that is essentially a 22-page battle is just as thin of a story as one filled with talking heads. 

-----

Certainly, but it's still writing for the trade.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 7  

It has changed the way I read comics. I don't read many new comics
any more. By the time the trades come out I pretty much have forgotten
about them. I seriously only buy monthly comics based on artists I like.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 8  

Sadly, it doesn't matter if it's three issues, four issues, five, six or
twelve. I'm still putting them on a shelf until the story is completed.
Getting the trade, like Joe said would work most of the time, but my
LCS doesn't get every single trade. And since I don't collect much, I
don't get a Previews anymore. So, I've missed some stories.

Besides, I do like the feel of holding a monthly, and when I do get
around to reading them, a monthly is perfect for your bathroom time. If
you try reading a trade in there, your legs go numb.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
WATCHMEN isn't "decompressed." It's really very dense. That's the part these wannabes don't understand. By all means, have a story run six issues -- but FILL six issues.

Exactly. The original theory seemed to be that too much dialog would ruin the flow of "cinematic comics" but I detected what was really happening in the background early on--a coy attempt to take a simple premise and stretch it out far beyond what was appropriate. Marvel does this constantly with their ridiculous events.

Now, I've heard excuses that by doing this the dramatic tension is increased, but I haven't once found this to be the case. If I can't get inside the characters heads a bit, just by getting a feel of how they converse or even how they directly think, I find that I don't care about them nearly as much. 

Could it simply be that fans no longer have the attention spans to read caption boxes and characters that can actually form complete sentences? I've heard Grant Morrison comment a view times that that creators need to "reevaluate" stuff like caption boxes. What a revelation! 

Comics can indeed be too wordy, but I'd much rather have some meat with a bit of fat on it than a thin piece of overpriced fluff. 

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 10  

I wonder if WATCHMEN would be the success it was if it were released now.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 11  

If you try reading a trade in there, your legs go numb.
-----------------------------------------
LOL. You can stop!

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 12  

"a thin plot stretched over six issues..."

That's the definition of Bendis-itis, a disease which has affect many M***** titles.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version