Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: New Muslim Ms. Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 1  

If they have to put a Ms. Marvel in an Avengers movie (which I doubt will happen in the next one) can it not be Carol Danvers???
Back to Top profile | search

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2013 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 2  

From the drawing in the article, it seems the father character also has 'shape-changing' abilities to judge from the size of his hands too.

(Also, I notice that the cover to the first issue copies the cover to SUPERGIRL from the 90s.)

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 3  

Really hate the name "Ms. Marvel". No opinion on the character although I do agree that I want real Avengers to show up in the movies long before any newbies. We only get so many film outings to work with.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

So, Captain Marvel's (Mar'vell) son who is gay, is a shape-shifter.
The new Ms. Marvel, a Muslim, is a shape-shifter.

I sense an unintentional pattern forming.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 5  

Why not give Jean Grey the name Ms Marvel?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2013 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

Because she has the code name Jean Grey :)

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2013 at 1:13am | IP Logged | 7  

So, is that the Kree symbol for hope or an "S"?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2013 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 8  

The 'S' is Kree for Sassy

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2013 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 9  

"Slightly off topic is Baz still around ? "

Yes, he is a member of Justice League of America, the team with Martian Manhunter and Catwoman in the line up.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2013 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 10  

Never knew of a teen-age girl that wanted to be called "Ms".
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2013 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 11  

She's referencing the Carol Danvers outfit, so she's probably picked up the Carol Danvers codename. (Which, in comicbook time, Carol would have been calling herself "about ten years ago." (Which might work if the audience of this book is really early teens, because to them everybody ten years ago was calling themselves "Ms" while solving Rubiks cubes and carrying giant boom boxes around.))

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2013 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 12  

I'm not sure and of course it can't always be the case, but too many of these types of characters (and the fifteen minutes of fame headlines that they initially generate), strike me as little more than a need for validation. On whose part, well, who knows? 

I DO mind when an established heroic identity is swiped to be utilized this way. The funny thing is virtually every time that a new character is introduced, no matter what their sexual identity or ethnic derivation seems to be built around, the character itself doesn't bother me. I am open to having more diversity, even if it seems like mostly being about spinning this particular wheel for that initial swell of PR. I just do not need a new "version" of an established character, simply for diversity's sake! Do these creators not have enough confidence in their character or their own talent to allow a property to stand on its own? I agree with the member who said that this one has BOMB written all over it.

I guess that to me it just comes across as such a cheat to tack a known heroic role onto something "new" just to puff up a fragmented portion of fandom. This very common practice now seems like nothing but gimmickry. Was the Muslim-American community "screaming" for more heroes to relate to?  I don't recall reading any articles about that. Did the creative minds behind this Ms. Marvel, somehow miss Simon Baz as a new Green Lantern? Did he not cut the mustard enough for them? And yes, what about Dust?

Ethnic characters aren't bad or anything, there is plenty of room for more and more new heroes. Hell the wave never seems to abate anyway. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Shang-Chi may have been inspired by blaxploitation or kung fu movies, but the characters found a way to rise above that and survive. I'm uncertain whether the latest crop of "heroes, solely produced for backslapping congratulatory high fives in the media, will stand the test of time. Had any of these newbies been lauded for the strength of their characterizations or the sheer talent of those producing them, that would be a whole other matter. And that takes time, or at least occurs when its been seen by readers, not ahead of the publication.

Remember even Milestone didn't endure long, and that 1990's imprint was created to fill this kind of need!

Edited by Chuck Wells on 07 November 2013 at 9:47am

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version