Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Comic books are not a sound investment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 1  

to PETER HICKS

I agree and disagree -- those high grade books only have value to a very niche market, one which very finite and is dwindling in numbers.  But I've taken advantage of the buy-hold-sell a few times in recent years, making a pretty decent ROI.

to the new generation of collectors, silver age Green Lantern is meaningless.  To collectors in their 40s with newly discovered disposable income -- silver age Green Lantern is the lost paradise of their youth.  I would wager there are very very few new/young collectors seeking high-end silver age and golden age books.  These newbies do love old comics, but "old" is the 80s/90s and those comics are cheap and plentiful.  I know several LCS owners turning a good clip on buying collections like mine (6,000 books) for dirt and turning a good chunk of change out of them at 50cents/$1 a book.  Unfortunately, they only want to buy big lots of books as their supply dwindles -- so it's all about timing,

Back to Top profile | search

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 2  

I plan on offering my comics for trade as well. I just want to get rid of them since I want to get rid of my storage locker. I can store 5 comics better than 8 boxes. Will see what he says. I might drive them down to the US, maybe to Seattle, to see if there is a better market. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 3  

I keep the ones I enjoy and might want to re-read at some point, and I have given aways countless boxes of comics to friends that I didn't plan on reading again.

Reading comics has always been my hobby, not investing in comics.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

I've decided, instead, to burn them.  I'm working on an internet campaign to see if people will pay me 50cents a comic to watch me (via video) burn each comic.
-------------------------
Do you do book burnings as well?

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

I sent the Business Week article to two long time collector /reader friends of mine (35 plus years). I have heard back from them yet . . . .
There was some buzz about this article even over in the Comic Art L YAHOO discussion group.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 6  

Yeah, the burning idea is just wrong. I don't get it. I hope he was just joking. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

Why do people who can't get the amount of money they want for their comics threaten to burn them, throw them away, or otherwise destroy them? It certainly isn't a valid bartering tactic. Why not offer them for free to fellow collectors, at the very least. Or, if you can't find anybody to pay the amount you want, and you don't want to give them away (yet, you'd burn them... um), then at the very least, lower your price.

Threats to destroy comics (yes, I've heard this more than once in the past) because one can't get the price one wants for one's comics, sounds like having a tantrum and saying, "Well, if I can't get what I want, I'll make sure NO ONE gets my stuff."

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

Ah, let them burm their comics if they want. (Makes mine more valuable due to increased scarcity!)

On a more serious note, there are many organizationsout there that will accept the donation of your comics and give you a tax deduction. All things considered, a much less complicated and more civilized way to go about things. 

Ian Penman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 9  

I interviewed Stan Lee many years ago for the BBC. After the interview Stan very kindly signed all my Marvel no.1's.

I was talking to a comic dealer fairly recently and told him this. I was astonished to find that, as JB says, having the comics signed  would at best not affect their value and at worse knock the value down as they were 'defaced'! Fortunately, I got Stan to sign the inside front pages rather than the covers, as that would have really decreased the value! 

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

Ian, is your interview with Stan Lee online? If so, could you post a link?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

Ian, opinions on autographs are REALLY subjective. Some people will pay more for an autographed comic, others don't like them at all. I don't buy autographed comics at my shop, unless they are part of a larger collection, because there is such a disparity of opinion on how it affects the value.

I would not say "at best" signatures by the talent that produced the comic would not affect the value. Rather, at best, somebody may pay more for it, but it's not a guarantee. I don't agree that Stan Lee's signature defaces a comic he worked on, but I wouldn't say it increases the value any truly substantial amount, either.

The important thing is that you have an autograph because it means something to you, personally. I have gotten autographs for myself personally because it is a personal connection of a sort between me and something I enjoyed. I always have the celebrity/artist/writer personalize the autograph because I have no intention of reselling the item.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 03 November 2013 at 7:58pm

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2013 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

I currently have about 43 long boxes. Gonna try and give most of
them as charity to the Ronald McDonald house or an orphanage. I
tried to give them to St. Jude's, but due to there inability to make them
sterile, the kids can't have them.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic