Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: The First One is Free (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 1  

I feel like a drug dealer scoring his first junkie.
A rather dark attempt at humor but the sentiment is there. 

My father has always been supportive of my art. He however never was into it himself. He wasn't into comics or superheroes. 

But that has all just changed. After 69 years he has finally gotten into the genre. It began today with my suggestion that he watch Agents of Shield. He liked it a little but was confused about some of the details. I recommended he watch Avengers. Which to my surprise he did. 

I won't say he ran into my studio just now. He did have some pep in his step and was smiling and very animated as he talked to me about the movie. 
He has just began watching Thor whom he likes. 

It's great that even at his age he can discover the joy that comes from comics. 

Now if I can only turn him onto The Walking Dead and Doctor Who. My work will be complete. I know I can reach him. After all I discovered the X-Files because he watched the first two season with my mother.
Back to Top profile | search

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2013 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

Glad your dad has a little bit more open mind than mine does. At least he's taking a step beyond the old encouragement phase and actually trying it out.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2013 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 3  

Good on him.

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2013 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 4  

I had a similar experience when my mom started watching Batman the Animated Series back in the day. She never understood my love of comics as a kid, but then she'd be watching those cartoons (and Spider-Man, X-Men, Justice League) and suddenly she'd be lecturing me on the characters and story lines. When I would tell her about how the comics differed in many respects, she'd correct me by informing me what was in the cartoons.

I could never decide whether to be amused or offended.

Even now, she watches more superhero movies than I do. She's watched both the Amazing Spider-Man and The Dark Knight Rises, and wants to talk about them, even though I've told her I have zero interest in either film.

It's weird I tells ya!

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2013 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 5  

It's a great feeling to turn some one on to super heroes and see the joy in their face after word. However, from the title of this thread, I first thought Anthony was pimping out time with his avatar. ;-)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version