Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: a not-so-funny thing happened on the way to this forum (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 1  

I really loved the Power Man / Iron Fist commission I just saw.  As always (to me), JB knocked it out of the park!  Sadly, I was really surprised to see JB post ".....Not much love for Luke and Danny, huh" when nobody had commented but there had been 40+ views.  I remember some poor soul getting his head bitten off for a similar "not much love for..." comment a couple of years ago.  I am sure someone can give a reason why such a phrase was wrong back then and is correct now, but I really don't care to hear it.  Over the last few years I have only ventured here to look at the commissions and see JB's upcoming projects.  While this forum does still have a lot worth seeing, there is very little worth hearing/reading. 

This forum was once a great place to talk about comics, but it has turned into some sort of echo chamber where the self-righteous all love to bask in their own supposed intelligence and deride anyone who dares disagree.  Take an honest look at any thread having to do with religion, race, politics, gun laws, sexual orientation, or any hot button issue of the day.  What you will find is not as much of a discussion as it is an attempt to beat-down those with a differing opinion.

I remember the old Magnus board and how everyone reacted to 9/11/2001.  Members helped each other get from one part of the country to the other.  That was so cool.  People on the discussion board liked each other and it showed.  There were small personality conflicts on occasion (sand in Mon-el's vagina), but most of the drama was due to attacks on JB by Rich Johnston or Peter David and everyone on the board defending him and his work.  Now the board is full of snark and political hatred and religious hatred and gun hatred and hatred of anyone who does not believe whatever the majority (here) believes.  People here have views that are important to them being crapped on by guests, mods, and ..... others as well.  Just like the same innocent phrase can be taboo or proper depending on who said it, no views are important unless they are your vastly more intelligent views.  Is it so cool to post snark about an old peanut butter religious comment HERE instead of back on YouTube where it originated?  You are not going to change my mind about religion any more than I am going to change yours, so why don't we all just STFU and stop acting like children about religion (yes, the multi-level irony is intentional).

Even though they were part of the glue that used to bring people to discuss things with JB and other board members, you can't talk about movies or Star Trek or TV in the main forum because there MUST BE separate forums for that.  If only those topics could be part of the main board and someone would throw discussions of guns, religion, politics, etc. into other non-comic related forums.  I truly thought this was supposed to be a place to come and discuss JB's comic book work and related things that we ALL love, not some amalgam of 15% that and 85% Huffington Post.  Other than occasionally getting to look at the great artwork and to see what projects JB will be working on next, the only thing I have gained from coming here for the last several years is another opportunity to be offended. 

If anyone takes the time to respond to this, it is certainly going to be something like "if you don't like it, go somewhere else you whiny asshole" or "why don't you make your own forum."  Well, I do go elsewhere (which is my entire point) and I don't want my own forum because even I have little interest in what I have to say.  I LOVE JB's art and story telling, but I hate the completely unrelated bullshit that is always slapping me in the face on this board.  I am such a huge JB comic book fan.  HUGE!  That being said, I HATE to come here but am still compelled to the reasons already stated.  I cannot imagine anyone coming here for the other sewage and gaining any kind of appreciation for comic books in general or the work of JB in particular.  Shouldn't those be the main reasons for this board to exist instead of all the hatred?

In the words of a former regular, "{sigh}"
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 2  

I find it interesting that you took the time to write all of this down and post it Greg.
I can't figure out what type of discussion you're trying to enable. (that's what is good about this forum, people can share their opinions, in ADDITION to seeing John Byrne's commission work and 'speaking' directly to him)

I don't participate in political threads because no one is forcing me to, but I'm not complaining because other people post in them. Heck, no one is forcing me to post in THIS thread.

You said, "Shouldn't those be the main reasons for this board to exist..."

Well, no.
It exists for whatever reason John Byrne wants it to exist. If HE wasn't happy with this forum, it wouldn't be here, plain and simple. I believe it exists to help promote John Byrne's work and to serve as entertaining discussion for him, we're just invited along for the ride.

It sounds like you don't like what you think is negativity, but anyone is always welcome to post topics about positivity, yourself included. I visit this site everyday, but don't post very often because I don't have much to share so it's difficult for me personally to get where you're coming from.
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 3  

Take an honest look at any thread having to do with religion, race, politics, gun laws, sexual orientation, or any hot button issue of the day
~~~~~~~
Do you think that only happens here?  There's a reason why you don't bring up those topics in polite conversation. 

If you are unhappy with certain things here don't be apart of those things. Only be apart of what you are comfortable with. IF you hate doing something. Stop doing it. 

Certainly people don't get along here at times. But that's true of everywhere. Things can get annoying here from time to time. However this place is a good deal better than the cesspool the internet can be. 

Greg if you are looking for some good cheer. Try starting some topics to promote that. Don't be apart of the problem. Be the start of the solution.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 14 September 2013 at 7:40am

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 4  

That being said, I HATE to come here but am still compelled to the reasons already stated.

I'm here mainly for discussions about comics and JB's stuff and there are definitely sometimes when I feel uncomfortable about some of the topics posted. There are certain threads that I avoid because I don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation outside of "I disagree". I post multiple times a week in the New Comics thread and even though there are many on this forum who think new comics are terrible, they tend to stay away from that thread. Sometimes posters get a little personal but I think Matt  and the other mods do a good job of keeping pure negativity off the site. There will always be some debate with almost any thread and if you know that you're going to be offended, just don't click on it. Anthony's right when he says you can start some topics that will promote good cheer. Fun topics are always welcome!

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 5  

What this seems to boil down to is that you were offended by the recent remarks on religion in the peanut butter thread. I'm assuming, at least. Well, as a wise man once said, nobody has the right to not be offended. I'm sure you're well aware that JB is an atheist, and since forums dedicated to specific individuals usually embody their tastes and beliefs, criticism of religion is going to be par for the course. 

I have no sympathy for people that can't discuss religion and politics without getting offended at the first sight of challenge. I'm not saying this is you specifically, this could have been building up over a long period, but I strongly believe that the old adage is tired and has been respected for far too long ("Never discuss religion and politics"). 

I don't think anybody here openly dislikes Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc, just because they have religious beliefs. I live by the old adage "I disagree with everything you say, but would fight to the death to defend your right to say it." My personal comments and feelings are what I see as thoughtful criticism based on what I've learned and what I see when I perceive reality, not a deep emotional hatred or personal bias against religion. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 6  

At the risk of repeating myself, boo-frickin'-hoo.

What's being (deliberately?) overlooked here is the CONTEXT in which I have grumbled about people using the phrase "…no love for…" It actually ties in directly with my I usually (tho not always) avoid participating in lists.

Someone will ask "Hey, JB, who are your favorite pencilers", for example, and I'll respond with "Joe Kubert, Neal Adams, Jack Kirby, Garcia Lopez…" Almost immediately there will come a response of "No love for _____ ______?"

Any idea how annoying that is? Like I'm being tested, and I must give a COMPLETE answer, or be called on the carpet for it.

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 7  

I don't think there's another place on the web that has taught me better to think twice before posting anything. I have on too many ocassions written a reply here and then erased it thinking I wasn't really gonna add much to the subject or might even be "speaking" without enough knowledge of the subject.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 8  

I also find the threads on politics and religion too much at times, so I just avoid them.  What I learn from others here greatly outweigh what don't like.

The segmentation of the topics is fine with me.  I can only take Sci-fi and Music threads in small doses.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 9  

I think the segmentation is fine,as i know exactly where to look to see what`s being said about the topics that interest me.Most other forums do this too! As for hating coming here? Why not take the pebble out of your shoe?
I have a friend who goes to sites such as Christians against Slipknot,she is a Catholic who had no idea who Slipknot are until i informed her,but still she went on the site and was offended by the so called Christian attitude to what is just another rock group.She has enough problems in her personal life without going looking for things to get offended about,i suggest you go to where you are happy instead of upsetting yourself.

Bill Sandefur
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 10  

Greg, I must say that I am deeply offended by the offense you take from the offending posts that offend you.

Dude, in all seriousness, I have to say that, if this site offends you, I can't believe you can even go on the internet at all. It is chock full of opinions that don't agree with your thinking. Opinions that don't agree with my thinking. And opinions that don't agree with any type of rational thinking whatsoever.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 11  

you can't talk about movies or Star Trek or TV in the main forum because there MUST BE separate forums for that.  If only those topics could be part of the main board and someone would throw discussions of guns, religion, politics, etc. into other non-comic related forums

I've thought about this as well.

I'd much prefer the main forum to be "fun" and then search out the more heavy topics if I'm in the mood for them.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2013 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 12  

I'd much prefer the main forum to be "fun" and then search out the more heavy topics if I'm in the mood for them.

••

Must be terrible, being forced to come here, day after day.

Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version