Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: Do you think the US should go into Syria? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2013 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 1  

The only real thing the United States can do is what they did after World War 2. Occupy and change the entire system. Devaluate the religion that holds them back. It worked for Germany and Japan. Of course they will never do this and the world will continue on the same path it is on now. 

The US should have taken over Iraq and ran it until they were able to run it themselves. Arrest the corrupt ones and put in a puppet government until it ran smoothly then give it back to them.  Crush the radicals and the opposition fiercely. Same as with Afghanistan.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Van Gessel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2013 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

This country always needs a war and supports it with any excuse. It's among the biggest sources of revenue for private contractors.

Back to Top profile | search

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 3  

No (and after Iraq I am not buying the "evidence" we've seen so far).

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 01 September 2013 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

When was the last time the US won a war?  I don't mean the hollow victories where we hang around until it looks like we didn't do too badly and then withdraw with as much dignity as we can muster, but actually win. WWII, and we (the US and allies) pretty much leveled Germany and Japan in the process.

That is how you win a war.  I'm not a war-hawk. I don't think we should get involved in Syria, but if we are going to then we need to actually do it.  All the way. The idea of precision strikes is ludicrous.  We're talking about going to war against a regime that has no qualms about gassing its own people, and we're worried about gentility. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 01 September 2013 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 5  

Robert White wrote:
Unless you can directly obliterate the head brass of Syria that're responsible for the attacks, it's not even remotely worth it.

So do we obliterate Assad, whose government MIGHT have launched chemical attacks against the rebels and against his own civilian countrymen, or do we obliterate the rebels, who MIGHT have launched chemical attacks against Assad's own civilian countrymen in hopes of provoking a foreign military response against Assad's forces?

Tell me, please, because based on everything I've read, NOBODY really seems to have a good idea of WHO is really to blame for the attacks.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2013 at 12:20am | IP Logged | 6  

Revealed: Britain sold nerve gas chemicals to Syria 10 months after war began

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 02 September 2013 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 7  

You can go back farther than that and find some intriguing "smoking guns," Jodi -- the Daily Mail pulled this article down and it completely disappeared due to litigation, but the archived story still exists online:

U.S. backed plan to launch chemical attack on Syria (29 January 2013)

Details on why the story was retracted

Brian Kelly
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2013 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 8  

What do we REALLY know of this situation?

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 02 September 2013 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 9  

Next to nothing, from what I can tell Brian.

:-(

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2013 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 10  

I read an article in the Washington Post that stated that a missile attack by the US is intended to be a one-time punishment for Assad using chemical weapons.  According to the article, our military and Obama know that it won't do anything to help the Syrian rebels or to end the civil war.  It's just to deter chemical weapon use by any country.  The article also made a point that the UN can't do anything in Syria because Russia (as a permanent Security Council member) has veto power over any UN intervention and has been using it.

This is a no-win situation. I wish there was something that could be done to prevent the murder of innocent children. However, the solution can't always be "drop more bombs." I'm always pretty distrustful of how many of these decisions are made to serve the military-industrial complex. If I had to decide today, it would be for no military intervention. The US should pursue aggressive diplomatic solutions in conjunction with our allies.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2013 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 11  

So let's be clear John , you believe that Obama and his administration gassed those citizens so to attack Assad? Is that what you believe?

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2013 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

Also, I am only finding that one article as proof to your theory. Tons of sites say the same thing as you did, but they all use that one article as the source of their proof.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 02 September 2013 at 12:58pm

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version