Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Has Marvel Ruined The Hulk As A Character? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 1  

The Incredible Hulk was my favorite marvel Hero. The comic was my first buy as a kid, and my first regular monthly purchase, other than the Fantastic Four. It was a simple premise, Man gets irradiated, Man turns into powerful, misunderstood monster, Man seeks cure to stop from changing into powerful, misunderstood monster. Now the character is unrecognizable to me. I get that it must be hard to come up with fresh stories, but I have absolutely have no idea who the Hulk is, how strong is he, what's his motivation, etc. It seems that every time a new writer gets on the book, they take the Hulk to these wildly divergent extremes, then the writer leaves and the next writer that comes on the book takes the character on another out -of character story arc. Quite frankly, I don't know what the Hulk's character IS anymore. To say nothing of all the Hulk clones that now diminish it's original creation. Another reason I don't buy comic books at all anymore. Can the Incredible Hulk come back from this? Did Marvel ruin the character? Here's an article on IFanboy from Jim Mroczkowski talking about this..http://ifanboy.com/articles/what-are-the-hulk-rules/

Edited by James Howell on 17 July 2013 at 10:56am
Back to Top profile | search

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 2  

It's not limited to The Hulk.

Marvel has ruined every single one of their flagship characters. The term "pissed on" comes to mind.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 3  

What characters haven't Marvel ruined?

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 4  

Yes.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 5  

It was a simple premise, Man gets irradiated, Man turns into powerful, misunderstood monster, Man seeks cure to stop from changing into powerful, misunderstood monster. 

-----

At this point, Hulk has spent more time not being this than he has being this.
When I first started reading the Hulk, he had just recently been remerged after Banner and Hulk were physically separated. That was what? 27 years ago? Since that time, while there have been some mostly aborted attempts to return to this formula, the Hulk has not been this. We had "Joe Fixit", merged Hulk, JB's run, Paul Jenkins' multi-Hulk thing, the WTH? Bruce Jones run, Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, World War Hulks, Hulk getting separated again and Bruce Banner turning evil, and the current Hulk, agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. That's more than half his existence not following the formula you describe above. 

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm enjoying the current run. It has an interesting premise.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

Have they explained why, even though he's now called "Indestructible" instead of "Incredible," the Hulk wears armor?

Not that I won't find any explanation anything but stupid, mind you. I'm just wondering if there was one.

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

"At this point, Hulk has spent more time not being this than he has being this.
When I first started reading the Hulk, he had just recently been remerged after Banner and Hulk were physically separated. That was what? 27 years ago? Since that time, while there have been some mostly aborted attempts to return to this formula, the Hulk has not been this. We had "Joe Fixit", merged Hulk, JB's run, Paul Jenkins' multi-Hulk thing, the WTH? Bruce Jones run, Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, World War Hulks, Hulk getting separated again and Bruce Banner turning evil, and the current Hulk, agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. That's more than half his existence not following the formula you describe above. "
You just made my point, Michael..I just got whiplash trying to make sense of all these changes..Who is the Hulk?

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

Yes. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 10  

Yes, and many others.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 11  

For a character to be truly "ruined" takes more than what the publishers do to him/her. It also takes the anal retentive fanboys who Won't Let Go.

Rob Shalda
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 12  

The current book is a good read,but I long for the days when there was just one Hulk. I will always prefer the childlike Hulk over any other version. Too many Hulks spoiled the soup.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version