Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne’s Fantastic Four Artist’s Edition (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2013 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 1  

I picked up the JB FF Artist's Edition today. IDW did an excellent job in the
reproduction and loved seeing the artwork in its rare form, warts (whiteout
glue stains0 and all but.......
I was left wanting. I understand how hard it is to put a book like this
together since many of the pages have been sold to different people. I felt
the book was incomplete, not including FF 242 "Terrax the Untamed", and FF
244 "Beginnings and Endings" the introduction of Nova. FF 244 is one of my
favorite issues from JB's run on the book.
But all in all it is a good book and I recommend picking it up for any fan of
JB's work on the FF.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

Maybe if the X-Men volume has non-sequential pages it could be a portfolio style artist edition like Golden's GI Joe!

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 3  

I have been John Byrne's biggest fan since before the original issues were first published, and I could not be happier to have this book!
It's as close to owning the original pages as I could ever be. Great reproduction. (I love the use of white-out for the cobwebs in Frankie's flashback and the jungle foilage in Wakanda)

I've spent loads of time looking at these issues over the years, but this is something else entirely!

-Sorry to say that 3 of the pages are crinkled. rrrrrr
A printing malfunction I assume. I wonder if mine is the only instance?

Bit of a bummer.

Back to Top profile | search

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2013 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'd like to take a moment to share something that just occurred to me.

In another current thread I mentioned how, when I was a child, John Byrne was my greatest influence as a cartoonist and how I wanted to BE JB, the artist, "when I grew up."  At that time, had I been old enough I probably could have scored some original art from John at a convention for a comparable pittance of what it would cost me today.  But I was twelve or thirteen years old and didn't have, oh, fifty or seventy-five bucks for an original Uncanny X-Men or Iron Fist page.

Sigh.

Fast forward to 2013, and here we are in the age of these Artist's Editions, where we can see high-resolution 100% faithful reproductions of original art by creative giants, John among them.  And not only that...I get to communicate with John about the work itself.  His tools, his process, his opinions.  And not only that, he shares tips with me, gives me advice and has even pushed me to go further with my work.

Something very cool about all of this that I could not have imagined my thirteen-year old self would have had an opportunity to experience.

Carry on...

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2013 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 5  

Right there with you, Glenn.

(Since posting on previous page of this thread, I have since badgered
my comics dealer via text to meet me at an undisclosed location to
swap said Artist Edition for cash; he usually delivers to me on Sunday)

JB, congrats!

AND, of course, a question!

What as the first piece of originsl artwork you saw, and, was it complete
with scratching a if rain, or whited out patches or retouchings?

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2013 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 6  

I haven't even unwrapped the book, but the front cover left me with a
wide grin, while the child in me squealed with joy when I turned it over
and saw this...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kincade
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2013 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

This is a gorgeous book. I'm about halfway through studying the pages, but have looked through the entire book. It's a real treat seeing JB's style slowly evolve over the course of the pages included.

The double-page spread from "This Land Is Mine" is absolutely stunning presented in the actual size and in black and white as opposed to the smaller, colored reprints available in the Visionaries and Omnibus versions.

Great job by IDW and of course much admiration for the talent of Mr. Byrne.

Worth every penny!

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 8  

Great job with this book. What a beautiful presentation of JB's work.
The has now become my new favorite thing. Almost to the point that if
The house was on fire, that's what I'd grab on the way out. Kids and
pets are on there own.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 4:42am | IP Logged | 9  

What as the first piece of originsl artwork you saw, and, was it complete with scratching a if rain, or whited out patches or retouchings?

••

The first original comicbook art I saw would be hard to single out. The ACA had a gallery that brought in different shows, and knowing my interest in comics, the curator very kindly book a show on same. There were probably forty pieces, framed behind glass. Quite a range of work, from Eisner to Adams (Neal) to Kirby to Ditko to even a LITTLE ANNIE FANNIE page by Elder. I spent many an hour in the gallery, studying those pieces, even measuring them, trying to figure out How To Do It. Living on the dark side of the Moon, as I did, there was literally no one to SHOW me how to do it!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 4:43am | IP Logged | 10  

…high-resolution 100% faithful reproductions of original art by creative giants, John among them.

••

Given the others who are collected in this series, you have no idea what a mind-bending kick it is to be included among them!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 11  

Flipping thru this volume, there are several things that come immediately to the forefront -- elements of my art back then that I look back on and shake my head. Those of you who aspire to be artists might learn a lesson or three here.

• Too many meaningless lines. Back in the day, I had my own little "rule" for drawing backgrounds: Never use one line when you can use two, or three. Sometimes this worked, but more often it created masses of spidery lines that had no real function in the construction of the drawings, and very often closed up in the printing.

Over the next several years, I pushed myself away from this technique -- if I may call it such! -- and, typically, the pendulum swung too far the other way, and the drawings became too open. These days, I think I strike a happy medium, but those of you who wish to become comicbook artists should keep always in mind that you are working toward the finished product. Your job is to create something that will look its best on the printed pages, not as a piece of original art.

This relates also to…

• Line weight. In my early years, I seem to apply different weights of line almost arbitrarily. There does not seem to be a lot of thought about using line not only to give weight to the figures/objects, but also to define depth. It's such a blindingly obvious thing, really, that the further back in the panel an object is, the thinner should be the lines defining it, yet it took me YEARS to figure it out. Most often, I depended on the colorist to define depth, and that failing becomes especially apparent in black and white.

• Random spotting of blacks. Thru the issues reprinted here I am struck that I often used more blacks than I do now -- but very few of them were used in truly effective ways. They were dropped in helter skelter, without real consideration of how they defined the forms, or the depth, in the panels. Again, working away from this, I went too far, and my "middle period" is again too open. There is something too much of the coloring book to be seen there!

• Cartoon faces. This was not something I did consciously, but I am very aware of it in the earlier issues in this collection. Building faces was one of the things it took me the longest to really master (if I can say I have "mastered" it even now), and my "heroic" faces tended often to be too simple, and too similar. As I flipped toward the back of this book, it was gratifying to note stronger, more distinctive faces appearing more frequently.

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 12  

The Artist Edition looks fantastic. I love all of your work old and new. What you consider some of your older work as unsatisfying, is fantastic to me. After you pointing out these reasons and changes to your work, a light appeared through my clouds and had thoughts of "oh I see". The changes are really evident in your new work. Very cool. To me your skill and talent is and keeps getting better. It's commendable that you keep striving to better your work. Unlike so many that have stayed in a neutral gear or have actual digressed.

Sorry for straying off topic.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version