Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Whats wrong with Moon Knight? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 1  

because of the ...well...you know...the other guy...the DC knight of the night.
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

This is all just my opinion but I loved the first series as long as it was Moench and Sienkiewicz. Other attempts tended to have any combination of bad art and dull villains. I read every series up until the first few issues of the Huston/Finch run. It seemed to push the violence factor to shock levels. I haven't picked up an issue since.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 3  

I never got Moon Knight at all. My only interest came when I found Sienkiewicz' art drawing me to it-- and even then I couldn't comprehend the character at some fundamental level.

Does he have "moon" power? What is that? Does he fight supervillains? What are his powers? What was his deal? I could never get a grip on it with my many exposures to the guy-- nothing stuck in my head. Before he even seemed to have arrived completely on the scene, he seemed to be suffering from some kind of identity crisis. I couldn't penetrate that -- feeling repelled instead of interested. Even today I'm only vaguely able to remember his multiple identities, his helicopter and his little moon knives. Is he rich? Is he from some kind of monastic order? Is he crazy? I just don't know.

To me, he felt like the very definition of half-baked.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

Moon Knight always reminded me of Marvel's version of Batman. Other than the Sienkiewicz run I was never really interested in the character. Those multiple personalities were way too confusing.
D'accord.  I think the multiple personalities were a way of differentiating from Batman but the Dark Knight does multiple personalities too... it's called disguises and acting!  I enjoyed Sienkiewicz's run and a couple Kevin Nowlan issues that followed but was soon gone.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 5  

Does he have "moon" power? What is that? Does he fight supervillains? What are his powers? What was his deal?
Yeah, his "origin" as told in Moon Knight 1 by Moench and Sienkiewicz seemed to feature supernatural elements with Khonshu and the whole Egyptian spirit and moon angle (he was resurrected and seemed beholden to being some sort of avenging spirit), but that stuff seemed only to get lip service in subsequent issues I read.  He also got bitten by Jack Russell at one point and took on typical lunar cycle-based strength, but that faded, too.  I seem to recall him giving up his identities at some point, but that didn't stick apparently either.  An already complicated character made too patchwork and confusing from various attempts to freshen him up over the years, I have no idea what he's about now either.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

But I never saw him as a Batman clone.

Rich guy living in a mansion. Has a butler and a large underground headquarters. Ask the average non comic fan who that sounds like.

~~~~~~~~

The question wasn't what the average non comic fan thinks.But how about these other fellows

Non comic fans might say oh I don't know maybe
Iron Man or The Green Hornet or The Shadow. 

Millionaire playboy is old hat there has to be more to it than that. 
 Now Moon Knight maybe Marvel's answer to Batman but if the origin is different then he isn't a clone. IIRC Moon Knight was something of a bad guy in his first appearance. His origin I believe was he was a mercenary who was betrayed and left for dead by a former associate. Khonshu saved his life so that he would act as his avatar. So Marc Specter was redeeming himself. Unlike Batman who is who he is because of the death of his parents. It's his desire to save others from the fate of his parents.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 31 May 2013 at 2:28pm

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think his look holds him back. All white, hood and cloak and a mask. For some reason it's an awkward visual look.

===================================================

His costume is actually silver. Hence the reason why he was an opponent of the Werewolf.

Edited by Greg McPhee on 31 May 2013 at 1:46pm

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

Rich guy living in a mansion. Has a butler and large underground headquarters. Wears a cape and cowl. Expert in martial arts and hand to hand combat. Uses lots of weapons and gadgets.

Come on, Anthony, while he's not an exact clone of Batman, you're being intellectually dishonest if you don't accept that they are pretty close.

Yes, Moon Knight has the whole Khonshu/moon thing, three identities, mercenary background, etc....but IMO that just serves to overly complicate him and almost draws attention the fact that he's "Batman...but with this other stuff too!"

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 9  

His costume is actually silver. Hence the reason why he was an opponent of the Werewolf.

==

Another problem. He's almost always colored white.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

Even though he had 4 different identities, originally he wasn't depicted as schizophrenic or crazy. He used each identity as a facet on his war on crime. It was post-Moench writers that began to have the MPD really takeover.

I thought that Doug Moench and Bill Sienkiewicz was the best run.Great stories and they built up a pretty good rogues gallery. 

Later writers dropped the ball, but I though Chuck Dixon did a reasonable job in his 1989 - 1991 run. Only marred by the constant intrusions of The Punisher!!

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

"I like him - he has visual appeal (see below)"
-----
The image you posted takes away one of the things I find most visually interesting about the character. If his cape isn't fastened to his wrists, you don't get that neat crescent-moon effect.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

Outside of the excellent Moench/Siekiewiscz/Janson stuff I enjoyed in
the back of THE HULK! magazine - and the first few issues of the
subsequent ongoing series - I don't have much interest in the character.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version