Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: A World without Wolverine (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

I think the last time I enjoyed Wolverine was during the Larry Hama/Mark Silvestri run. I still for the life of me don't understand why, as the comics got grimer, they decided to stick Wolverine in his less appealing yellow outfit...
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 May 2013 at 4:22am | IP Logged | 2  

I think the last time I enjoyed Wolverine was during the Larry Hama/Mark Silvestri run. I still for the life of me don't understand why, as the comics got grimer, they decided to stick Wolverine in his less appealing yellow outfit...

••

There's an important element to keep in mind when asking that question. I changed Wolverine to the brown-on-brown costume I designed because the yellow and blue tiger-striped version had nothing to do with what wolverines look like. And I mean NOTHING. I wanted to get him into the kind of costume told you something about the character -- that helped to pick him out of a group. As I have said before (based on something Stan himself said), if we look at this grouping, imagining ourselves not to have heard of any of these characters before. . .

…which one looks like this…

...?

The answer, of course, is "none of the above".*

But over the years, I have been depressed more than once to discover just how many fans/readers DON'T CARE about this most fundamental "rule" of character/costume design. Show them a tall, skinny guy wearing a bright green costume with a blue cape and tell them that he's called "Volcano" and most won't even blink. So Wolverine keeps getting sent back to the yellow and blue suit because that's the one many fans/artists first saw. That's the "real" Wolverine.

_____

* Famously, Stan picked the most "animalistic" member of the team, Nightcrawler, and asked if he was Wolverine. He also asked -- very logically, if you think about it -- if Storm was Banshee.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2013 at 5:05am | IP Logged | 3  

Can't stress enough how much I agree with you here Robert. There's pretty much nothing about Wolverine's character or background that seems to indicate that this grim, dark, former secret agent/soldier would want to wear something that's bright yellow and blue! I mean jeez if nothing else, wouldn't he have learned anything about camouflage/stealthy approaches from his military background?

I know this is a bit paranoid, but part of me always wondered if Joe Q's mandated change away from the brown outfit was a way of reclaiming the character from the changes JB made to the look of him. Almost like a big middle finger for JB not wanting to work with that regime at Marvel. (And I feel similarly about the JB FF costumes. As both were definite improvements. Can't understand why they felt the need to go back to designs that don't look as good. And the new white costumes look even worse.)

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2013 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 4  

This whole topic has a very 'Butterfly Effect' sense to it. I'm now wondering if someone had went back in time to try to dissuade young JB from supporting Wolverine's inclusion at that moment, would the then JB have listened? LOL! ;)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 May 2013 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 5  

I'm now wondering if someone had went back in time to try to dissuade young JB from supporting Wolverine's inclusion at that moment, would the then JB have listened?

••

Most likely not.

Like I said, I wasn't particularly inclined to wrap myself in the flag when I lived in Canada, but I did feel somewhat protective toward the only Canadian superhero then appearing regularly in mainstream comics.

Mind you, if that time traveler could have actually SHOWN me the shape of my career, and the industry, as it rippled out from that one moment -- THEN I might have listened!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 May 2013 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 6  

I know this is a bit paranoid, but part of me always wondered if Joe Q's mandated change away from the brown outfit was a way of reclaiming the character from the changes JB made to the look of him.

••

Wolverine returned to the yellow and blue long before Quesada came on the scene. When I followed Chris as writer on UNCANNY, one of the first things Jim Lee so proudly announced to me was that he was putting Wolverine back in his "real" costume. Apparently he was unaware of who it was who had made the change in the first place.

(Or perhaps he thought I'd been "forced" to change Logan's suit. There is so much myth-making behind the scenes!)

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2013 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 7  

Wolverine has lost alot of depth since the Wolverine/Ghost Rider/Punisher 90's Marvel and under the Joe Q Regime, they've managed to take away alot of his mystery (and fun).  Look no further than the way he is currently written as a guy who murders people...but only for the right reasons. I'd argue that his body count since the 90's matches the Joker's body count.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2013 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 8  

Wolverine returned to the yellow and blue long before Quesada came on the scene. When I followed Chris as writer on UNCANNY, one of the first things Jim Lee so proudly announced to me was that he was putting Wolverine back in his "real" costume. Apparently he was unaware of who it was who had made the change in the first place.

Ah, you're right JB. Think for a moment there, I was confusing it with a comment by an artist a few years back on one of the Wolverine spin-off titles who for a brief time tried to bring back the Brown outfit, but found that JoeQ was very insistent that Wolverine be in the yellow and blue colours again. Think I had taken that to mean that he enforced the return of the yellow one in the first place, when yeah, clearly that was before he got the top post.

And that is definitely a very ironic comment for Jim Lee to have made to you!

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2013 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 9  

Mind you, if that time traveler could have actually SHOWN me the shape of my career, and the industry, as it rippled out from that one moment -- THEN I might have listened!

Hahahah! That should be standard advice for any traveler coming from the future. if you wish to convince anyone to help you with a change, then above all else-Bring proof! Your word will never be enough! LOL!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2013 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 10  

No, no, no, no, no, JB. You turn out fine. It's your kids, Chief. Something gotta be done about your kids!

Edited by Eric Ladd on 27 May 2013 at 8:26am

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2013 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 11  

My first exposure to Wolverine was an episode of "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends",where the Juggernaut was heading to the X-Mansion to take out Xavier. I knew nothing of the X-Men at the time,but I remember thinking that the one with claws(and weird accent....Australian was it?) was kinda lame. Years later,reading the "Classic X-Men" book,I liked the character in the team but thought Colossus and Nightcrawler were way cooler. The problem was,I was also reading "Uncanny X-Men" alongside "Classic X-Men"(this was just after the "Fall of the Mutants")and the differences in Wolverine's character from the two books were kinda jarring. I preferred the "Classic X-Men" title by a long shot. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William T. Byrd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2013 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 12  

I always thought McFarlane had something to do with Wolverine going back to the yellow costume after he was on the cover for one of the early issues of McFarlane's Spider-Man title. The guy behind the register that rang that issue up for me said something to the effect that Wolverine was in his right costume on that cover.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version