Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Star Byrnes (Byrne Wars?) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 10 May 2013 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

That was something I never understood. Vader actually knew Princess Leia yet the force never once gave him a clue that she was his daughter. The dark side ended up being pretty lame in the power department.  
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 May 2013 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As I have noted on many a previous occasion, STAR WARS has become a victim of what I call PLANET OF THE APES Syndrome. We start with a one-off, but then "sequels" and even "prequels" are added which actually so alter the story that the original no longer fits.

Everything Lucas and his hired writers "added" really subtracted from the story as presented in the original. (And this is without even factoring in the "Lucasizing" of the original -- scenes actually being CHANGED in order to accommodate George's shifting "vision".)

I mentioned recently that other works that have succumbed to PotA Syndrome include STAR TREK, THE MATRIX, ROBOCOP and I supposed even MEN IN BLACK, since the most recent sequel does not really "fit" with what went before.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 May 2013 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Remembered just now that I still had a copy on my harddrive of a drawing I did for a friend, a few years back. Himself as Darth Vader. So, a little cut and paste and. . .

Obviously the line quality on the, er, little head doesn't quite match up to the much larger original I pasted it into!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2013 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That was something I never understood. Vader actually knew Princess Leia yet the force never once gave him a clue that she was his daughter. The dark side ended up being pretty lame in the power department.  

----

She obviously had a low midichlorian count. *cringe*

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2013 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

shielding Luke from a horrible truth

Is Luke a fragile twelve year old, or an adult who should be treated as such? There was no reason for Kenobi to "lie," and no reason to retcon him into a liar.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 May 2013 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There was no reason for Kenobi to "lie," and no reason to retcon him into a liar.

This is the part that truly astonishes me about those who have drunk the Kool-Aid. EMPIRE began by disassembling STAR WARS and using the parts to build a whole different story. Yet those of us who complained were -- and still are -- dismissed as some kind of freaks.

As I have said before, since all we in the audience have to guide us thru the story is what the storyteller tells us, if the storyteller decides to say "changed my mind", he better have a MUCH better reason than "I wanted to make this longer". (And he better not try telling us he HASN'T changed his mind, either!)

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Imagine a young Alec Guinness (or, more realistically, an actor cast as
young Kenobi, perhaps even McGregor) fighting Christian Bale over a
volcano, with the result being the composite Vader image JB posted
above.

Works for me! Way cooler than what we got.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 10 May 2013 at 12:59pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Leia thing was a twist too far. The Vader/Luke thing is imperfect, but I don't see it as being a disastrous decision. No aspect of the Leia thing works. Luke's faith in Vader's ability to be redeemed felt missplaced to me and then Vader's sudden switching against the Emperor didn't work for me either. I'd have believed he could have turned against the Emperor out of greed or anger, but not out of virtue.

Awesome composite picture of Vader btw!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yeah, he feel the Force in Luke, but not in Luke's twin sister. And wasn't it stated somewhere that the Force is strong in the Skywalker family? So strong that Vader can't even feel it in his own daughter?

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2013 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yeah, he feel the Force in Luke, but not in Luke's twin sister. And wasn't it stated somewhere that the Force is strong in the Skywalker family? So strong that Vader can't even feel it in his own daughter?
Brian Miller

Yes, that is something that bugs me even more than the "unmasking".
Leia is a twin sister of luke, daughter of the guy that was born without human father, he was conceived out of a major midichlorians concentration and so on and so forth , and everything Leia can do during three long movies is shouting at Vader, shooting a laser gun and dressed as slave for Java. 

She should have been a Jedi!
I don't get it!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Force is sexist. 

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

shielding Luke from a horrible truth

Is Luke a fragile twelve year old, or an adult who should be treated as such? There was no reason for Kenobi to "lie," and no reason to retcon him into a liar.

Because that theme has never been done before? By this logic, EVERY use of protecting someone from the truth (agreed, usually a poor choice on the teller's behalf) means that the teller is a manipulative bastard who can never be trusted.

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version