Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: The end of printed comics? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 1  

I stumbled across a great article discussing the current state of the industry.

There are some reasonable suggestions on how to increase comic sales, although it doesn't appear the Big Two are willing to listen (sigh).

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Terry Thielen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 2  

I like pretty much all of Rich Johnson's suggestions.
I've often said that one of the problems people don't get into comics is not knowing what to buy. I think it's reasonable to have only ONE Avengers or X-Men title. Many other characters, the usual loners, can have theirs as well. If, for some reason, these companies need to put out multiple stories, then do an anthology book or magazine like Dark Horse Presents. Make one that contains just Avengers stories. Make one that's just X-Men stories. All those slow artists out there can take a while on a project because they need only do 6-8 pages at a time (of course  with decompressed storytelling it could seem slower than hell). Anthology books don't normally sell that well because of price vs the slew of other comics these companies have. Cut out all the other titles and they would likely sell. 
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 3  

----

They're not his suggestions. The article was written by New York Post Reed Tucker. Johnston actually disagrees with it.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 4  

I think the newsstand's and grocer's way is over. The monthly days are mostly over. Apart maybe for the really 2 or 3 big names for both companies. Superman, Batman, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, which could still be worthwile as enduring monthlies, all the rest of the output should be straight to 40 to 60 pages soft or hardbacks. No more fillers. No more artist changes because the artist is late. Books only come out when they are ready. Creators only get paid when their book is out. No longterm contracts. Self-contained stories. Hail to the quality graphic novel !  

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 5  

It's obvious that the current 'model' isn't going to save the day. The numbers are interpreted with folk screaming 'increased sales' compared to last year, while ignoring the dismal situation overall.

Image is proving that a quality title can compete with the 'Big Two'; IDW seems to be a company with smart business sense. I guess I'll cling to hope <g>.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 6  

Print won't be going away anytime soon. 

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 7  

He did raise a solid point about whittling down titles. I've all but quit reading Marvel and only read 3 or 4 DC titles. I read The Walking Dead from Image and JB's stuff from IDW.

This is a low output for me. With giving up on Marvel and DC, a void was left and we all know about nature and voids, right? What filled said void? Valiant comics! They produce five titles (soon to be six) and everything has been self-contained, despite the shared universe. I can easily follow everything and not feel overwhelmed.

There's a lot to be said for having a lean and mean line.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 8  

Nothing in that piece that hasn't been said before. It does make sense. However the problem is still there. Until customers start making a noise with their wallets nothing will change.

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2013 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 9  

The problem is that cutting from, say, ten titles which sell 20k each to two titles won't make those two sell 100k each. They probably won't sell even 40k each.

Neither the price reduction. Kurt Busiek's widely praised Untold Tales of Spider-Man cost just one buck when most comics cost double that or more, yet it didn't sell even half of the parent title.

The digital market is still too small. Reportedly sales for digital comics are lees than a tenth of print sales. Not to mention, of course, that digital comics readers are far more likely to just illegl download them than print comics readers.

Focus on established characters? Well, that would be tantamount to admit that no new concept will ever again work on comics. Even on the current depressed market, a few new concepts (even at Marvel and DC, just look at Deadpool or Fables!) have been able to thrive. Of course, they would be more likely to do so if Marvel and DC published less garbage, but, as I explained above, even cancellation-fated garbage IS helping the bottom line.

So I don't think those suggestions will save the current US comics industry. I am partial to the French comics model myself (essentially changing from a periodicals-based model to a book-based one), but that would change radically the way comics are published in the US, probably alienating most fans.

So, yeah, I don't know what to do. If there was an easy solution, it would already been done...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2013 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 10  

Getting comics back in drugstores and news stands would help. Stop bleeding the customer dry by putting  scraps of content in each title and spreading a story which should be told in one or two issues  into five or six issues. Quality of quantity would improve things. Something I think the people in charge of the special events seem to not know is. The mundane is what makes special "Special". One big event after another makes these big events too common place  to be considered a big event. 

I'm all for cutting the price of comics but I don't see that happening. Printing costs alone don't make that really possible. Added to that the advertising cost. Don't forget the cost to pay the talent. The Lawyers and other unseen people behind the scenes whose paychecks come from the profits of each title. Joe Q needs to be paid. 

Terry Thielen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 11  

----

They're not his suggestions. The article was written by New York Post Reed Tucker. Johnston actually disagrees with it.
----

D'oh! Now I get to look like an idiot. That's what I get for skimming. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 12  

Getting comics back in drugstores and news stands would help. 

-----

Have to disagree. Comics HAVE been back at the newsstands. But it doesnt matter because periodicals in general are dying. 

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version