Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: "My First Rifle" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 May 2013 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

The event’s Facebook invitation describes the march as a nonviolent demonstration, “unless the government chooses to make it violent”:

••

There is a tiny part of my brain that would actually like to see this happen. See the "demonstrators" treated in the same way as civil rights demonstrators were treated fifty years ago -- which means unleashing the National Guard on them, with riot gear and tear gas. And, assuming one of the "demonstrators" is stupid enough to open fire -- and you know AT LEAST one of them would be, and probably a lot more -- returning fire in full force.

A full scale demonstration of just how ridiculous are these notions that weekend warriors with their horde of substitute phalluses could really stand up against a committed military presence.

It would never happen, of course. Our military forces are sworn to PROTECT the people, however stupid those people might be.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'd like to see a simultaneous counter-protest of unarmed common
sense gun law advocates. I'd like to see it at least equal the turn-out of
little dick owners----uh, I mean "2nd Amendment advocates."

Edited by Eric Smearman on 05 May 2013 at 3:15pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2013 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

There is a tiny part of my brain that would actually like to see this happen. See the "demonstrators" treated in the same way as civil rights demonstrators were treated fifty years ago -- which means unleashing the National Guard on them, with riot gear and tear gas. And, assuming one of the "demonstrators" is stupid enough to open fire -- and you know AT LEAST one of them would be, and probably a lot more -- returning fire in full force.

I agree, but my guess, there will be a non show of force by the government. These idiots are itching for a fight, but Obama is too smart to play into their hands. But they will be breaking the law and I hope they will be arrested by an unarmed police force.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 05 May 2013 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

The event’s Facebook invitation describes the march as a nonviolent demonstration, “unless the government chooses to make it violent”

Is it wrong of me to kinda wish the government would wake it violent, just so these stupid yahoos would finally get the message that they would have zero chance of standing against the government?

Edited by Thom Price on 05 May 2013 at 3:56pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2013 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

If it is, then it's wrong of me, too.

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2013 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

Trouble is, I'm sure the only overall effect would be these loons going around yelling "SEE?? We're being repressed by the Government! THAT'S why we need our guns!!"

In a battle of logic and common sense, morons will always declare themselves victorious - even when they lose!

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2013 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 7  

Me: "I just wish folks would understand that gun ownership does NOT
equal gun violence; irresponsible gun ownership does."
••

JB: It has often been said that cigarettes and guns are the only
products which, when USED PROPERLY, kill people.

But they don't have to. I've personally used a gun properly
HUNDREDS of times, and haven't killed anyone.

I understand people's aversion to firearms, but they (the guns) are not
the wrongdoers. It's the uninformed and/or evil that are the wrongdoers

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 May 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 8  

But guns sure make it EASIER, don't they?

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2013 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 9  

Michael their intended purpose is to KILL, period! I am so tired of people tap dancing around the truth.

(the guns) are not
the wrongdoers. It's the uninformed and/or evil that are the wrongdoers

Bull!!! It wasn't a persons hands that killed those babies in Newtown, they weren't strangled, it was a bullet from a gun that killed them. Can't get rid of crazy evil people, but we sure as hell can make it harder for them to do any damage.

As a mother it is sickening, if Newtown wasn't enough to bring people to their senses, we really are fucked as a society.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 05 May 2013 at 8:34pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

Every time there's a thread like this, I always come back to the same thing - 

Baseball bats? Used for hitting baseballs. Piano wire? Used to make sound by vibrating in a piano. Hammer? Used to pound nails into a wall. 

Any of those items can kill a person, but none of them has the primary function (or even secondary function) to do so. Killing a person by smothering them with a pillow (normally used to support the head while laying down) is using the pillow incorrectly. 

Using a gun to kill someone is using it PROPERLY. If you have a Glock and you target shoot with it, guess what? That's a secondary purpose. The primary purpose is to point it at the centre mass of another human being and pull the trigger to kill them. Period. 

If you've used a gun properly and you haven't killed someone, you've used a shotgun to hunt ducks, or a rifle to hunt deer, and that's pretty much it. If you own anything you don't hunt with, and you haven't used that gun to kill someone, then technically you have NOT used it properly. Period. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:27am | IP Logged | 11  

Also, guns are a sort of status symbol, an announcement to the world that the bearer is a warrior, someone to be feared and respected. Carrying around a baseball bat or pillow doesn't quite have the same effect. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 06 May 2013 at 3:27am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:54am | IP Logged | 12  

The "Baseball Bat Response" fails right out of the gate, of course.

Picture two scenarios: Each is set in a room the size of a typical school gymnasium. In the room are some fifty or sixty people, randomly distributed, singly and in groups. Into each room comes an individual bent on homicide. The individual in room A has a baseball bat, in room B an assault rifle. Which produces the greater number of fatalities?

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version