Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: "My First Rifle" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 1  

Aaron's Stanley Idaho sounds a lot like my little corner of Upstate New York. Certainly not to the extent that hunting is a sole means of meat or survival, but also for animal population control and for supplementing the freezers in an area of little income, potentailly long winters and other cost of living issues.

Then again, there's more of an emphasis on hunting safety and 'respect for the weapon' and a cognizance of when a child is ready to be properly trained. When I hear about the shootings when it comes to 'city crime', my unsubstantiated feeling is that one of the biggest differences in the mentality about guns comes down to rural training and use vs. urban training and use. Maybe it's a stereotype, but I see the lines come down between trained, respectful rural gun owners and panic-shopping for guns in a city environment along with volume gang usage ~ point-and-click mentality, lack of respect and depravity towards their fellow men.

Back to Top profile | search

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 2  

I may have brought this up before, but what's stopping laws pertaining to the purchase of ammunition for guns.  Let people own guns, just don't let them have easy access to ammo.

I'm not a gun owner -- never will be -- so I don't know existing rules about this.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 3  

>>
National Rifle Association members are fighting a "culture war" that stretches beyond gun rights, the organization's incoming president said Friday.

First Vice President James Porter will take over the top job Monday. On Friday, he gave short speech to a grassroots organizing meeting at the powerful gun lobby's national convention in Houston.

"This is not a battle about gun rights," Porter said, calling it "a culture war."
<<

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 4  

Is the price of buying and storing meat for the winter higher than the price of guns and the ammunition they need?

Yes, by a lot, that is why they are hunting. The firearm has been passed down, and the ammunition is reloaded by the person themselves. These are not people that come down out of the hills to buy a brand new assualt rifle, and 300 rounds of brand new ammunition. This is a hunting rifle that was bought on the cheap right after WW II. Many Mauser 30-06 rifles were seized by the US from the Nazi's and sold here in the US really cheap. As long as it is taken care of, they tend to have a long life. Meat is stored in root cellars in these places, and considering that the snow starts flying up there around the first week in October, it will stay froozen for a long time. 

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 3:35am | IP Logged | 5  

It boils down to the fact we have people that are not very educated that have listened to the gun and right wing propaganda machine and live in complete fear. They think the govt., black people and liberals are out to get them and they need that gun to protect themselves. They are really sad people that choose to live in unrealistic fear. 

It doesn't matter how much reason you use, they will never listen, they will gladly eat what ever the gun industry feeds them. They will readily sign up and be manipulated by people making a lot of money off of fear mongering.  In fact they beg for more.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 4:14am | IP Logged | 6  

I may have brought this up before, but what's stopping laws pertaining to the purchase of ammunition for guns. Let people own guns, just don't let them have easy access to ammo.

••

The gutless wonders who compose our government just scuttled an attempt to SLIGHTLY restrict the ability to purchase guns. Do you really imagine they would allow "stealth" legislation like this to slip thru?

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 7  

They think the govt., black people and liberals are out to get them and they need that gun to protect themselves.

Maybe but I would think that's a very small number. From my experience here in rural West Virginia, I think that the majority of people I know who have grown up around guns (hunters, military kids, kids of police officers...) haven't experienced any kind of tragedy like we've seen in the media. I will say that there are alot of us who are not anti-gun but would like to see Congress do something about gun violence.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 8  

Bob Freeman wrote:
Terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to the family who have not only lost a daughter, but now must deal with an emotionally wounded son and their own grief and guilt.

The parents were irresponsible and negligent. They will pay for this for the rest of their lives.

The idiot parents didn't bother to "deal with" teaching their normal and undamaged son one single iota of gun safety before giving him an actual GUN, so what makes you think they would even consider that their son is emotionally wounded, or that it is something that THEY have to deal with?

To say they were irresponsible and negligent is an understatement, but I'd almost be willing to bet that they won't feel like they have to "pay" for anything, and most likely they will eventually (if they don't already) blame their SON for the loss of their other child.

Very sad all around.

:-(

Edited by John Bodin on 04 May 2013 at 8:15am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 9  

Ronald Joseph wrote:
Is the price of buying and storing meat for the winter higher than the price of guns and the ammunition they need?

Go to your kitchen.  Look at your freezer.  Open it.  Now figure out how much meat you could stick in there, along with all the other stuff that needs to be kept frozen.

Now ask yourself this:  Would that be enough food to last you from October through March?  Or longer? 

Also, ask yourself just how GOOD that meat would be after sitting in a freezer for 6 months or more (once stuff develops a frost rind in my freezer, it's headed for the trash because I know it's not going to taste good, and it may not be all that good anymore). 

Too many people of even modest means have trouble imagining how hard it is to get by when you have nothing.  The cost of a stand-alone freezer is several hundred dollars at best, maybe less if you can get one used.  Then there's the cost of electricity, and the fact that over the course of the winter, the electricity may not be 100% reliable either, and a power outage could take out the rest of your food for the winter.

.22 long rifle ammunition is dirt-cheap, and it's fine for taking down small game like rabbits and such.  If you have nothing, and you can't afford to take risks, or if you have to choose between spending the money to stock up on enough baby formula to last all winter, versus spending the money on a freezer and enough meat to get you through the winter, you're going to err on the side of the baby formula. 

Having "just enough" to get by provided you can supplement it with wild game is a reasonable proposition in that kind of situation, and a reasonable risk to take.

These are the kind of choices that "city dwellers" and those of us who DON'T live hand-to-mouth often can't fathom.

When most people think of poverty, their thoughts tend to turn to urban ghettos, while ignoring the Appalachian-style poverty that exists outside the cities.

Different circumstances, different conditions, different means and abilities.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 10  

Before it was disbanded in 1994, the Rural Electrification Administration was in charge of getting electricity, and later telephone service, to every citizen in this country. It was about 98% successful.

I would not at all mind seeing some of my tax dollars go to a Rural Food (and Medicine) Administration. Eliminate the need for hunting rifles. Maybe save a few lives.

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 11  

I just wish folks would understand that gun ownership does NOT equal
gun violence; irresponsible gun ownership does.

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

The American population in general has proven that they're not responsible enough to own guns.

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version