Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: OT: The decade of your childhood (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was born in 1977, so my childhood, pre-teen years, were the 80's. Still to this day when I read a comic, watch a movie, etc, from that time period, everything seems "bigger" to some strange degree, almost as if I still see everything from that period through the lens of a child. Of course most things were actually "smaller" in the 80's, but this doesn't seem to much matter to my faulty perceptions. For instance, there is something about JB's Marvel Manhattan that seems huge and awe inspiring to me, but when he draws something just as big, like in Trio, it just doesn't seem the same. Does anyone else experience this?
Back to Top profile | search

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

76er here.  My memories of the 70s are faint and ghosty.  I kind of remember Carter/Reagan election.  Just images.  8 track player in my dad's orange van. 

But I identify as a child of the 80s.  STAR WARS is my usual litmus test;  I saw EMPIRE in a theater (1st movie I saw in a theater thanks to my older brother) and did not see STAR WARS until it aired much later on network TV.  I did not even suss out that they were interconnected until JEDI.

Tom Baker's Doctor on PBS.  Golden Age of Saturday morning cartoons.  Robert E. Howard CONAN novellas.  Watching the BENNY HILL SHOW on TV after parents went to bed.  Ah yeah.  The 80s.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

Robert, you could have pulled your post out of MY mind. I know exactly what you mean.

I too was born in 1977, so my childhood memories are mainly from the 80s. And yes, everything from then does seem bigger, I suspect because at that age we're just beginning to understand the world and the things in it and so there's still a great deal of mystery to things. Those years, from maybe 1981 to the end of the 80s, are the years that formed my imagination, so movies, comics, TV shows, books from that period of time left a deeper impression on my mind than anything I read or watched after that. Taking movies for example, I can absolutely love a film that comes out now, but viewed through adult eyes it will only ever be a very good movie. The Star Wars films though, for example, can never be "just movies" because they came at that crucial point in my development and had a huge impact. The same goes for many other things that were either new then or that I was encountering for the first time during that decade, things like the Marvel Comics of about 1984 to 1987, the original Star Trek and its first few movies, any James Bond movie from Connery through Dalton, all the sitcoms I watched both in reruns (I Love Lucy, Bewitched, etc) or new (The Cosby Show, for example) between the ages of, say 5 and 13, and a hundred other things.

That age-range seems to make up the Golden Years of a child's becoming who they'll turn out to be and I wouldn't be surprised to find that many people have such feelings toward that particular time in their lives whether they happened to be that age in the 80s or the 90s or the 70s or any other decade.

In recent years, as I've been doing a lot of writing and that's been causing me to realize what things in my life really shaped my imagination, I've come to understand that those years of my life were very, very important, almost to the point that there's some part of my mind that feels that the way the world looked then is how it's supposed to look. I realize that the impulse to think that way is not realistic and is mostly sentimentality, but the images that are in my head from those years of my life as warm, comforting, and can often make me happy if I allow my mind to race back in time and let the old memory-movies play for a while.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

I was born in `63 so the late 60`s and early to mid 70`s hold great memories for me in terms of tv,films and music...The Beatles,Queen,Star Trek,Gerry Anderson`s shows,Star Wars,James Bond,Doctor Who(Pertwee,Baker)The Avengers(Steed and Mrs Peel),The Avengers(Byrne,Perez),Uncanny X-Men(Claremont,Byrne) and a host of other 70`s Marvel!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

I was born in 1975 and the years 1982 through to 1987 were a golden period for me for music, film, TV. Those years loom large. It also coincided with when we first got a video recorder, allowing me to watch favourite things over and over. The Star Wars films were just about the most exciting this ever, but ET, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Goonies, Back to the Future and Big Trouble in Little China were also films that made a huge impact. The V mini series was just huge for me. And the video for Michael Jackson's Thriller; we recorded it off the TV and it was re-watched endlessly.

Edited to add: and watching Transformers was a daily ritual. It was broadcast early in the morning on a show in the UK called Wacaday. They busted the episodes into smaller segments and then had them on Mon to Fri during the summer hols. Loved it.

Edited by Peter Martin on 27 April 2013 at 1:41pm

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

Born in '59, so my childhood is firmly in the 1960s. Shows like Lost In Space, Star Trek and Batman loom large in my memories. And of course cartoons. Warner Bros and Hanna-Barbera.  Film wise, a lot of live action Disney and Disney like films. My favorite toys were GI Joe, Major Matt Mason and Captain Action. Missed a few years of American culture, because my family lived in Japan for three to four years. ( Air Force brat). So occasionally a TV show from that decade will be mentioned that I'm unfamiliar with. On thing we did have on base were comic books and they became a primary source of entertainment for me and my friends. Like other fans we even began to write and draw our own. Something a carried into my teens in the 1970s 

Edited by Mike Norris on 27 April 2013 at 2:25pm

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

I was born in 1973 and I consider the period between 1980 and 1985 to be the best parts of my childhood. Star Wars, G.I. Joe, comics, TV shows like the Dukes of Hazzard and Knight Rider, music that allows me to just pull memories of great times out of my head...just great stuff. I had a girlfriend once call say that I had a "Mayberry childhood", she was being sarcastic but I'll claim it. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 8  

Buncha young punks... grumble grumble

Despite the many adventures that festoon the previous years -- three Atlantic crossings by liner before I was eight, almost losing my right leg to disease at 5, etc -- when I think of my childhood I seem most often to land in the latter part of 1958, some time after my 8th birthday. And, yes, I would most certainly agree that the world seemed "bigger" then. I was, of course, poised on the edge of a whirlwind of new experiences, all of which left a distinct impression on my young mind.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

Bill - I'm in the same boat as you - born in 1963.

I grew up watching a lot of reruns - Star Trek, Gilligan's Island, The Andy Griffith Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show - plenty of great cartoons like Tom & Jerry, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Scooby-Doo, Bugs Bunny and lots of MLB, NFL and NBA games.

Comic books were all about Ross Andru and John Romita's Spider-Man; John Buscema's Thor, Silver Surfer and Avengers; Herb Trimpe's Hulk and Ant-Man; Marie Severin's Hulk and Sub-Mariner; Bob Brown's Daredevil and Avengers; Gene Colan's Tomb of Dracula and Daredevil; Sal Buscema's Avengers, Captain America and Defenders; Steve Ditko's Doctor Strange and Spider-Man; Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four and Thor; George Tuska's Iron Man and Luke Cage; Dave Cockrum and Neal Adams' X-Men; JB's Iron Fist; George Perez's Avengers; Frank Robbins' Invaders and Captain America and Jim Starlin's Warlock and Captain Marvel.

With all the reprints, science fiction, westerns, team-up books and treasury editions it was a great time to be a kid!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 10  

Born in 1973. My childhood kind of started with Star Wars in '77. I
became an comic book collector starting age 10. I'm not quite sure
how to answer the question about where it ended. I'm still trying to live
it.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 11  

I was born in 1968 (today is my birthday).

Being in a lower-middle class family at the tail end of the American Century had given me a sense that things were really much better than they are today, even if they were kind of rough years for my parents while I was a kid.  The only things about the 1970s economic woes which affected me directly were the prices of comics going up every other year, and my folks telling me that they wouldn't buy me a new toy or pair of sneakers that I wanted because they couldn't afford to do it.

My best memories from that era (age 5 to 13) were discovering the "Bronze age" Marvel comics (including some of John Byrne's early works), the beginnings of the Star Wars franchise, World Wrestlng Federation shows on TV, VHF television channels with a rich selection of reruns, weekday afternoon cartoon shows, and Saturday monster movies (including all the best Godzilla films), and being in that gap between the psychedelic 60's rock and New Wave/hair metal bands.  I also remember seeing heavy thunderstorms, heavy snowfalls every winter, and having a puddle in the back yard which froze over every winter so that me and the neighborhood kids were often playing on it.

In comics, I started out as a fan of the Avengers with George Perez and John Byrne as artist, the Hulk under Bill Mantlo and Sal Buscema, Conan with Roy Thomas and John Buscema, and Spider-Man in the Ross Andru era.  The X-Men came towards the end of my childhood, and soon superceded them all.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 12  

Happy Birthday, Carmen!

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version