Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Why Wear a Costume? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 1  

...am I the only one?

You're not, Ronald.

---

This is such a hard habit to break. It's like trying to stop biting my nails. I wonder if it is akin to a verbal pause, like "uhing" and "ahing." I still catch myself speaking it aloud.

••

Substitute "Who else thinks. . . ?" That phrase at least carries the built in assumption that the speaker does not believe him/herself to be the only person in all of human history who has conceived a particular thought!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 2  

As for Cage, the tight pants,Captain Marvel boots and giant chain belt pushes it squarely into costume territory.

••

Or -- and I am only being the TEENIEST bit snarky here -- a group of middle aged White guys trying to design something a cool Black dude would wear. In other words, as bizarre as it seems (especially at this distance in time), STREET CLOTHES!!!!!!!

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 3  

Wasn't the whole notion of Luke Cage was that he wanted to be a superHero For Hire? Granted, the look he had in the seventies was ridiculous, and he probably wouldn't dress that way, but he would try and look like a superhero, for marketing purposes. wouldn't he? That was his gimmick to stand out from the crowd. BTW, New Hawkeye, looks similar to a Connor Hawke Green Arrow, doesn't he? Once again, Marvel's taken a interesting character's costume, and made it less so, for Hollywood purposes, which is the real reason for all the costume changes.

Jeff Stockwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 4  

It feels like a lot of current writers are aping Aaron Sorkin's idea of the show being about what happens behind the scenes, just before and just after THE THING happens: all the hullabaloo at the White House leading up to an following the State of the Union address, without actually seeing the speech, or all the stress about getting Sports Center on the air and the show ending just as the theme song starts. So we get to see the Avengers talking about the big battle they had with Kang 20 minutes ago, and now they sit around the mansion bantering about how much of a stick in the mud Captain America is.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 5  

As much as I prefer the classic Hawkeye costume, that new costume is so much better than any of the ones I've seen come out of the DC New 52. Here is a good reason not to wear a costume in today's comics. The artists don't know how to design one that doesn't suck.

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm sorry, but what the hell am I looking at? Holy crap that is...wow...words fail me.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andy Ihnatko
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 7  

John Byrne wrote:
But rather than asking "Why wear a costume", it seems we should more properly be asking "Why ask why?"

So long as "costume conveys character," I'm good. Some characters honestly should be wearing something close to civilian clothes. Some need to look immediately and overtly dangerous. Some (like Wonder Woman or Barda) need to look as though they come from a culture that's as far removed from that of modern Earth as can be imagined. Some should look like they want attention; others, like they don't want to be associated with "that culture" or remembered, period.

I dig Hawkeye's new look. Trick arrows aside, he has very "real world" skills and it's entirely appropriate that his costume would be laser-focused on the need to spot a target and then nock, draw, and fire an arrow and then probably run like hell when they shoot back with something more powerful and dramatic.

I wonder if the classic artists of the gold and silver age would have made the same costume design choices if they had the resources available to modern artists. Like glossy paper, a virtually unlimited color palette, the ability to build details without fear that they'll collapse into mud. Some of the classic character designs look "odd" when they're taken from the flat colors and blocky inking of their original era and put into a modern book. 

Doctor Doom, for instance, needs to be rendered very carefully. His cape has to be heavy wool, his armor needs to be an exotic alloy, and his mask needs to have function. Otherwise, he looks "out of place," like the difference between the characters in the first ""Toy Story" movie and the ones in the final one.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 8  

When I saw The Avengers last year, friends who weren't comic book fans would ask me,  "why is the guy with the arrows on the team? He has no powers!"  Yet, they never asked the same question about Captain America..Which begs the question..What makes a hero a superhero? Why is Hawkeye a superhero, as opposed to a SHIELD agent who shoots arrows? Is there a difference between the two? Why does Batman need a costume? He basically looks the same as he's always been. Why hasn't his look made to be more realistic? I just think that these characters are being taken a little TOO seriously, IMHO.

Jeff Stockwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

What a lot of writers forget about Hawkeye is that, in addition to being an expert marksman, he's a performer. He honed all his skills in the circus. That's a big reason for the colorful costume.  Plus, he's always portrayed best when he's the fun guy...quippy, a joke at the expense of every goon he's dropping with pinpoint accuracy. (The sense of humor is also a defense mechanism for his feelings of inadequacy...former criminal, failed relationships, no one takes him seriously as a leader, etc.) He's exactly the wrong kind of person to be a dark, soulless assassin. I would think if he wasn't an Avenger he could do quite well with a trick-shot cum magic act.

Purely from an aesthetic standpoint I like the new Hawkeye look, but I just don't think it's a suit for an Avenger.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

Rich, that is the Teen Titans. I think Superboy's costume doesn't look like that anymore, but I'm not sure it's much better either.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 11  

I wonder if the classic artists of the gold and silver age would have
made the same costume design choices if they had the resources
available to modern artists. Like glossy paper, a virtually unlimited
color palette, the ability to build details without fear that they'll
collapse into mud. Some of the classic character designs look "odd"
when they're taken from the flat colors and blocky inking of their
original era and put into a modern book.

-------------

Just look at Kirby; could you imagine him creating characters designed
like Mr. Miracle and Big Barda in the beginning of his career?

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

Hawkeye is disappointing to me because I'm a fan of Br'er Hawkeye and his brash ways. Marvel has taken him and somehow merged him with his movie and Ultimate versions and it just doesn't seem like the same character anymore. Bendis mentioned in an article about the Ultron mini that Hawkeye has seen war zones and that's why he was using him as kind of the character of focus. But once again, it's Bendis using a character how he wants to and not how they've been traditionally used.

On Luke Cage, I hate the fact that the last 10 years or so his costume has been regular clothes and sometimes a knit cap. He looks more like a rapper than a superhero. If his original costume screams "Blaxsploitation" I think that you could still outfit him in a pretty cool costume (I always like the steel headband or as the critics call it the "tiara"). Wasn't there a contest to re-design Power-Man and Iron Fist's costumes in their comic back in the day?

Edited by Shawn Kane on 27 April 2013 at 7:20pm

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version