Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Why Wear a Costume? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 1  

Yes --- but I'd rather not. Cap is one of the few characters to have largely escaped "de-uniquing". I'd rather not see him become Marvel's version of the Green Lantern Corps!

I'm not saying that is how it should be. Just that was likely the plan until Prof. Erskine was killed. I prefer there to be only one Star Spangled Avenger.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 2  

Not sure if this constitutes a costume or uniform?

Do more than one person wear it?

Jeff Stockwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

JB, I always love your answer to the question of whether Captain America wears a costume or a uniform: "Uniform...because he's not Mister America.":
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Elliott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 4  

This topic came up in a "discussion" I had about the Superman costume in the "Man of Steel" movie on another online forum.  The topic was the lack of trunks.  One person said the trunks were old fashioned, out of date, didn't look good and people wouldn't accept them.

I asked, if that's true, then why keep the cape? ("The Incredibles" took a shot at capes, though they kept the trunks, and few "new" versions of characters have capes, e.g. the Ultimate Thor and the Marvel Knights version of Hyperion)  Why have any costume? (No costume on Smallville.)  Why even call him "Superman"? (No "Superman" name on Smallville.)  All those things are old fashioned, out of date, didn't look good and people wouldn't accept them.  Why even make a "Superman" movie then?

The response was: capes are cool and the new costume is new and cool and underwear on the outside sucks.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

people who are so gloomily serious about the subject of costumes and "why would anyone wear that stuff?" -- the naysayers, the "helpful" skeptics and the inertial fans -- really should look for a new hobby. perhaps stamp collecting. it's clear they've outgrown the childlike enjoyment of seeing larger-than-life mythology played out in art and words.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 26 April 2013 at 12:21pm

Rob Shalda
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 6  

Guess will leave Cage's attire Costume. Pretty flamboyant compared to what he wears now.

Edited by Rob Shalda on 26 April 2013 at 12:37pm

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 7  

Cage just wears a tank top and jeans, it's so boring..they just gave up on him. That's what I mean,when I say that if you're going to delve too far into the costume's practicality, you hamstring creativity. It's like all these writers, artists and fans have this underlying self-loathing about still liking superhero comics at their age, so they try and make the heroes as "realistic" as possible. They either stand around and do nothing, in overdone costumes, or they're super-violent.

Jesse Perkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 8  

I always thought a costume or uniform was an important way for superheros to not onyl disguise their true identity but also to identify themselves to others. If a cop saw a guy dressed in a tank top and jeans beating someone up, he'd probably arrest him. But if that same cop saw Power Man beating someone up, he'd probably assume the other guy was a criminal and help out in some way. Some don't make as much sense (Punisher, most villains, maybe even Spidey's red and blues vs. his black) but I do think there is a practicality in these people with amazing/dangerous powers clearly identifying who they are so there's no confusion when they interact with civilians, police, military, criminals, other heros, etc...

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 9  

This comic by Bendis has only costumes. That page is straight up "cos-play" and genuinely looks like it should be called "Crisis at the San Diego Comic Convention". A tornado or something hit, now all the ding-a-lings who showed up in costumes have to band together to face the tragedy.

"We look like heroes, now we have to act like it!"
"If only it were that easy."

I can see why Logan is bummed-- I mean, what is Wolverine without the Hulk? or Lady Thor without Thor? or Sue Richards without... the Thing? ...No wonder balding Luke Cage hoists Jessica over his shoulder so we can see her butt. This is some weird, weird stuff.

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 10  

I miss Wolverine's classic boots..guess they're not practical anymore.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

Jesus Garcia wrote:
Now, why Black Widow or Hawkeye would need a costume is more difficult to understand. It might be argued that the basic function of the superhero accoutrement is (1) to offer protection to the wearer, (2) empower them in some way (Iron Man comes to mind), or (3) distract witnesses into focusing on the outfit rather than the personal physcial characteristics of the wearer.

Well, Hawkeye is an ex-carny, costumes are part of his game. The Black Widow wears a "Mrs Peel" jumpsuit. Which works for an ex-spy. She of course, wore "street clothes" when first introduced. 

Edited by Mike Norris on 26 April 2013 at 6:49pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 April 2013 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 12  

The saddest aspect of the modern pages posted in this thread to me is all the talking.  Talking, talking and more talking.  Anything but action.  Oh I know they're handpicked to illustrate the points being discussed, but I've read far too many mainstream Marvel and DC comics over the last 10-15 years where that's all the heroes do.  Entire issues of the friggin' AVENGERS filled with nothing but chit-chat.  Neurotic navel-gazing about their place in the world.  Endless banter that ultimately signifies nothing, doesn't move the story forward making it all feel like so much filler.  And not good filler either!

As much as mainstream superhero comics are about costumes, they're about action too.  About being super.  About acting heroic even in the most trying times.  Nowadays it seems like the heroes want to be anything but, living outside of costume more than they are in it and talking about doing something instead of actually friggin' doing it. 

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version