Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Fantastic, Not Plastic (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 1  

Sure--but that wouldn't preclude some dunderhead from trying to push him into the Mutant category.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 2  

A hint of the confusion that has been created by the careless use of the word "mutant" in Marvel Comics.

When I was doing FANTASTIC FOUR, I received a letter in what appeared to be a fairly young hand, saying the FF were his favorite mutants. Mutant, in his mind, had come to mean "person with powers".

When he was working on X-MEN, Roy Thomas actually gave us a term, "non-mutant variant", which covered the likes of Spider-Man, or Daredevil, or the FF. Anyone who's powers came from an outside source (in the early days of Marvel, usually radiation).

But there were and are writers who insist being good at math makes someone a mutant.

Kevin Corcoran
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 3  

As a very young reader I had a difficult time distinguishing between mutate and mutant. Since Peter mutated (albeit in ways not visible to the naked eye,) after his encounter with the radioactive spider, I thought he was a mutant.

It is staggering how many of the early Marvel super heroes acquired their powers through radiation (cosmic, gamma, or toxic) vs those that were 'born that way.'  

Andy Ihnatko
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 4  

John  Byrne wrote:
When I have drawn Reed's powers at work, I have tried to keep this in mind. Altho he is defying the basic function of the body, I tried to avoid having him turn his ears into giant listening devices, or make his teeth big so he could chomp thru ropes. A minor point, but there you are.

I instinctively like the "He can, he just doesn't" approach. Here's a lifelong academic, used to being addressed as "professor" and being respected worldwide as a towering, intimidating intellect, suddenly endowed with powers that can make him look absolutely ridiculous. In the early days, he'd use his powers in obvious and literal ways: "A tire got shot out! I'm like rubber, so I'll become a tire!" But as he became more experienced, and saw photos of himself in the papers bouncing around as human beachball, he'd find ways to solve the same problems without turning into a spare tire or a human kite.

It also makes it kind of endearing when he spontaneously uses his powers in "Plastic Man" ways when playing with his kids. He'll become an inflatable raft or expand his ears into trumpet bells when he's having private time with his family...dignity-schmignity when it comes to his kids.

And I like it when Reed is shown with some exposed skin. It underscores the idea that Reed is just as much of a freak as Ben is. Maybe even more so. Ben's body still has the structure of, you know, a vertebrate. I think it'd be easier to get used to someone who looks like The Thing than someone whose body flows like Silly Putty.

Wasn't there an issue of "Spider Man" -- back when Pete's ID became known to the hero community, and Sue Storm gave Mary Jane some advice on dealing with a loved one with super powers? She said that even today, she sometimes gets skeeved out a little when Reed's concentration drops and she can see his face slowly sliding. I like the idea that there's an ongoing cost to their superpowers.

An early FF story that shows them learning about their new abilities and not having much success controlling their powers is high in my list of "Things I'd like to see." How long was it before Johnny felt he could step out in public without accidentally starting fires, and Sue could turn her visibility on and off like a light without giving people a look at her intestines, and Reed could take four steps without collapsing into a floppy pile of hoses?

I bet that was the lone area where Ben felt lucky. He was still a guy...just bigger and stronger and uglier, you know? I think that sort of story would be a good framework to explain a lot about who these people are.

Edited by Andy Ihnatko on 16 April 2013 at 11:35am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andy Ihnatko
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 5  

John Byrne wrote:
Ye Gods, those Hanna Barbera cartoons were wretched. It was as if they had four sound effects and three voices. And let's not even start on the art! Just thinking about it makes my eyes bleed!!

YES. Same voices everywhere, same five musical loops for every show.

And what KILLED me when I tried to watch the FF show was how much time was wasted! Entire scenes that serve no purpose...and all the dialogue was like it was written for a radio play!

"You, there! Why are you pointing that gun at me? Don't pull the trigger! Aiee! It's shooting out bands of rope! Why, I'm wrapped up in them so tightly now that I can't move! Stop! Stop taking bags of money from that safe!"

WHYYYYY?!?!?

I just don't understand why anybody has any kind of nostalgia for 60s and 70s Hanna-Barbera. As a tiny kid I quickly identified the Warner Brothers shorts as "the good cartoons" and the HB as "the awful ones."
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

As a tiny kid I quickly identified the Warner Brothers shorts as "the good cartoons" and the HB as "the awful ones."

Big difference between those WB animated cartoons being done originally as theatrical shorts, and HB's ones for network television.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 7  

Budget and schedule can really make a difference in animation.  

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

"Budget and schedule can really make a difference in
animation."

What're you, some kinda expert or something???

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

Asbestos is no fun.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

Wasn't there an issue of "Spider Man" -- back when Pete's ID became known to the hero community, and Sue Storm gave Mary Jane some advice on dealing with a loved one with super powers? She said that even today, she sometimes gets skeeved out a little when Reed's concentration drops and she can see his face slowly sliding.

I'm sorry, but that is so stupid. Reed doesn't have to concentrate to look normal. He has to concentrate to stretch. It's the opposite. Otherwise, he'd be a spread out puddled mass each morning when he wakes up. 

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 11  

Otherwise, he'd be a spread out puddled mass each morning when he wakes up. 

Like the most recent version of Rita Farr...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

So, not getting Rita's powers right is SOP now?

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version