Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Another Sneek Peek (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 1  

I don't suppose you can tell us the title to this new super book your working on yet? Looks awesome so far, and I will add it to my box at my LCS once we all know the title. Oh, and Eric Larsen, don't go and throw your brand of " corrections " to this either.

Edited by Aaron Adam Leach on 11 April 2013 at 8:21am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 2  

IDW should be announcing it shortly.

In case I didn't already mention this, it's a continuation from where we left off in TRIO, but One, Two and Three are "guest stars" in this new title. Thought it might be fun to do a sort of "series of crossovers", where each four issue miniseries picks up from the end of the last, but with a different title and new characters.

This plays to the overall effect I have been trying for, first with TRIO, now with ****** ***** -- I want these books to read as if they've been around for a while, so the reader is dropped into the middle of the action, instead of having to wade thru an origin issue (or six). Backstory is picked up as we go along.

This is, of course, how I was first introduced to comics. Superman, Batman, Flash, even the FF had been around for a while (I had no idea how long!), and it was fun to "play detective" and pick up the Who, What, Where, When and Why as I read, issue to issue.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 3  

Wow, that page is excellent! I bet there 's a line already forming at
Jim Warden's.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 4  

Storytelling! And so much in one page!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 5  

I like the idea of multiple mini series carrying the main story arc, but individual books focusing on the characters and their respective parts. Should make for an interesting read and give you lots of freedom from the story telling responsibility of a monthly book.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 6  

Thanks for the sneek peek, JB.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 7  

So the new series also features Trio. I didn't know that, since I'm the first to be surprised, I must have missed a previous announcement. Good idea this !
Oh never mind, I'll keep this. I just read Mister Byrne's post above.

Edited by Philippe Negrin on 11 April 2013 at 10:59am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 8  

So the new series also features Trio.

••

At first. . .

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 9  

Cool!

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

Mister Byrne, your creations of late really deserve to co-exist in a what we would have to call a "Byrneverse". I'm sure NextMen, DU, Trio, High Ways, the new book could really belong together without it looking too contrived.  

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 11  

In case I didn't already mention this, it's a continuation from where we left off in TRIO, but One, Two and Three are "guest stars" in this new title. Thought it might be fun to do a sort of "series of crossovers", where each four issue miniseries picks up from the end of the last, but with a different title and new characters.

JB, I recall you mentioning on this forum, right back when TRIO was going to be an unlimited series, that issue five would end with a moment that we would not have come seen coming.  Cannot recall the actual wording, but took this to mean some kind of twist.  Can we still expect this?  And if so, will it be in this new series?

This plays to the overall effect I have been trying for, first with TRIO, now with ****** ***** -- I want these books to read as if they've been around for a while, so the reader is dropped into the middle of the action, instead of having to wade thru an origin issue (or six). Backstory is picked up as we go along.

I'm liking the sound of this.  I can recall, as a kid, the thrill of discovering a book mid-series, often whilst on holiday and by a non-big two publisher, trying to work out who the characters were and what was happening.

Another question, if I may, though: with Golgotha appearing in TRIO, albeit seemingly from another universe, can we consider Danger Unlimited as one of "these books"?  Please ...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 12  

Mister Byrne, your creations of late really deserve to co-exist in a what we would have to call a "Byrneverse". I'm sure NextMen, DU, Trio, High Ways, the new book could really belong together without it looking too contrived.

••

Well. . .   Since I created them to be different "universes", I would have to disagree!

NXT MEN and HIGH WAYS are in the same "universe", tho in divergent timelines -- as is the upcoming FINDERS OF LOST CHILDREN. I thought briefly about TRIO being in the same world as DANGER UNLIMITED, but quickly realized the dating of the alien invasion made that unworkable. (Of course, the appearance of Quinlan at the end of the first TRIO series suggests that takes place in the same reality as LAB RATS, which would mean it's in the DCU! Your heads may explode now, if you wish!)

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version