Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: OT: Darkseid and Thanos (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2013 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 1  

Many people criticize Thanos as a character for being a "rip-off" of Darkseid. Okay, sure, to an extent, but many of us still love Captain Marvel and Marvel's Thor, even though they can be seen as Superman "rip-offs", right? To me this critique is flimsy as best. It's like refusing to like any great pop band after the Beatles because they came first.

That's a very good point, Robert. I like the pop/Beatles analogy. And I think you're right.

A few years ago, someone had said that RoboCop was a Judge Dredd rip-off. Wouldn't go that far myself at all, even though there probably are similarities between both character's single-minded devotion to the law (the main difference is that RoboCop is programmed to be that way, Dredd is still human and has the free will to choose such devotion). Whatever the comparisons, there's no denying the first ROBOCOP movie made a hell of an impact and was enjoyed by many, so any comparisons between RoboCop and Dredd are unfair, in my view.

As for Darkseid/Thanos, I can't really compare the two that well as I have read a LOT more Thanos tales than Darkseid. I like both characters and have read some fantastic tales featuring them both. At a guess, though, based on what I have read, Thanos seems to have carved out his own niche, unlike some derivative characters who forever remain in the shadows of the characters that inspired them.

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2013 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 2  

I enjoy both characters, but I prefer Darkseid.  One of my all-time favorite storylines (Great Darkness Saga) features Darkseid.  While there are plenty of Thanos stories I enjoy, none of them measure up to the best of Darkseid (IMO).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 March 2013 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 3  

Count me in the Darkseid camp. I never read much of Marvel's cosmic heroes and mostly know Thanos from Infinity Gauntlet. I know who he is by reputation and not by reading his stories. In regards to Darkseid I don't think I have missed an appearance (though I'm sure I have). I even read his awful portrayal in Seven Soldiers and Final Crisis. He is my favorite comic book villain. 

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 March 2013 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 4  

I prefer Darkseid and I grew up on Marvel!  I know the character through Kirby and JB, so I'm lucky to only have seen him at his best.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2013 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 5  

I have nothing against Thanos, but much prefer Darkseid.

I tend to think of Thanos as just one of Marvel's many villains. But Darkseid is in a much more exclusive class. He's one of the big ones, as far as I'm concerned, up there with Dr. Doom, the Red Skull, the Joker, and not too many others, villains whose presence can make me go, "Uh oh!" and bring a big smile to my face (as long as the story is by a competent writer).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2013 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 6  

I like both characters.
Back to Top profile | search | www

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2013 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 7  

I wouldn't call Thor anything close to a rip-off of Superman. Captain Marvel, on the other hand, took the Superman template and added a twist--making Billy Batson an Everyman, a representative of the comic buying audience. What the hell does Thanos bring to the table that Darkseid doesn't (besides, as JB already noted, a cartoony appearance)?

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 8  

On his first appearance, Thanos was colored differently from what became his standard, in more somber tones. He was thinner too. I wonder if the subsequent changes were done by Starlin or the editorial.

I must say that Thanos brings quite a lot to the table compared to Darkseid. Darkseid is the ultimate controller, he wants the whole universe to bend to his will.

Thanos has far different motivations. He does it for love! He loves Death as an entity and not only wants to give her the whole universe as a gift, but atually thinks that this is a good thing, after all, He can't conceive that people wouldn't want to experience death. All else he does are usually means to that end.

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 9  

Thanos first appearance here: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Pfx4gd4MvX0/UKNLmnb2AMI/AAAAAAAABd c/oTA-05Bi92A/s1600/Thanos+3.jpg

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2013 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

"I tend to think of Thanos as just one of Marvel's many villains. But Darkseid is in a much more exclusive class."

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------

Good point.
Maybe the fact that there are more great villains in MU, makes Darkseid stand out in DCU.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2013 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think Thanos has risen far above "just one of Marvel's many villains" at this point. He's been the biggest threat since 1990. Dr. Doom will always be the best villain, but seeing as how writers have floundered with Magneto since Claremont left in the early 90's, I think it's possible that Thanos is now just behind Doom at this point.

As far as his look, I have to admit that I liked the temporary outfit that he wore during his last solo series:

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2013 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 12  

I like both but probably favor Darkseid. (Originally
thought his name was pronounced Dark-Seed.). Great
Darkness Saga is probably in my top five favorite
stories.

But you can't say Thanos has been always handled well,
just look at his fight against Kaz-ar. Stalin "borrowed"
JB's idea of Doombots to fix some of those stories. I
think DC did the same with Darkseid by using Avatars.

Both characters I think get used too often I think.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version