Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: Uhmmm. . . . ? (Now with FREE Art Lessons from Erik Larsen!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm not an artist, but doesn't the correction create a triangle that pops out at you? I thought the whole point of avoiding tangents is to not have your art look like puzzle pieces.

••

The main reason to avoid tangents -- and the very thing that Larsen seems not to understand in terms of just what a "tangent" IS -- is to avoid flattening out an image by causing objects that are on different planes to appear to touch, rather than simply overlap.

And, sure, everybody slips from time to time. I've done it, Neal's done it, obviously Larsen has done it. But what an utterly pointless exercise it is to drag out old examples of an artist's work and show the "tangents" to be found in it -- especially when most are not actually tangents, AND when, in so doing, the "instructor" creates tangents that were not there to begin with!!

Back to Top profile | search

Benny Hasa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

Hmm.

I'm 28 and have been reading comics since I was around 5 years old. Growing up to who I am today, there are 5 major names that matter to me in the world of comics. Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, John Byrne, Erik Larsen, and John Romita Jr. These guys practically raised the bar for me in terms of what I read and it's hard to top.

I love your work JB. I have no problems with what Erik is saying about tangents. I don't. Otherwise, why would I spend thousands of dollars on commissions? Your work is as great as ever and you continue to top yourself.

However, I feel like everyone is going a bit over the top in attacking Erik. I've met him a decent amount of times and let me tell you, this man loves comics. Loves 'em to death. He wants to the industry to grow and wants it to thrive. It really pains me to read this thread as you can't imagine how much I love both parties.

Nothing Erik has said is malicious. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I think his comments are fair in that they reflect what he feels without going over the top.

Believe me when I say Erik is a great guy. He's a great human being, and Savage Dragon is my favorite comic book of all time. The man has done 185 issues straight. That's a testament to his personal character right there.

We all have opinions. We don't all share the same ones. To simply attack someone and say that "they need to be on medication" for not agreeing with their opinion IS malicious.

Call me navie, but I wish we could all get along. I would love to see Erik and JB as friends and even collaborate as I know they could make some awesome comics. I would love to see Erik draw Golgotha someday, and would love to see JB draw Arachnid. That's my dream right there.

Again, I'll reiterate that I love JB's work today and have not a single qualm with his work. I CHERISH my commissions. It's one thing to not agree with his opinions, but to bombard him with attacks is not neccessary. Erik is a great guy, and I'll stake my life on that.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

Nothing Erik has said is malicious.

••

It's really hard to make that case when there is no REASON for him to "say" what he has "said". "Correcting" the work of NEAL ADAMS and myself, to use the language you choose, amounts to an unprovoked "attack". Absolutely nothing is served by it, except, possibly, the inflation of Larsen's ego.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 4  

Nothing Erik has said is malicious.

What he did reeked of malice.  Whether he presented his malice in a polite manner is besides the point.

To simply attack someone and say that "they need to be on medication" for not agreeing with their opinion IS malicious.

You've got it twisted.  What Larsen did is the attack.  What many of us have said and done here in the forum is a reaction to the attack.

Call me navie,

You're naive.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 5  

Personally, I have always thought the layout of that Neal Adams page that Larsen "corrected" was a little confusing, but I figured it out pretty quickly.

That being said I find it incredibly pretentious and unprofessional to go around correcting the published work of other artists.

If he wants to go and show how he would change his own earlier published work that would be fine, but when you give unsolicited critiques of other work you leave yourself open for all types of criticism.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

I ask myself why even do it in the first place? Did anyone ask him to give a demonstration? Why waste your time. Aren't there enough things in your own life to concern yourself with that you need spend time on what other people have done.

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

I'd prefer he fix his own stuff first then move on to the adults!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

The album folder that Erik Larsen puts his "corrections" under on Facebook is titled "Playing God." If one wants to say what he has done is not malicious, I'd say it is very debatable, but it is unquestionably arrogant.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

Who is this Romita guy and where does he get off correcting Erik Larsen's work?

-------------------

At one time, he was the Art Director for Marvel Comics.  Judging from the photo taken here, this was at the time that Larson was working on the Spider-Man books.  I'm wondering how Romita managed to let off steam after working with the stuff those Image boys kept tossing his way?

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 10  

Agreeed, he had produced enough of his on work that he could do demostrations/lessons on his pieces. I think when he fixes art from his peers, it comes off as poor form. Am I greatly put off by it? No, it just shows a lack of professional courtesy. 

I like his work, and he definitely would be qualified to give my artwork a harsh critque, but Byrne's and Neal's work? It just comes off as arrogant. These two guys are on the Mount Rushmore of comic book artists!

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 11  

Judging from the photo taken here, this was at the time that Larson was working on the Spider-Man books.

Romita is making corrections to THOR #385, Larsen's first professional work for Marvel, cover dated November 1987.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 12  

Wasn't it Romita's job, or at least one of them, to do art corrections?

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version