Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Turning Back The Clock (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 1  

This was a tough one but I'm actually going to go with Joe's suggestion of the X-Men but I would dial a back a few more issues to right before Secret Wars. I liked the line-up (pre-Rachel), I loved JRrj's art, and there was enough drama that you didn't need Storm losing her powers or Colossus and Kitty breaking up.

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 2  

John Byrne wrote:
...And here I thought this was a thread about tonight's return to "summer time"...

I thought the same thing!

As for the main question: I was thinking of another character at first, but then I settled on another:

Batman.

I would reset back to about the late 1970's, or so. I feel that Batman from that period had returned to his darker roots just enough without being too dark. The ONE and ONLY Robin was still around, so Batman alternated between solo adventures and being one half of the Dynamic Duo. Batman was a detective, driven, but not insane, and intense at times, but not a jerk-off.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 09 March 2013 at 9:44am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 3  

I would like to turn the clock back on Wolverine - mainly so that JB
could actually handle the character his way. Even if there were a
Marvel regime change at Marvel, I realize that it can never happen
now. Too much crap has been latched onto the character, mostly in the
past 12 years.

Caleb M. Edmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 4  

The Wolfman/Perez Era Titans.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 5  

Batman has to be a Miss Marple, not a ninja.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'd reset Batman to 1979-1980, when Len Wein was writing the book--pre-
Dark Knight Returns. "Dreadful Birthday, Dear Joker" remains one of my all-
time favorite stories.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

I'm onboard with Lars and Thomas. Batman is the character with whom time has played the most havoc, flinging him carelessly between incarnations, characterizations, motivations, and such. My Batman is the Batman of the Brave and the Bold era, dressed in skintight blue and gray, with an array of clever gadgets and a serious, often grim approach to crimefighting, but not lacking in objectivity, hope, trust, or a sense of humor.

More than just the character, though, is the world in which he lives. The story of Batman Inc. or Talia bringing Bruce a cloned son, trained by the League of Assassins could have been written in 1979. A five-part story, mostly played in the background, with art by Irv Novick and Don Heck, inked by Frank Chiarmonte. Captions abounding, thought balloons over every character's head. You could even show young Damien killing opponents, albeit just off-panel. But he would have to be stopped. And if the story resulted in his death, it would be mourned, but the real villain would be Talia or her father, for having raised the boy in the League. And then next month, someone would build a bunch of remote-controlled motorcycles to rip off the proceeds of a racing event. Or the Gentleman Ghost would steal the crown jewels of London, and wear them on his future robberies. Why? It would be a mystery only Batman could solve...

It isn't the events themselves that we regret in recent books. It's the hopeless, mesmerizingly gory, unapologetically blatant approach to evil that defines modern comics. Arterial spray decorates every wall. Innocents die by the thousands, if not tens of thousands. Every villain is a serial killer. Every hero is a murdering bastich. Oh, wait. We can say bastard now. The killers of yesterday (Lobo, Wolverine, Hitman, Punisher, etc.) are just a bit less fru-fru in their work than the headliners. Everyone kills. A lot. Because the bad guys deserve it. A lot.

Turning back the clock on one hero, even our favorite, isn't going to wash the blood off the pages or lighten the "every tick of the clock is another zombie-filled apocalypse" tone of today's books.

The problem is that it is not 1979, and by that I do not mean that the stories themselves would be set during that year. I mean that no one today can or wants to craft stories in that mold, within those "limitations." Writers and audiences today would wail at the "creative restrictions" placed upon them. Why can't they have the Joker tear off his own face and wear it as a mask?? Why can't there be an array of Robins, each with their own separate antagonism with Bruce?? Why can't they Grow, and Shape, and forever make the character more Real and Impactful and Meaningful???

The insertion of an "Archie Comics Mandate" would loudly be decried as the death of creative endeavour in comics and the time when editorial fascism was allowed to run off every writer with guts and integrity and the characters were destroyed for all future generations.

"Sorry, readers. Sorry, literature," the letter drafted by Morrison, Ellis, Snyder, Bendis, and co. might read,  "We wanted to give you stories you could give a damn about. Stories that were relevant to you. Sadly, the codgers have gotten hold of the industry and there will never be a 2014 Batman. Never a 2015. All you'll ever get is 1979, over and over and over again..."

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'd go with the Uncanny X-Men and I'd reset it to before Colossus dumped Kitty but after Kitty came along. I like Rogue as an X-Man, but the rot had started to set in with Cyclops around that time, unfortunately.

Like Joe Zhang, I loved Uncanny X-Men around the early 200s, shortly after I came on board as a reader and felt it lost its magic with the Mutant Massacre, but I would reset way before then. By that point, there had already been the ridiculous Kulan Gath storyline and far too much aliens/sorcerers/space opera. And Storm had lost her powers and dressed like a punk. Loved Romita's art, but things were a little of the rails.

I'd reset to Cyclops being team leader, but still mourning the recent loss of Jean. Kitty as the newest team member, kindling the first flames of romance with Colossus. Nightcrawler just starting to get beyond the barriers with the mysterious scrapper Wolverine. And Storm. Basically the team around #139 to #143.

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

I have to go with the Fantastic Four.  Starting at about issue 100.  They are fully fleshed as characters and ready for Exploring the Marvel Universe and protecting the earth.   

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 10  

Spider-Man -- a teenager in high school, as originally (in both senses of the word) created. I would introduce Mary Jane and Harry Osborn as fellow high school students. I would avoid Gwen Stacy because of her "fated to die" status.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Don Lockard
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2013 at 1:20am | IP Logged | 11  

I would like to see Parker in his late high school/early college years. I really enjoyed the Gwen Stacy death timeline. I really enjoyed ditko's work but in my opinion nobody drew Spiderman like Todd McFarlane. So it would be great if he would return.
I would be happy to see JB return to the ff as he also had a knack of bringing his own reset. As he did when he took the helm in 1981 with 'Back to the Basics'. Good times.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2013 at 4:27am | IP Logged | 12  

I would like to see multiple titles for each character. Much like X-Men Forever have titles that are based in that time era for the creator, and allow them to write their stories without having to worry about current cross overs and such. I read more than one title with the same character now, I would jump at a chance to read my favorite creators back on their titles.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version