Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Robin Dies Horribly...Who Cares? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 1  

they have made the characters so different from those we grew up with,that we no longer care.

Exactly. Every time I read about Marvel or DC's latest mess, it makes me NOT want to read their current comics. What it does is make me remember the characters when they were done right, so instead of rushing out to buy the new stuff, I walk over to my bookshelf or longboxes and reread the classics.

This thread's got me thinking about Robin, so I'll go read something by Dick Sprang, but DC won't get a penny from me today.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 2  

Would I be totally off-base in thinking that Damian Wayne was a character who was created just to be killed off?

I haven't bought a Marvel or DC comic since about 2006, so I don't know anything about this kid or how long he's been around the DCU.

Edited by Marc Foxx on 06 March 2013 at 8:58am

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 3  

As John Byrne has stated here before, your preception of said Universe is dependant on when you started reading comic books. That being said, I feel that the real problem started when the allowed Dick Grayson to age. It really is like opening Pandora's Box. Now they needed someone else to be Robin for some reason, I suspect it had something to do with sales. However, that didn't work out, and we the fans killed him. Now it is just a vicious cycle. When they did the New 52 over at DC I was in high hopes that they would take things back to where Dick Grayson was Robin again, if there was going to be a Robin at all.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 4  

Would I be totally off-base in thinking that Damian Wayne was a character who was created just to be killed off?

----

According to Morrison, he had intended to kill Damian at the end of the story arc that introduced him, but ended up keeping him around.

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 5  

The images at the beginning of this thread are, in my opinion, utterly revolting.  At no time in my own comic book reading career (or now, when I generally don't read them anymore) are those the kinds of images I would want--or ever have wanted--to see from my favourite creators.

I have a ten-month old daughter that I peruse the LCS with, looking for JB's latest stuff; I often wonder what I'll be buying for her from the modern era of comics, if anything.  It seems for the most part, the number one priority for comic producers is to carve the deepest hole into the bottom of the lowest barrel.

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 6  

Robin Dies Horribly...Who Cares?

Oh how I miss the days of consideration among mutual fans who would be kind enough to include such things as spoiler warnings rather than dumping the end of a book right into the subject line of a discussion.

Chris Workman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 7  

They've promoted the hell out of this. It was on The Today Show and every other news outlet last week. You may need a spoiler, but DC hasn't exactly been trying to keep the world spoiler free. Not at all unlike when Marvel recently SPOILER ALERT killed Peter Parker.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 8  

In this day and age,it`s likely the story would be `spoiled` by the mainstream media anyway.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

Back in the late 80s when they did in Jason Todd it was shocking and pretty graphic.  Still basically a stunt (can stories sprung from toll phone voting not be?)   By now offing Robin has become a bad punchline.  Apparently they must feel pressure to keep outdoing themselves because those new images are repellent.  I assume this was in a mature audiences only comic, but it's sad to me that this is what Batman has become.  As Marcel suggests above, I can't imagine seeing or wanting to see something like this in my own childhood days.  My parents certainly wouldn't have knowingly let me read comics had they seen that issue when I first started collecting.

Thinking about it some more, I must admit some Frank Miller imagery was pretty rough.  For me the difference was I was almost 17 by the time this particularly graphic page came out.

Seeing a woman impaled like this in 1982 was a stunner.  But this was an excellent story... arguably Miller's greatest single Daredevil issue and one of my all-time favorites.  Still I question whether it was appropriate for an all ages book.  Frank has since moved his violence to mature audience comics like SIN CITY, so such questions went away.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 10  

I didn't "spoil" anything. DC put out press releases way in advance..News outlets are all reporting it (which is why DC let the cat out of the bag) I didn't even give a synopsis of the story, so if you wanted to read it, you can. I just put two preview pics up to illustrate a point..you have to read the book to find out what's going on....The word "spoiler" is used too much on the internet IMHO

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 11  

Yeah, not really a spoiler - it was all over the news - when I heard about it the other morning my first 3 thoughts were (1) which Robin?, (2) for how long? and (3) do they (the "media") really think this is a news story at this point?

I think one of the variant covers even blows the "surprise".

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 12  

I care.

I really liked the Damian character, who has definitely evolved from his first appearances.

I found the period when Dick Grayson wore the cape & cowl -- a brighter, cheerier Batman paired with a grim, gritty Robin -- a delight to read.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version