Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 197
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2017 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Just finished reading "All The Ages Frozen". Loved it. A classic TREK-style mystery story.

The next issue looks pretty sweet, too. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I forgot to check before I handed out all my comps. Did my little "wrong transporter room" bit make it all the way to the printed version?
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Did my little "wrong transporter room" bit make it all the way to the printed version? "

Yes.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Another itch scratched!

I decided the solution to the problem of them only every saying "the transporter room" when there should probably be a dozen of 'em with a crew that large, was that there was one transporter room, the same one, that was always "on duty" while the others were brought on line only as needed.

We can assume, for instance, that when the crew is deserting the ship in "This Side of Paradise" the other transporter rooms are operational. Probably also true when the androids beam the whole crew down in "I, Mudd".

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"..when there should probably be a dozen of 'em with a crew that large...."

Absolutely!
Whenever I watch COURT MARTIAL I just assume it anyway.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just "finished" issue 19, which contains ST:NV's first (drumroll!) DOUBLE PAGE SPREAD!

An exploding planet, no less. The effect I used, actually demolishing the model I'd built, came out very Kirby-licious, I thought. Strongly evocative of his own photomontages.

(Now we pause to imagine what the King might have done with modern technology!!)

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Very nice, looking forward to that one. 

By the way I noticed that Amazon finally revised their entry for Star Trek: New Visions Volume 5. It now has the correct page count - 152 pages, the largest TPB so far - which makes sense, since the book includes three regular issues plus "More of the Serpent Than the Dove" bonus. The listing previously cited 128 pages, and it stood like that for months...  

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"I decided the solution to the problem of them only every saying "the transporter room" when there should probably be a dozen of 'em with a crew that large, was that there was one transporter room, the same one, that was always "on duty" while the others were brought on line only as needed."

Interesting itch. Though I can't think of many situations that engineers would think of as a day-to-day need for more than a couple transporter rooms (main and cargo for bigger items) when that space could be better used for other things. But still fun to consider I guess.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 August 2017 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Day to day? Maybe not. But how about when Matt Decker beamed down his entire crew while the ship was under attack?. Do you imagine they all patiently lined up outside a single six-pad transporter room? What's the cycle time on the transporter?

It would also be most practical to get the crew aboard a new ship faster than six at a time.

In any case, based on the corridors and cabins -- not to mention Engineering itself -- I don't think wasted space is much of a consideration on a Constitution class starship.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 4:00am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That's a friggin' clever way to get around the illogic of the ship seemingly having only one Transporter Room. Works for me!

I suspect that the logistics simply weren't a consideration, at the time. After all, we saw that long line of crewmen waiting to beam down in "This Side of Paradise", and were basically left to assume that everyone was using that one and only Transporter. 

Of course, one of the great advantages of the fact that the ship wasn't planned out in great detail is that it leaves lots of room to the imagination for filling in gaps and "fixing" mistakes. There have been countless interpretations of the Enterprise's interior layout, over the years (both official and fanmade), and none of them are "wrong", per se. 

Fans have been discussing the location of Engineering, whether the Bridge is offset 37 degrees, and how many Transporter Rooms there are for decades. It's all part of the fun, really.

By the way, I recently learned one of the artists (Matt Cushman) who worked on the officially-licensed Enterprise cutaway poster from the mid-90s (which I still have a copy of) has been working on an all-new and revised cutaway poster as a (now-belated) part of the 50th anniversary celebration. He's posted some teaser images on Facebook. There are lots of little Easter Eggs and whatnot from various episodes sprinkled throughout. Looks like it's gonna be a must-buy, for me.

The original Enterprise just possesses a magic--inside and out--that no other fictional vehicle has ever quite been able to match. It vexes, thrills, and captivates all at the same time.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 August 2017 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Of course, one of the great advantages of the fact that the ship wasn't planned out in great detail is that it leaves lots of room to the imagination for filling in gaps and "fixing" mistakes. There have been countless interpretations of the Enterprise's interior layout, over the years (both official and fanmade), and none of them are "wrong", per se.

And, in a nutshell, there you have the most basic flaw in such projects as OHOTMU, which takes and RPG mentality and tries to nail down every detail of everything.

+++++

The original Enterprise just possesses a magic--inside and out--that no other fictional vehicle has ever quite been able to match. It vexes, thrills, and captivates all at the same time.

As I've noted before, the closest I've ever come to a religious epiphany was when the "Big E" swung into view across the screen of my parent's big console TV, that evening in 1966. It's not often one can point to a moment when one's life changed, but for me that was definitely such a moment!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 197
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version