Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 448 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 March 2015 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

How much "looking over your shoulder" are they doing that they wouldn't go for a cargo transporter? I wonder if they had that kind of oversight on the Technical Manual?

The "Technical Manual" was done at a time when STAR TREK was no longer a real going concern for Paramount, so I suspect there was not a lot of oversight at all.

The single transporter room concept is an itch I have wanted to scratch for a long time. As I have mentioned before, I would really like to establish that there are multiple transporter rooms, of different sizes, but the scripting of TOS stands in the way. Reference is always to "the transporter room," not, for instance, "transporter room A" or "B".

Still, maybe they'll let me scratch that itch at least a little bit, with a few extra pads. A "refit"?

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 March 2015 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The latest round of modeling:

As usual, the various parts are just place-holders at this point -- tho this time with a difference. Rather than attempting to duplicate exactly the standing corridor set, I'm going to make the various sections "wild," so that I can replace them with different units, and build a greater variety of corridor lengths than they actually had on TOS.

Scott Andrews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2015 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The single transporter room concept is an itch I have wanted to scratch for a long time. As I have mentioned before, I would really like to establish that there are multiple transporter rooms, of different sizes, but the scripting of TOS stands in the way. Reference is always to "the transporter room," not, for instance, "transporter room A" or "B".

------------------------------

I don't think that dialogue like that rules out the possibility of other transporter rooms, especially a larger cargo transporter room.  When I go to the bathroom in my house (2 1/2 baths), I don't say "I'm going to the main bathroom" or "bathroom A", I just say, "I'm going to the bathroom."

And, yes, I know it's a (quasi-)military vessel and they would probably have to be specific if there were multiple transporter rooms.  I prefer to think that, perhaps, there is just one main transporter room in each hull... so when they are on the bridge they mean the NEARBY one in the primary hull when they refer to "the" transporter room.

If they were ever going to use the "cargo" transporter room, they'd say so. Also, I would assume a cargo transporter would probably be at the rear of the secondary hull, near the docking bay and storage areas.  Probably a bit out of the way from normal traffic on the ship and rarely used except for very specific situations.  So they'd only clarify WHICH transporter room if they were going to use the "unusual" one.

Yeah, I know, a lot of conjecture, speculation and assumptions.  But at least it explains how there could be a bigger transporter room and/or more than one on the ship despite dialogue in the series that seems to rule that out.

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2015 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Multiple transporter rooms, but the equipment is so important they rotate the "active" one so they can do critical maintenance on the rest. Maybe. Or something.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2015 at 1:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Cargo transporters make sense.  A single transporter room on a ship with shuttlecraft that seem unsuited for cargo duty makes getting anything large on or off the ship kind of tricky.  Imagine trying to evacuate a lot of people to or from a planet before your orbit carried you over the horizon!  

Also, note the steps in front of the transporter chamber.  This is  suggestive of a design intended for personnel use.

The (admittedly non-canonical) cargo transporters in the Technical Manual make all sorts of sense.  If you want an in-story reason why they aren't seen much, you can surmise they take a great deal of power compared to the personnel variety.  Similar reason people use cars instead of 16-wheel semis to commute.

Edited by Conrad Teves on 19 March 2015 at 1:57am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 March 2015 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I wonder if Paramount/CBS would let me show a cargo transporter? Here's a quick and dirty. . .

The "cargo" is a "rover" that comes with Strata, not one of my own models.

Anyway, I have long wanted to do a scene where McCoy arrives late for a landing party grumbling "I went to the wrong blasted transporter room!"

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2015 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Very interesting. Few questions. How involved has Paramount/CBS been with New Visions? Do they edit the finished issues before publishing? Do you have to submit plots/scripts/etc before you begin work? You have mentioned some, "I wonder if they will let me..." before, have you had any disappointments, or things that they wouldn't let you do? The behind the scenes really is quite interesting to the whole process. I appreciate that you share.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 March 2015 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

How involved has Paramount/CBS been with New Visions?

Mostly very hands off, for which I am grateful. I send a detailed plot to Chris Ryall (as I did moments ago, for issue 9), and he sends it on to them. Sometimes they have comments, but mostly not. When the issue is finished, that too is run by them, and again they usually pass it without changes.

I think they have largely learned to trust me.

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2015 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

With your faithfulness to the television series, I would hope so. Glad to hear it isn't something like your Indiana Jones experience.

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2015 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

QUOTE:
Indiana Jones experience.

Ugh. Wasn't that the one where some lady from the studio regarded your finished drawings akin to storyboards and asked you to change stuff after it was previously approved and too late?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 March 2015 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yup. Didn't change after I left, either. At one point, after the second movie adaptation had been approved, scripted, penciled and inked, I was told she asked for a different penciler!

There was an editor at DC who worked like that. Asking for changes to Step 2 when the work was as Step 5.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2015 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Cool image.  It's never been made clear to me how the transporters work, exactly.  People beam down and up standing inside the circles but obviously larger items (like the distress beacon in "WNMHGB") beam up and occupy space outside of whatever circle they materialize over.  Outside of gigantic circles for larger items, your solution seems as good as any..  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version