Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 214 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Nobody has said that.

Okay sorry. Must have gotten the idea from somewhere by mistake.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I really liked Allen Rigby in this story - can you tell us about the actor who played him?

••

Bud, whom I credit on the last page, along with Sean Hannon, is a friend from the Theater Artist's Workshop. He's not actually an actor himself, but his husband, Richard, is, and belongs to TAW.

Richard, btw, played "The Traveller", so this issue was kind of Old Home Week! (When Spock cradles Rigby, at the end, it's actually Richard's hand subbing for Leonard Nimoy!)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Note to John Kirk: Sorry you were, as per your review, "disappointed" with this issue. Not sure, tho, how you could say there were no "philosophical musings" (that's just about all Rigby does!), and if McCoy's last line is not a suitable coda to the series, I don't know what is!

:-)

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2018 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Any updates on the hardcover omnibus, for those of us who will not have a chance to pick it up at the cons? 

Is the content simply a reprint of what is already out there? Will it be available from IDW after the cons end?  

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2018 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Ah John ... I was disappointed that it was over. 

You will have to un-disappoint me and start up another Trek series!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Iverson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2018 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just had to login and say I’ve been buying New Visions from the start. First digital but the stories and artwork were so unbelievably good I had to buy the printed versions. It’s been just like finding a whole lost season of TOS. I loved every episode. My question is…if you had one more story to tell would IDW publish it?

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2018 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

FINALLY was able to read the Gorn story 'More of the serpent than the Dove.' As I only recently realised that it was in Volume 5 of the trade collections.

So in effect, this little tale will end up being the last one of the New Vision stories I get to read. Thank JB it lived up to all my lofty expectations. Tremendous fun! (Never expected to see a female Gorn. Nicely done!)

And if the final scene I read of these is that priceless little coda of Scotty getting ready to go for a good drink, then that's a nice farewell to the series for me too. Loved them all..

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2018 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Making my way through this series again as I have recently bought the whole lot digitally for my iPad.

First observation - it looks so much better on digital - the colours pop, the backgrounds are a lot less muddy. Really nice to look at.

Anyhow, I'm reading 'Cry Vengeance', the sequel to 'The Doomsday Machine', and there is a little exchange between Kirk and Spock that stood out as one of the reasons this series is such a joy.

Spock: Do not take offence at her brusk tone, Captain. It is often very isolated work aboard a science vessel. The crew can sometimes be....lacking in social graces.

Kirk looking sideways at Spock, almost smirking, 'Can they, Mr. Spock ...'

Perfect little character moment, perfect scripting, perfect body posture, perfect illustration of the bond these two share. Not drawn, but with chosen photos to make the panel. The thought and effort that went in to that panel cannot be appreciated enough.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 October 2018 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The “acting” was, of course, a primary concern. Searching for just the right facial expressions—often “repurposing”.

Thanks for noticing!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2018 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I heartily agree!

This was the secret sauce. The interactions worked on more than one level consistently. On one level, the story moved forward, but on another was the sense that "this is how these actors would play these scenes!"

I don't believe I have ever enjoyed any Star Trek comics that I've tried because none have felt even distantly like the show to me. It's not really surprising, considering how much "information" there is to capture - likeness, design, camera work, lighting, performance, etc.

This series is really an under-appreciated achievement and I wonder if it may be recognized someday as a kind of Everest of fan-fiction. It is the gold-standard and I can't think of anything that comes close.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 October 2018 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I don't believe I have ever enjoyed any Star Trek comics that I've tried because none have felt even distantly like the show to me. It's not really surprising, considering how much "information" there is to capture - likeness, design, camera work, lighting, performance, etc.

••

There's also been the problem, as far back as the original Gold Key comics, of writers lapsing into "comic book writing". And not in a good way.

It's a delicate balance. A fully faithful adaptation is, perforce, going to entail a lot of talking heads. But that doesn't make for very dynamic comics. One must remember that those images on the TV screen have advantages, such as movement, that cannot be found on a printed page. Something else must be found to compensate for that lack. But go too far, and the inherent sense of the series (any series) is lost.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2018 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I recently heard someone talking about the book on a Podcast, and they said they couldn’t get into it because “the pacing was off”.

It’s a tricky balance, to be sure, but I’d rather see a book that feels as much like the TV show as possible. Which means a lot of dialogue, and only a handful of action scenes!

Again, I must say that one of the great strengths of NEW VISIONS is the way in which the dialogue feels so in-character that you can very easily imagine the actors speaking it. The same cannot be said of many, many other TREK comics. The Gold Key series being at the top of the list!

There’s a very specific style to TOS dialogue and technobabble (such as it was) that none of the spin-off series replicated. A certain sense of theatricality, peppered with just the right dashes of humor. Indeed, I’d argue that the BIG, theatrical style of TOS is one of the reasons it’s stuck with people for decades. It has a larger-than-life, modern-myth vibe to it, which extendes to nearly every aspect of the production. Colorful cinematography, big, memorable, orchestral scores, “big”, theatrical acting, etc.

I think the fatal flaw of many modern genre productions (and modern iterations of classic properties) is the loss of a sense of modern myth. To quote NETWORK, it’s all been reduced to the common rubble of banality. Buckets of snark and wacky humor, un-heroic heroes, nihilism, and a fear of being sincere and earnest in the storytelling. We get dishonest storytelling and a focus on flash and dazzle, instead of strong stories and characters. Empty calories instead of a nutritious meal. One gets the sense that the filmmakers don’t take things seriously or invest emotionally in the characters, so why should the audience? 

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 25 October 2018 at 2:06pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 October 2018 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I recently heard someone talking about the book on a Podcast, and they said they couldn’t get into it because “the pacing was off”.

•••

Now that sounds like someone trying to be “clever” without really knowing what he’s talking about. “Pacing” in a comic book is entirely in the minds of the readers—how fast or slow they read. How much time they give a scene.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2018 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

"Pacing” in a comic book is entirely in the minds of the readers—how fast or slow they read. How much time they give a scene."

Exactly what I was thinking. If you're a fan of TOS than the "pacing" is perfect. Because that's how you make it.

I agree with Mark, I fully believe STNV will be discovered in time and considered a hidden gem by another generation of TOS fans. It truly has no equal!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 October 2018 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Since the paperback reprints make STNV an “evergreen” there’s opportunity for TREK fans to discover it outside comic shops—places I am told they rarely visit!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Speaking of the trades, the "last" one ended up being four pages short, so Scott Dunbier asked if I could come up with something to fill that space. With Paramount/CBS's approval, I concocted a little "dream adventure". Here's the first page. . .

Gary M. Peiffer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

This is great!  Kirk, Spock, and McCoy beamed into your living room!

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Ha!!  That is excellent!! 

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

This reminds me of when you “met” the FF in “The Trial of Reed Richards” - I think you got a similar reception!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I really like that. What more can one say?!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Brilliant.

But..."dagnabbit" is my catchphrase, dagnabbit!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Fun!

JB, I hope you don't mind if I live vicariously thru you on this short.

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Fun!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

That is AWEsome! Can hardly wait to see this in print..!

And not to pick nits, but will Spock & McCoy's overlapping feet get fixed before it goes to the printer..?
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2018 at 12:35am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Great. Now I have to buy these issues for a third time - physical, digital & the new collection.
Why was I not patient with my digital buy? Why, oh why, oh why?

<< Prev Page of 214 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version