Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 448 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2015 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Fans have advanced the notion that Spock is much older than everyone else onboard since he's a Vulcan and has a long life-span, so it would be cool to utilize that... Much the same way Wolverine is supposedly cooler the further back in time we put him.

I've long disagreed with this thinking. For one thing, Spock doesn't need one more thing to alienate him from the others or to make him more special than he already is. Everything about him works if he's a man in mid-30's, right around the same age as Kirk. He doesn't need to have claim to some greater wisdom or experience that would come with age.

Plus, in "Amok Time" he goes through Pon Farr for the first time. He states that he "hoped he would be spared this, but the ancient drives are too strong." How far do we want to delay that? It's already coming rather late for him, given that it's supposedly a seven-year cycle. I wonder if T'Pring similarly thought Spock might never be called back at all, given the number of seven-year spans that came and went since his departure from Vulcan.

"Ah, but we see from Search For Spock that Amok Time was NOT Spock's first rodeo, regardless of what he says there..." you say? Yes and no. Yes, that's Spock, going through Pon Farr at what? Age 17 or so? But it is a Spock without intellect and without identity. Spock's own sense of emotional control and idea of himself as a half-breed could have been factors in tamping down or diverting the onset of his mating cycle in the past. 

TSFS's version is aging rapidly, super-charged by the Genesis Wave. Whatever he's experiencing, it's very different this time around than it was when Spock was originally at those ages. (By the way, how lucky is it that Kirk got him off the planet at JUST the right moment that he wound up EXACTLY as old as he'd been before...? Good timing, guys! :-)

And young TSFS Spock was naked under a robe lying next to Robin Curtis. I can see where that could kick a teenager's mating cycle into overdrive... :-)

The Okuda's Star Trek Chronology gives us Scotty's age during Season One as 44, with McCoy being born five years later. Spock is supposedly born three years later and Kirk another three years after that. Kirk, of course, is 34 in Season Two's "The Deadly Years" making Spock about 37 at the time of that episode and McCoy 40. While I'd prefer McCoy to be older (and therefore closer to Kelley's actual age as Doohan was allowed to be) generally I'm okay with those numbers.

Amusingly, William Rostler's "Star Trek II Biographies" side-steps the question of Spock's age by giving his birthdate as "56 Tasmeen 503" by the Vulcan calendar. It also makes McCoy two years older than Scotty and 13 years older than Kirk. So, there's clearly some room for interpretation here... :-)

Edited by Brian Hague on 13 March 2015 at 2:50pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 March 2015 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As I said, it all comes down to the age of Spock's mother. Unless the Future has a very Amish attitude to appropriate ages for brides, or Amanda is much older than she seems, Spock's age is limited.
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2015 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Amanda's even alive (and in relative good health) in
SEARCH FOR SPOCK, which further underscores JB's point.

The... er... most logical conclusion is that Spock is in
his mid-30s during TOS.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Scott Andrews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2015 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB, do you have any information about the second "New Visions" trade paperback?  Will it cover three issues again, like the first trade?  Or four?  Any idea when it will be released?

Thanks!

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2015 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just finished "A Scent of Ghosts" and once again I must say how much I enjoy hearing the voices of the cast in my head as I read (and music and sound effects creep in there as well).  I especially thought you nailed the dialog and tone for McCoy in this issue.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 March 2015 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

New set in the works, probably for issue 9.

In the actual usage, I will most likely roughen up the edges on the "rock" with Ps.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 March 2015 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Here's a look deeper into the tunnels.

For those with a technical bent, this is a Radiosity rendering. That works off just the "available" light, in this case a glow from the ceiling rods, without any actual light sources such as spotlights. Takes a lot longer to render, which is one reason I tend not to use the setting much.

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2015 at 3:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just read episode 5, LOVED the lighting used between now
and then. So well done. My only question was about
Number One's tunic, it seemed to get greener in some
panels than others. Was that a coloring problem with
printing? Fantastic issue JB, and the backup story was
incredible.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2015 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Those two tunnel shots feel very Trek to me; kudos for getting the rock vibe right (which is deceptively hard; Trek rocks are unique!)  The structure / tech looks very good, too.  Only mild suggestion would be toning down the brighter green post colors slightly (the front left post feels spot on.)  Great job.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 March 2015 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Only mild suggestion would be toning down the brighter green post colors slightly (the front left post feels spot on.)

In a kind of reverse-TOS moment, those "green" columns are actually yellow, and they ARE dulled down quite a bit. Their brightness springs from them being in direct light, while the others are in shadow.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 March 2015 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A small experiment with figure placement.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2015 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Their brightness springs from them being in direct light, while the others are in shadow.
Understood.  Spock looks great in your latest shot.

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version