Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 214 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Y'know, I really do prefer those more "military" colors!!
++++++++

TMP has taken its lumps for the redesigned uniforms and whatnot, but I appreciate the fact that they went back to the “Cage” color scheme for the sets. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

And so it ends... for now.

Received my comp copies of 22 today, including a "Convention Exclusive" cover that's a big shot of Third Season Kirk. Hm!

Somewhat ironically, I seem to have finally fixed the darkness problem!

Back to Top profile | search

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB wrote:
..."Convention Exclusive" cover that's a big shot of Third Season Kirk.

I have to assume this would be for the Omnibus book available at your appearances at Toronto and Boston FanExpo.
I am SO looking forward to getting this autographed by you, I can't even tell you.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have to assume this would be for the Omnibus book available at your appearances at Toronto and Boston FanExpo.

•••

Never assume.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2018 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Solid advice.

I do recall the skit on the Benny Hill Show where he illustrates this point on a chalk board. "When you assume you make an ass out of you and me!" ass/u/me.

I look forward to any and all developments.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I just bought a copy of the upcoming New Visions issue 22 on Ebay. What I find a bit strange is that one of the problems this series suffered was that the sales weren't big yet the online comic store from which I buy these issues usually sells all the copies they are offering. (okay they just have ten issues but still)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

They sell out, but do they up the order the next time?

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 4:01am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Eh, that has pretty much remained ten copies per issue every time a new one is released.

Unfortunate I can't really ask the store people if the number of orders for New Visions actually increased as the series continued. (people requesting that the store increased their orders because they were to late with buying an issue online)

Edit: well I decided to take a chance and ask them any way, if they actually had to order more copies after having sold the batch they got during the release.

Edit 2: and I got an answer. The store in general sells all of the issues and had to increase its order.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 03 July 2018 at 5:40am

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

In shops Wednesday....

I don't want this series to end!!!!

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2018 at 3:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

As it's Wednesday in Australia, I've just read it on the commute home. All I'll say is that it's a perfect story for a week in which Harlan Ellison shuffled off this mortal coil.

I'm glad that we've gotten a "full series" of New Visions. Thanks to JB for bringing back the magic of the original series and keeping it fresh and relevant at the same time.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

“An Unexpected Yesterday” is an excellent final chapter to this series, using elements from two of my favorite episodes to make a story that holds up completely on its own.

ASSIGNMENT: EARTH is a favorite JB series, so it is a real treat to see Gary Seven in action.  I really dig the design of the aliens in this one - you once again bring your knack for alien and ship designs into the TOS universe.  And it was cool to see alternate 21st century realities play out.

Thank you for what amounts to a wonderful “fourth season” to the show, JB - I think you successfully redeemed the show’s third season with a series of voyages worthy of Star Trek. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think you successfully redeemed the show’s third season with a series of voyages worthy of Star Trek.

••

I could ask for no higher praIse!

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I just spotted convention exclusive cover of No. 22 online. Very nice!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Bit of trivia: that con cover is the first STNV cover I didn't work on. IDW produced it in-house.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Bit of trivia: that con cover is the first STNV cover I didn't work on. IDW produced it in-house.

Are you happy with it yourself?
I have the feeling that you would have done more with such a project.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

If Bill is happy with it, so am I. Tho I would probably not have used a third season image.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

A small epiphany this morning: if we take STNV as the "fourth season", then the series would have begun circa September of 1969, and would be finishing in early 1970. So I have carried STAR TREK into a new decade!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I'll forever be grateful for the final words in "Core", particularly how it made me feel about the death of my stepfather and father. 

Thank you, Mr Byrne! 

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Well,  what a great run!  I would certainly have carried on but now it's time to put the season into syndication where it can grow in popularity and lead to one off specials.  I can't wait! 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 12:10am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

...well, that’s it. For the last time, my brain released pleasure chemicals as I opened my mailbox and pulled out an issue of NEW VISIONS. This was balanced out by my depression at there being no preview for the next issue at the end of this one.

The story itself is a fun romp, with some clever nods to TREK continuity. The timing of the book’s release—just after Harlan Ellison's death—is a bit eerie, given the Guardian of Forever’s prominence in the story.

I also note that World War III and the Eugenics Wars are explicitly said to be one and the same, just as “Space Seed” had originally indicated. TNG, of course, would later split them up into two different conflicts.

It seems to appropriate to have Gary Seven (or a version of him, at least) play a role in this finale, since the ASSIGNMENT: EARTH miniseries was JB’s first real dip into TREK comics, after the ROMULANS one-shot that kicked everything off.

The meta-ness of the story also feels appropriate. What better way to celebrate the end of this series by reaffirming that STAR TREK’s reality is still somewhere out there to inspire us? Pretty trippy to see Kirk and Spock hanging out in the present-day of our own crappy reality, too.

This has been quite a ride, both for the past four years of NEW VISIONS, and the past ten(!) years of IDW Byrne-TREK, in general. In these dark times of AbramsTREK, STD, and an increasingly-mad world, it’s been great having someone who understands the characters and the material keep the true spirit of STAR TREK alive and well, even if only in print. So much love and devotion to the source material has been evident on every page of this amazing little experiment in photomontage. This overall ten-year mission has resulted in my all-time favorite run of STAR TREK comics. And not just because it made me into a starship, and gave me the non-canonical right to refer to Captain James T. Kirk as “Uncle Jim”!

Thanks for sharing your OCD-inspired fanfic with us, JB! 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

It was an odd sensation for me, too, to flip thru my copy and not find the NEXT ISSUE pages in the back. There was actually a brief moment of disconnect. "Huh? There aren't usually ADS back here...?"

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Pretty trippy to see Kirk and Spock hanging out in the present-day of our own crappy reality, too.”

Oh, I disagree - I think Connecticut is quite nice!  Kudos to your location scout, JB!

Speaking of the sets, Gary Seven’s office looked great in print.  I remember when you gave us a sneak peek of that one - it worked great in the story.

I really liked Allen Rigby in this story - can you tell us about the actor who played him?

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

There still will be a special this year right?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Oh, I disagree - I think Connecticut is quite nice! Kudos to your location scout, JB!
+++++++++++

Mind you, I wasn't trying to knock Connecticut! Just referring to the crappily broad strokes of the world we presently live in, much as Rigby says within the story itself.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

There still will be a special this year right?

•••

Nobody has said that.

<< Prev Page of 214 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version