Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 213 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 April 2018 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB:  “This is my very liberal reinterpretation of the old Sidney Poitier/Tony Curtis movie THE DEFIANT ONES.”

It’s a wonderful play on the film, and I really like that the story begins in the middle of their alliance without explaining why they are teaming up.  It’s really cool how the story unfolds and how we later learn why they are tethered.

I went in knowing that we would have the tension of Kirk and Kor, but the moments between Spock and McCoy are excellent.  Their team-up could potentially be as tense as Kirk and Kor, but how they interact in this one reflects the complexity of their relationship.  Very well handled, JB

Kirk and Kor do not disappoint -their interplay is a great look at human/Klingon interactions.  And some of the lines are laugh out loud funny!

I didn’t know there would be a second story in the book!  “The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner” is a fun and poignant surprise.  The title’s play on the title of Coleridge’s poem is perfect. I think that kid portraying Cavor has a bright future ahead on stage, screen and photoplay!  :-) Very cool character moments, and I like that we get the broadcast TV Enterprise for this one!

Each chapter in this series has been a joy to read - I am going to miss this series after the final story.  I am so grateful we have even had this series, which didn’t even seem possible as a one-shot, let alone a 22 editions.  The series has delivered new and expertly told stories like this latest eat story “The Enemy of My Enemy”, as well as bringing a new and deeper dimension to the characters, like “Mister Chekov.”

Back to Top profile | search

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 April 2018 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB:  “Speaking of covers, this morning I sent in the cover for the 8th, and for now final, trade paperback! This will contain 21, 22, and THE CAGE Special.

8!! That's closing on 1,000 pages!!

Think how much loot I'm going to pull in when Jim Warden starts selling the original art!

oh, wait.....”

Ha! 

Glad to see “The Cage” will be included in the trade collection.  I was thinking it would exist only as a one-shot, so it’s good to see will be part of the trade.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 April 2018 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think that kid portraying Cavor has a bright future ahead on stage, screen....

•••

If you think it's me, Tim, t'is not!

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 April 2018 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I did think it was you! 

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Interesting. Strange to see the final book (ex-24) uncollected at this point.       

I also thought that Volume 8 trade would collect issues 21, 22 and ex-24, and that "The Cage" would remain a Special since it is different from the regular books. I expected "The Cage" collected in an omnibus down the road. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Ex-24?

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The final issue that was to be 24, before 23 was scrapped, and is now a Special. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

As the series draws to a close, I'm enjoying looking back on the various itches CBS/Paramount has allowed me to scratch. A few examples:

• The return of Garry Mitchell. That was a long time itchin'!

• The return of Janice Rand, as well as giving her a more reasonable hairdo!

• Tonya Barrows. My favorite of the female guest stars, and one who should have come back often.

• "Mister Chekov". A big itch scratched there, as well as finally making Chekov "real" in my own mind. (That Walter Koenig read and enjoyed the issue is an extra bonus!)

• More Gary Seven. I know "Assignment: Earth" is not a big fave with many of my fellow Trekkies, but obviously I thought the characters and concepts were cool

• "The bowling alley." Pretty shameless self-indulgence, I confess, but no complaints from TPTB.

• Expanding the shipboard sets. Not so much an itch as pure fun.

• Sam Kirk. Expanding his role beyond "dead guy," and adding a little extra poignancy to his death. (I'm told Shatner liked this one!)

• A coda to Spock's relationship with Liela Kalomi. Did it need one? Maybe not. But I wanted her to be happy.

• And in 22, addressing a BIG one, again with the blessings of TPTB.

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB, the entire series has been one hell of a ride, and I'm sad to see it go (at least on a regular schedule).  I'm glad though, that you've been able to scratch a few creative itches, and actually introduce a brand new, never before seen, innovative, graphic storytelling method. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

What some folk seem unable to grasp is that all the PARTS of this format have been seen before, in various combinations, but not all at once, in one place.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Those were all enjoyable "itches" JB!

Also you gave my favorite, Scotty, the proper respect he deserves throughout your run. Thanks!

BTW you had several opportunities to propagate the "Red Shirt" mythos, and to my delight did not.

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I've thoroughly enjoyed the run.  I will miss it but if we are going to get one or two specials each year, I think this will give me something to live for.

An especially big thumbs up for the return of Rand.  It's nice to have a woman who isn't tied down to a work station.

Looking forward to seeing Caroline Palamis again too!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Read # 21. The first story is a lot of fun. Having recently watched the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA for the first time, and enjoying John Kolicos’ performance as Baltar, I find myself very much wishing that he had appeared as Kor more than once in TOS.

The alien design in the first story is really neat, and they integrate well into the story’s imagery.

I also noticed the nods to later lore, with Kor’s pinkish blood and subtly-developing forehead ridges. There’s also Scotty’s tag line in the second story, which is an obvious call-forward to “Relics”.

The real treat of this issue is that second story. It’s wild and wacky, and presents a rather unique version of time travel! More importantly, I enjoyed the heck out of the transitional first-to-second pilot crew, which opens a can of worms regarding story potential. After all, there haven’t been a huge number of stories featuring the pilot era characters. There’s a rather huge chunk of the original Enterprise’s service history and ever-shuffling personnel that’s gone untapped. Seeing the mixture of characters in this story (...I almost wrote “episode”) just gets the wheels turning in my head. Lots of potential there for stories and relationships to develop between characters we know, but who never appeared together onscreen.

I also appreciate the attention to detail in making everything fit together. To say nothing of the little things, like Pike using the gooseneck viewer on his chair to call Engineering. The only visual incongruities I noticed were the minor difference between the first and second pilot’s uniform insignia patches, and one panel where Spock’s tunic was still colored first pilot-blue. The CG pilot-era Bridge looks great, and blends in pretty gosh-darn seamlessly. 

Very enjoyable issue! Each one is gonna be that much more precious until the last one is published! Gonna be a long TREK drought, after that!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Doyle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

JB:  Excuse if this has been asked.  With working so close with the original sets, do you ever see mistakes that were missed that you have to fix?  A stray boom mic, set pieces not fitting, etc.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Not really. About the closest it get to that is brush strokes on bulkheads, and those occasional end shots of Spock's station where the next section has been pulled back out of the way.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

For TOS mistakes, the next time you watch Journey to Babel, pay attention during the "wine and cheese" reception of the diplomats. If you watch the bottom of your screen, under the table with the food, you will see the masking tape on the floor showing the actors where to hit their marks.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Hey Mr Byrne, during your run did you ever consider doing a story that tackles dark energy, seeing as you already did stories with big cosmological concepts such as the heat death of the universe and what would happen if a newly born universe emerges into the Star Trek universe.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Star Trek: New Visions Volume 8 is now available to preorder (128 pages, will come out on January 29, 2019). 

It collects No. 21 ("The Enemy of My Enemy"), No. 22 ("An Unexpected Yesterday") and "The Cage" Special. 

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Awesome cover!  The collections have had some really cool covers, featuring very different stories.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Yes they do. 

I am noticing, however, that the temporary cover for Volume 7 coming out this August (which is the same as the cover for No. 19, "The Hunger") is still used everywhere. I hope that the collage cover will happen for Volume 7 too. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Awesome cover! The collections have had some really cool covers, featuring very different stories.

•••

Wish the second cover was better. Those 3.5 stories defied montaging.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Just for funzies -- not to mention quick and dirty -- playing again with the notion that the "refit" before TMP did not happen all at once.

Y'know, I really do prefer those more "military" colors!!

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I think the TMP Enterprise is my favourite ship of the whole franchise. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Just for funzies, a WIP:

Inspired by flipping thru the booklet that came with the Eaglemoss Botany Bay model. Once again taking advantage of my "unlimited budget" to expand the set and add some details.

Job made a little easier by the fact that I had already been working on a model of the lab section of Sickbay.,

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

When does JB’s last issue come out?

<< Prev Page of 213 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version