Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 214 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Sorry to hear this will be ending. This book
has been a joy to read. It truly has been
like getting new episodes of the original.
Back to Top profile | search

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Really a great "season" of Star Trek John!  Your entire body of work on Star Trek - from Romulans to New Visions - was great.  I will miss it.  

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Sorry to hear that you're closing out New Visions for now, JB. It's been a fun ride. Probably less fun for you than for us, given the amount of work you've put into this thing!

I hope you get the chance to do more Star Trek, and sooner rather than later.

Edited by Ted Downum on 08 March 2018 at 8:39am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Probably less fun for you than for us, given the amount of work you've put into this thing!

••

I don't measure my fun factor against how much work there is. Some of the hardest slogging -- like STNV -- has been the most fun, while easy jobs have sometimes been a drag.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

And, to assure you all that work goes on, here's a ship interior for 24. Still lots of Jefferies-esque detailing to add. Very happy with the deck!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Very sorrowful to hear this, Mr. Byrne. Your series is one of the bright spots in my comic(ish) collecting. Its heart, imagination, creativity, and cleavage to the original televised episodes are a true delight.

Or, in terms you'd likely expect: NOOOOOOO!!!

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This is such disappointing news - it went from a fun experiment to one of the best series of JB’s career.  It’s been incredible to me that each issue has gotten better and better considering that I thought there was a limit to how many stories could be done with this format.  JB has shown that there was no limit - the bar kept getting higher and higher with each issue.  “Isolation”, the most recent issue, has shown the best use of comic book language to tell a story that resonates more than some actual episodes of the show (I’m looking at you, TOS Third Season!)

JB, I can’t thank you enough for these stories.  You’ve pushed the boundaries of comic book storytelling beyond what I could imagine with this series.  Thank you for boldly going!

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

:((

John, I am truly saddened to read the news.

It crossed my mind that a grand total of 26 books could be a logical place for a full stop - when we discussed how a 48 page issue equals a 50 minute TV episode, and how seasons on TV in the pre-Netflix days usually had 26 episodes per season - but I was hoping that New Visions would go on. 26 books ("Strange New Worlds" Annual + 24 regular issues + "The Cage" Special) is quite an achievement, an equivalent to TOS Season 4 if you will. I truly wish there could be 26 more, as Season 5.

Volume 7 TPB (collecting issues 18-20) is scheduled for August, and I assume there will be Volume 8 in late 2018 as well (collecting issues 21-23). 

What will happen with the final issue 24? Will it be collected in (oversized and delayed) Volume 8, or is it going to stay uncollected?

Also, what do you mean by "at least on anything like a regular schedule"? What are some of the alternative avenues of getting more New Visions content after issue 24?

Finally, you mentioned omnibus possibility briefly - what happens with that, in the light of the latest developments?             

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I am sad to read that New Visions is coming to an end, but when you mentioned earlier in this topic that you had an ending or final issue in mind I should have anticipated that this announcement sooner or later.

I do hope that you will eventually draw or assemble new Star Trek stories again when you feel like it.

Now that I know that the Pike-Kirk crossover won't be happening I would like to ask if you are still planning to do a story with the Romulans which topic I brought up quite some time ago.

With New Visions coming to an end I won't be buying any more Star Trek comics from IDW as I have found their tie in comics to the most current Star Trek incarnations average to abysmal (much like the new Trek movies and Discovery itself)

Unless IDW will have some previous writers whose work I like, or new writers and not the ones they normally have for Star Trek write some new comics set in one of the first four series (or at least their time periods).

But outside an occasional one shot I am not expecting that to happen.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

There is a chance I may do occasional Specials, if I can hatch appropriate stories.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

There is a chance I may do occasional Specials, if I can hatch appropriate stories.

I really hope you do.

Edit: I guess they will be sort of your "Star Trek movies" :D

Edited by Marten van Wier on 08 March 2018 at 12:05pm

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I also hope that occasional Specials will materialize. I'll keep an eye on this thread from time to time after issue 24 comes out with that in mind.

Perhaps it is too early to even ask, but down the road it would be great to know what exactly happened.

Beyond the immediate Star Trek context, for me New Visions will always be a great proof of concept for photocomic form in general, a mighty demonstration that this is a valid medium for telling new original stories. I always loved realistic style of drawing in comics, and this represents the next logical step. John thank you for taking it - I am sure that the experimental nature and originality of it all will be truly appreciated in hindsight (as it usually happens with new and unfamiliar developments).

And while we are on the topic of photocomics - I have to admit that I have never seen that amount of flak directed against a comic book series before. Opposition to the form from folks who wanted to see the usual comic book with drawings instead of an experimental one with photographs and CGI generated numerous hostile reviews online, which no doubt had a negative impact on the sales. I hope that low sale numbers are not the main reason this happened now.      

I will always gladly show my New Visions collection to people as an example of what photocomic can do as a storytelling device. I enjoyed everything that came out so far, and I am looking forward to what is in the pipeline. In the pressure age of children and mortgages I discovered New Visions as quite a unique breath of fresh air, and it is most likely the last comic book series that I will regularly follow. Getting issues was an occasional throwback to carefree days of youth, and for that - thank you John.      

Edited by Aleksandar Petrovic on 08 March 2018 at 1:00pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Perhaps it is too early to even ask, but down the road it would be great to know what exactly happened.

••

?

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The reason(s) for ending the New Visions run is what I meant.  

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

It's been fun for me. I've only missed issue #2 somehow, but I have everything else. I've enjoyed everything that JB's put out at IDW. It's been a great ride for me. 
I guess I should look over eBay for #2 to complete the run for me. Maybe an omnibus later if we're lucky. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

If anyone (cough) had never read a single issue of New Visions what would be the best way of reading them physically? Get the trades - do they include everything? Any chance of Omnibus type collections?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Buy the trades.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I recently ran into an old co-worker who is a
huge Star Trek fan but not really a comic
fan. We were catching up on what we had been
doing etc. He mentioned that he went to the
Las Vegas Trek convention about a year or so
ago and met a "comic book guy" named John
Byrne who was doing these cool photo novel
Star Trek books. He said he bought a couple
at the con, loved them and was going online
buying all of them since the show. In regards
to your latest con appearances you made at
least one new fan.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

There were quite a few Trekkies who discovered the book at the Vegas and NYC cons in 2016. Not enough to really boost the sales, tho.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Update:

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

From February 2013, to sometime in mid-/late-2018... congrats on the near-completion of your own 5-year Mission, JB!  It's sad one hand, but reason to celebrate on the other.

(I only have two NEW VISIONS trades so far... time to fill-in the gaps in my collection.)

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

NEW VISIONS has been one of the best reasons to travel
to the comic shop over the last few years.

I'm keeping my dream of being immortalized as a Klingon
alive.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I am really sad these will stop. It's hard to express all the ways I think this series was special. It's not a sensible thing, but this series really made me feel like the show was "back on the air."

Ground breaking work doesn't happen a lot in comic books anymore, but I think this one was full of exciting breakthroughs. I seriously doubt anyone else could have done this great idea nearly as well. Thank you for the hard work, passion and great comics!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Even if the two incidents are unrelated, I was concerned that the news about Chris Ryall leaving IDW might mean the end of NEW VISIONS (at least as a regular series).

It's been fun knowing how much fun you have been having, JB. I know this was a passion project for you as much as anything. I will miss seeing all the new models and such for this series. Thanks for letting us share your fun.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 08 March 2018 at 11:28pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

We’ve had literally a full decade’s worth of Byrne STAR TREK comics from IDW. This sad news can’t get me down, because it’s all been such a fun time.

I never imagined everything which would come after that initial ALIEN SPOTLIGHT: ROMULANS one-shot. So many fun stories, so much fun discussion. I even became a starship, and can now call Captain Kirk “Uncle Jim”. Still can’t believe that part! 

I am one happy TREK fan, and one happy Byrne fan. What a great ride. 

If more is to come in the form of specials and whatnot, awesome. But I feel more of a sense of gratitude and nostalgia than loss at this news. I think I’ll get soon get around to re-reading the whole TREK Byrneverse Saga as a way of celebrating the past decade.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 214 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version