Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 207
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2018 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Volume 6 arrived on Friday, blissfully consuming a large part of my Sunday afternoon. 

I enjoyed all 6 stories (3 longs and 3 minis). Reading these TPBs as previously unseen material works very well - I grew up on Franco-Belgian comics in album format, and I am quite used to consuming things as larger packages with a long wait in between.       

Great stories and execution. I am always reminded how different it is from anything else out there. 

Very nice. Thanks John!

Back to Top profile | search

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2018 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just finished #20 ... your appreciation of original series aside, is there a basic formula you adopt in creating the episodic adventures for each issue? I mean, it's just like watching an original show for me. What a great starter - the emergency systems activating automatically. How do you come up with starters like these, I guess is a better question.

Liked it a lot. I'll be reviewing it briefly on Popmythology and then a more detailed one on Trekcore.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

…your appreciation of original series aside, is there a basic formula you adopt in creating the episodic adventures for each issue?

••

Same one I have always used: letting ideas crash around in my skull until something like a story starts to appear. Then honing that into a tale worth telling.

The only difference with STNV is that I also have the original episodes in the background, so I can keep track of which images are available. Sometimes stories can twist a bit, if I realize I don't have the shots I need (or the parts to build the shots I need).

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

In shops today! 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 February 2018 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've mentioned before that "letting the characters tell me their story" often ends up in a totally different place from where I started out. This was one of those stories.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 February 2018 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Noticing the date on the first post in this thread -- my own "five year mission!"

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Tinkering with my First Season Engineering model, most notably that rarely seen corner at left. Not likely ever to use this "set", but I started out building models for fun, long before STNV was even a gleam in my eye!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Nice REVIEW of the newest issue by John Kirk, over at TREKCore.

However, being me, I must point out that Spock is a rationalist, not a rationalizer.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That feels like a really fresh angle on a familiar space.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Regarding the five years comment, I went back to the very beginning of the thread I noticed that John wrote "How far will I get before I lose interest, I wonder?"

John I am curious - is New Visions an open end proposition (i.e. issues will come out as long as there is continuing interest on your part), or do you have a target/end game in sight for the series?

I noticed that "Strange New Worlds" was published on December 11, 2013, so the series is approaching 5 years on that front as well at the end of this year. Is there a far better awareness of the series now? At (soon-to-be) five years, how are the sales doing?   

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

John I am curious - is New Visions an open end proposition (i.e. issues will come out as long as there is continuing interest on your part), or do you have a target/end game in sight for the series?

•••

Sorta both.

++++++++++

I noticed that "Strange New Worlds" was published on December 11, 2013, so the series is approaching 5 years on that front as well at the end of this year. Is there a far better awareness of the series now? At (soon-to-be) five years, how are the sales doing?   

•••

Despite a flurry of fans becoming aware of the series for the first time at two cons in 2016, there has been no appreciable up tick in sales, which remain low. Frustrating part there being most people are not refusing to read it because they don't like it, they simply don't know it exists!

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2018 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Strange. 

What every Star Trek fan should love about New Visions is this unique chance to enjoy brand new TOS adventures with the actual characters (instead of their dubious representations). It is the closest thing to a brand new TOS episode, 50 years later, straight from the mind's eye.

I just hope that sale numbers do not jeopardize the project... 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 1:49am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Enjoyed the heck out of this latest issue. Very impressed by the CG sets. They blend in very well, now, and their extensive usage doesn’t at all stand out and pull me out of the story. There are some really lovely panels of the Bridge and other shipboard locations from “new” and/or panoramic angles which provides a nice, fresh feeling to the visuals.

The story itself is fun, with some interesting cameos. I could practically hear that cutesy-funny music from various TOS episodes as I read the final panels. The backup story is a hoot, too. 

In an age where so few long-running genre series have stayed properly on-model, this series is like an oasis in a particularly harsh desert. It’s really the only STAR TREK fix I need, these days. I can do without other modern TREK TV/movie/print materials, because this series feels so spot-on in terms of characterization and tone. It scratches the itch. Love it!

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

•••

Sorta both.

I kinda had hoped that you would continue making Star Trek stories until you would not be able to do so any more. (then telling other people what to draw or make with photo manipulation software as you have them make your stories)

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Latest episode was a blast. Like Mr. Kirk pointed out in his review , it was a nice tour of the ship.

Favorite quote: Scotty; "Ye'll nae stop me so easy!" Give 'em hell Scotty!

Ok 20 "lost episodes" into this grand experiment. So I re-visited the lot, got to say each episode has something special about it, I love 'em all.
If coerced to pick a favorite right now, I keep going back to "Mister Chekov" again and again.

Thanks JB!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Nobody has commented yet on my CGI blue alien. I guess... that's good?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2018 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I liked him from the sneak peak up thread.

That craggy face is well done.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 207
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version