Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 198 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Guest Stars. Would I want to feature characters "returning"? A story I long ago wanted to explore, for instance, was the return of Gary Mitchell.

+++++++++

I find myself a bit surprised by this--the second pilot told a complete and satisfying tale, after all. I'm not all that big on revisiting stories that had a definitive ending ("Space Seed" being a clear exception). Still, I have no doubt that you'd bring Mitchell back in a very interesting and logical way! I'm intrigued.

++++++++++++

Post-TOS Continuity. In my IDW series I have already visited the characters as they were after the show. While this project would be set "between episodes" in the original, would I be bound to what we know from what came later? Could I finally do "The Face of Fear", and "reveal" why the Klingons looked so different in TMP, or does the ENTERPRISE resolution block that path? This is, after all, the kind of project that would be endlessly dissected by the overly anal fanboys, and while I generally care not a whit about what they might think, I also don't want to just HAND them their ammunition!

+++++++++++

I suppose it would come down to which is more important to you--the challenge of staying inside canon, or the fun of letting loose!

I also think it would be interesting to see how you'd handle incorporating movie-era screencaps into a story, by using it as a framing sequence that surrounds a TOS flashback story, since the movies introduced the "crunchy" Klingons!

And, since this would essentially be fanfic, you should do whatever you freaking want.

Hey, if fanboys can write their own fanfic that doesn't play along with canon, why can't you? After all, it's not as if this would be a professional, officially-licensed STAR TREK story that fans have to pay for. I think an officially-published story should be held to a higher canonical standard than a fun little side-project like this.

But, please, no "Slash"!

+++++++++++++++

Cut and Paste. When I first conceived this project, lo these many years ago, my thought was to use scenes, including dialog, from TOS show ON VIDEO. Doing it in "fumetti" form is, of course, enormously liberating in this respect, since I can have the characters saying entirely different dialog -- but can I drop Character A into Scene Q, where s/he was not before, in order to get the scene/interaction I want? Just how "pure" does this project need to be?

++++++++++++

As noted above, I think it comes down to Challenge vs. Fun.

I think it would be awesome to see you go all-out and manipulate images--for example, in a story guest-starring, say, Commodore One, you could simply take existing shots of the Enterprise and replace the name/registry number to turn her into the Yorktown.

Using photo-manipulation (and maybe 3-D modeling for new ships and sets and such) would allow for some very cool scenarios which would not be possible otherwise.

On the flipside, creativity thrives on restrictions, and I'd also love to see what you could do with just the raw TOS screencaps.

Or, you could, y'know, do both! Why stop with just one of these stories?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Elliott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I really enjoyed the fotonovels when they came out.   I still haven them, but mine didn't age really well.

The idea of cutting and pasting together a new episode from existing footage sounds like it could be nice.  I had a similar thought while watching Arena this weekend.  New episodes in fotonovel format seem like they could be well done now and video format isn't far off (if at all).
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2013 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I preferred the photonovels for Alien and Outland that were done as 81/2 X 11 format, with all captions beside the photos rather than as word balloons.  Those were things of beauty, and I would have paid good coin if the Star Trek movies were released in that format. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 February 2013 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

...the second pilot told a complete and satisfying tale...

Personally, I have a hard time being "satisfied" with a god-like being meeting his end by having a large rock dropped on him. This was, after all, someone who, only moments earlier, had resisted fire from a phaser rifle!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Personally, I have a hard time being "satisfied" with a god-like being meeting his end by having a large rock dropped on him. This was, after all, someone who, only moments earlier, had resisted fire from a phaser rifle!

+++++++++++

Odd...I've never stopped to question that ending!

Mitchell resists phaser-fire, yes. But, Dehner then lays the psionic whammie on him, which causes his powers to temporarily disappear. His silver orbs return just as Kirk is about to deliver a killing blow.

However, I've always taken it that Mitchell simply wasn't back to full power after Dehner's attack (although he does display super-strength), which allowed Kirk to crush him under that rock.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2013 at 11:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm in the cut loose camp. 3d models, cut and paste and anything you can think of! "Face of fear" sounds very cool. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

However, I've always taken it that Mitchell simply wasn't back to full power after Dehner's attack (although he does display super-strength), which allowed Kirk to crush him under that rock.

Tho Dehner, who has not had the power as long as Mitchell, and is presumably therefore not as strong, is able to survive his attack long enough to make an apologetic speech to Kirk after Mitchell's "death". Add to this that the captain of the Valiant had to blow up his ship in order to destroy his own "mutate", and simply crushing Mitchell -- with the rock he intended for Kirk -- seems more ironic than practical.

In other words, an ending that suits the writer's needs, and not really the parameters of the story.

(When this episode first aired, I was but an innocent wee lad of 16, and would never, ever have presumed to question what any television episode told me. Yet, the next day in school, as I reviewed "Where No Man has Gone Before" in my mind, I found myself thinking Now, wait a minute...)

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

But, please, no "Slash"!

I don't know what this means. Should I be glad of that?

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

You sweet, innocent man you.

Would that I could say I have never come across an expanation as to what that means.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Perusing the screen shots of "Man Trap" this morning, to be certain there were not enough to complete this project properly, I decided to amuse myself my tinkering in a TREK "tradition" that had not made itself known when this episode was filmed.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

All right, then! If I am going to build a "lost episode", I must now decide how to begin. Do I come up with my story, first? Or do I go thru the available images on TREKCore.com and build a "library" for each character, set, prop, vessel, etc?

The latter seems the most logical approach, somehow. Clicking thru the collected images, and knowing how my brain works, I am most likely to find a story "growing" (just as I did yesterday, introducing "Mirror" Kirk into a shot where he did not appear before. Hmm... "Broken Mirror"...?)

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Slash" = / = Gay?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Yes, and... some unbelievable stuff. When I earned my Masters at Columbia, I was so happy to step into a class and see "Star Trek" on the syllabus. But then -- we were made to read this Slash Trek literature.

My brain is still reeling....

On the question of story or images first, I say -- go with images.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

"Slash" became a short form word for Kirk/Spock fan written stories that delved into them being gay.  So "Slash fiction" is a term now applied to any fan fiction for any franchise where characters we thought were straight turn out to be gay for each other.  e.g., Adam 12 slash fiction.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

So cool, JB!  I'm glad you're digging into this one!

I have a question which might be obvious, but I am not tech savvy so I will ask anyway:  Are you limited to using images from TREKCore.com, or can you use your DVDs to do screen grabs? 

I ask because it seems like you would be able to choose just the right gesture or movement from the characters if you use screen grabs.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I'd encountered some of this stuff -- "Slash" -- around 1978 or so, but it had not picked up this terminology at that time.

Amusingly enough, when I was growing up in England, the / mark was called an "oblique stroke", a term I still use when I'm in the mood to be pretentious. I wonder if this kind of stuff is called "Stroke" on the other side of the Pond?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Still puttering. . .

The layout on this one works a lot better than the others, I think.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

"Now!" -- that's terrific.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Here's another. Starting to get the hang of this, I think. Coming quite fast now!

Struck once again by the richness of these early episodes. The subdued lighting and saturated colors.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

As far as whether you should "cheat," I would heartily encourage it!  Seeing the fusion of what I assume is Amok Time with Mirror, Mirror and that prone Scotty (I'm enjoying guessing... "is that from Galileo Seven when he's draining the phaser on the floor, or perhaps when he's bending down in the low space in the Fesarius at the end of Corbomite Manuever...no, wait... Scotty didn't beam down at the end, he beamed them down... is it from "Lights of Zetar" when Mira zaps him"  etc...)  Seems to me it's common practice for media now to cut and paste bits from other contexts (David E. Kelley did an entire Boston Legal episode based on an unrelated clip from an old Studio One episode starring a young Shatner from four decades earlier).  I think "cheating" would make it much more fun!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Loving, loving, loving this!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

It isn't cheating. It's merely changing the conditions of the test. I, for one, commend the original thinking involved... :-)

I'm only guessing, but I would think the Scotty pic is from "I, Mudd" when the others "kill" him with pointy-finger phasers and sound effects at his request as he cannot stand any more happiness...

Those "pages" from "Corbomite Maneuver" are like a map on how to get to a place where one is able to do creative comic storytelling well.

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Brian Hague: It isn't cheating. It's merely changing the conditions of the test. I, for one, commend the original thinking involved... :-)

-------------------------------------------------

Setting face to 'grinning like a sand tiger at feeding time'...

As for those 'Corbomite Maneuver' pages, totally agree with just how great those colours look in tandem with the lighting - neat-o-rama!

Combine that factor with JB's choice of shots and the panel layout, and I'm getting a distinctly 'Frank Bellamy's Thunderbirds comics' vibe from them. As I say, neat-o-rama...!

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

ahhh. this fills me with happy thoughts. Simply amazing. Off to read them again. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Another page. . .

<< Prev Page of 198 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version