Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 197 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 July 2017 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Incidentally, in issue 20 I am doing a standard TOS move, using an actor in a different role, plus bringing in two "guest stars" in the form of actors playing the same parts they did before. Tho it's a little bit complicated with the second one!

Sometimes, rewatching episodes, I find myself wishing certain actors were not so strongly identified with the parts they played. Being a Gary Lockwood fan. for instance, I'd love to use him as a different character, but he is too "enmeshed" in Garry Mitchell. Similarly, I'd like to find something for James Gregory (such a great face!) but I can't really see him as anyone other than Tristan Adams. And the sixteen year old inside me positively squirms at the thought of "recasting" Mariette Hartley, but...

Ever so slightly ironically, Diana Muldaur appeared twice, in different roles, which almost invites using her again ---- but she's not on the approved list!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A bit of fun from one of the issues in the works. A guest star, a recasting, and, well, see for yourselves. . .

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Love that image! I also wanted to say I absolutely loved the first two volumes of New Visions that I bought last week and will definitely be purchasing vol 3 and 4 and any future volumes IDW releases. Reading these I'm transported back to my childhood and watching Star Trek for the first time and each story is like getting new episodes of one of my favorite shows ever. The dialogue is spot on and I know you said there was a steep learning curve on this series, JB, but I think they look pretty great right from the start (although I did note the improvement as the series progresses). I loaned the first volume to a friend of mine who's a huge Star Trek (and William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy) fan and he had nothing but praise for it.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Your use of one of the alien Federation Council members from STAR TREK IV reminds me that there are several other council members in that film who were apparently supposed to be of the same species as M'Ress.

So, at least there's a live-action precedent in regards to translating the animated look to "reality".
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Was that sort of werelion we saw as a navigator supposed to be of the same species as M'Ress?

Incidentally, I was thinking along the lines of her father being outraged by a romance with Sulu, which would put a very Roddenberry spin on the old "would you want your daughter to marry one" bigotry.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2017 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Was that sort of werelion we saw as a navigator supposed to be of the same species as M'Ress?
++++++

That Saratoga officer (as well as the Federation President in STAR TREK VI) was said to be an Efrosian in publicity materials, so no. They look closer to Klingons, with the subdued cranial ridges and whatnot.

The guys in the Federation Council chamber are much more cat-like, though, and they were apparently intended to come from M'Ress' homeworld.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 28 July 2017 at 10:25pm

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Is that Palamis?  I hope so!

Do you have permission to use Celeste Yarnell?  She spends most of her episode wandering around armed with a phaser plus a fair bit of running so she'd make a good female security guard.

There is also a cat lady in Star Trek V and some furry cat masks for sale online for guest actors, although I would expect them to be quite over-sized and a bit pricey for a one-off or fot the smaller ones, to require make-up.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Celeste Yarnell is on the approved list, and I have thought about finding something for her character to do, but unfortunately there's not a lot of range of poses and facial expressions in "The Apple", so she might be limited to a background "yes, she's still aboard" appearance.

(Curiously, for the other cast members, I find myself going to "The Apple" quite often. Also to "Operation: Annihilate". A tiny irony that two of my least favorite non-third season episodes should be so chock full of useful images.)

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2017 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yes she does spend much of her time in the background either with her arms folded or looking baffled but she is carrying both a tricorder and a phaser, she walks, runs, fights, kneels, and has a few close-ups, although editing the flower out might be a good idea.  I reckon there is enough variety to use her as background security support in a couple of stories without even repeating yourself!  She probably has more useful shots than Barrows, who spends half her time in a ripped uniform looking upset.

I'm a big fan of trying to right the wrong from the TV show and give the women more to do but that doesn't have to mean marginalising some of the male characters instead.  Barrows is our favourite, so if she's Kirk's current yeoman, then use her as his yeoman but you can still feature Landon and Tamura in security situations, or Mears, Ross (there is a CPO in TMP called Chief Ross), and Rand in engineering.  The key, I think, is not to place them into marginalised jobs where they can't casually contribute to the story.  Janice, if she stays in records, may struggle to be an effective character unless a story is written around that in the same way as Chekov's stint in engineering.  Otherwise she becomes a peripheral figure, like Nurse Chapel, which would be a shame.

Ironically, Palmis and Mulhall could contribute to a lot of stories featuring alien civilisations or alien life forms but one is... otherwise engaged... and the other can't be featured.  Damn.

Edited by Paul Newland on 30 July 2017 at 8:49am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 August 2017 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

A curious, tho perhaps not all that surprising, comment from an editor at IDW. Based on feedback, they have apparently found that NEW VISIONS goes over big with people who are not "conventional comic readers".

I interpret that to mean those people who have spent WAY too many years reading comics, and have built all kinds of rules for what they should be. The people who complain that they "don't like photos with word bubbles* in them" but who have no problem with the photorealistic painted books.

* demonstrating their lack of comprehension of the form

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2017 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

And again I say, STNV needs to be displayed in conventional bookstores.

Hopefully that feedback will prompt the marketing dept. to action.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 August 2017 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

And again I say, STNV needs to be displayed in conventional bookstores.

The trades are.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2017 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

That's encouraging news.

Though I have not seen them at the Barnes & Noble near me. I'll keep an eye out.

I kind of had more than an inkling STNV would find its audience outside comicdom . Hopefully there will be a word of mouth snowball effect amongst that demographic.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 August 2017 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

A quick check shows B&N.com not only has the trades, but also back issues of the comic. Plus my other STAR TREK work.

AND they have STOWAWAY, too!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2017 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Yep , I see that on their site. They are not available in my local stores but can be ordered in for pick up. Or as a Nook Book.
Another avenue to get these books , that's a good thing.

Incidentally, I very much enjoyed the latest episode #17.

It flowed well. Maybe too well I was finished in what seemed like seconds.
That's when you know you're really into the story.
The bottomless budget at your beckon call, allows for many sets in one episode (including flashbacks) while keeping that ever so precious TOS tone.
I wouldn't be opposed to a Toby short in a future episode.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

John, IDW editor is definitely correct. I don't really buy comics (individual issues with stitched binding and 24 pages of actual comics), in fact I never did - plus I still haven't seen TOS. And yet, here I am.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 5:57am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

One of the more misguided complaints occasionally leveled against NEW VISIONS is that it's all "just cut and paste." Anyone with even a modicum of perception at their command would realize this is not the case ---- except when it is!

Here's a page I finished this morning. Except for Chekov in the third panel, and the shot of Spock in the last, this is not only "just cut and paste" but all the shots come from the same scene, and in their original order!

Really handi when things come together like that!

Years free membership in the JBF to the first of you to name the episode. (The last shot of Spock is also from the same show, but a different scene.)

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Is that from The Tholian Web ?

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Read "All the Ages Frozen" last night - the latest installment that came out this week.  At twice the length of a typical comic book, this is has become a reliably fulfilling and fun reading experience with each release.

The pace of this story is really effective.  I really liked how we alternated between Scotty, Kirk/Spock, and McCoy to reveal the mystery of the planet.  It's cool to see them pick up differnet pieces of what is happening, building up the tension as we see Kirk and Spock on their way to a potential long term stay on the planet.

Pel is a fantastic character - her ethereal, haunting of the chamber had me convinced she was a ghost.  The truth is much more interesting.  I really liked the look of Pel - spooky and mysterious.  And I REALLY like the design of the S.S. Giordano Bruno (I needed a magnifying glass to get that name!)

The design of the alien preservation chamber is really cool - it is part sci-fi technology and part eerie graveyard.  It's great to see new dimensions of the TOS universe.

And after reading this edition, I am hoping for a spinoff series:  TOBY: THE CRYING ROBOT. :-)  The initial scenes with Scotty are great comic relief in this one, but as the story progressed I thought Toby's story was quite touching.  I really like that robot - my favorite robot babysitter since that flying frog H.E.R.B.I.E.!!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I was hoping for a couple of pages of backup to show TOBY reuniting with "his" (or is that "her"?) family, but the story paced out full length.

(For those who are interested, TOBY began as a ten year old human girl. I had arranged for the casting of the daughter of friends, but then we found we could not get our schedules to mesh. They live near Washington, DC, and I was all set to hop on the Accela, but things went sideways. Ah, well! Wasn't it W. C. Fields who advised never to work with children?)

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Are the images from Gamesters of Triskelion?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

And we have a WINNAHHHHH!

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2017 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Dammit, I went through most of the episodes that I remember had Kirk off the bridge to find the scenes used in the panel but I did not think of checking out that one out.

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2017 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

All the Ages Frozen was a great read.  Effective use of the supporting cast, a nice chunk of action for McCoy, awesome guest star, and a compelling mystery plot. That's two stories in a row to feature all the principal recurring cast from TOS Trek history too.  I love that sort of thing!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 06 August 2017 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Incidentally, I have made use of the Captain's cabin "set", but somewhat ironically, given all the work involved, I had to remove all the "decorations" as the model is appearing as Chekov's new private quarters.

I also flopped the images.

<< Prev Page of 197 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version