Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 197 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Fantastic production design, JB - my compliments to the construction crew! I think your NEW VISIONS sets fit perfectly into what we have seen on the TV series. The sets have expanded my impression of the original Enterprise while fitting right in with the look and feel of the show.

Thanks. Even tho I have an "unlimited budget" on STNV, I try to keep the shades of Matt Jefferies and Wah Chang at my elbow when I am designing ships, sets, props, creatures, etc.

Lighting Director Jerry Finnerman is never very far away, either! Most of the sets I build are bare "plastic" painted with light.

Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB I don't recall if you spoke about this before. So I'd like to ask two questions.

Have you a story idea that explains why the TOS Klingon's didn't have their forehead ridges?  If you do is it possible we will see that story in New Visions?

It's not a story that we NEED to know. But I'd like to know the story. I'd especially like to know your idea of what happened.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Have you a story idea that explains why the TOS Klingon's didn't have their forehead ridges? If you do is it possible we will see that story in New Visions?

Since my stories are "imaginary" I asked if I might be able to tell my version of the Klingon Question. CBS/Paramount asked me not to, and since they have been very fair with me, I thought I should comply.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Have you a story idea that explains why the TOS Klingon's didn't have their forehead ridges? If you do is it possible we will see that story in New Visions?

Since my stories are "imaginary" I asked if I might be able to tell my version of the Klingon Question. CBS/Paramount asked me not to, and since they have been very fair with me, I thought I should comply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That sounds reasonable.  As far as your stories being imaginary. I prefer to think of them as the real deal. I figure unless Paramount and CBS decide to go back to the original timeline.  There's no reason for me not to consider New Vision apart of TOS.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

++++++

I get the impression that their policy is to have ancillaries not contradict the official, live-action canon, but also that they don't worry so much about the ancillaries contradicting each other. Does that sound about right?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 April 2017 at 3:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yup. In fact, I've been contradicting "ancillary" stories from the get-go -- including, occasionally, my own!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thinking about this, I was reminded (not for the first time), that right out of the box I contradicted SPOCK MUST DIE, by James Blish, the original STAR TREK novel. That ended by placing Kor and Koloth into a position that made them unusable, had it been canon.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2017 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Isn't that the one in which the Organians in the end take away the Klingons space travel capabilities for a thousand years?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 15 April 2017 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Received my comp copies of the "Traveller" issue, and considering some of the acrobatics the issue required, I think it came out pretty nicely!

I look forward to your comments.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 15 April 2017 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

A bit of Good News/Bad News in the image accumulation department. I just discovered one of the sites from which I gather screencaps has galleries dedicated to specific characters. That will make the harvesting easier.

Bad new, they're mostly low res.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

In stores this Wednesday, April 19th!

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Read it this morning. Currently crafting a brief review of it on popmythology.com as part of my comic round-up. I'm also working on a fully detailed review for trekcore.com.

I noticed one of the images of Spock has a shade of lighting brighter than the others in the scene. Your harvesting of images must be truly laborious. Jeez ... what a task to sift through literally hundreds of images. Do you have an index that divides the image up into various poses or positions? I mean, how does one organize that source material? It's staggering to try and comprehend and I honestly don't know where you'd begin.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

When I was starting on NEW VISIONS I depended mostly on my memory to guide me to the images I needed, bouncing back and forth between a couple of sites.

Then one of those sites -- the one I used most, of course -- went down for a while, and I realized I needed to download the images to my external drive. I've been working on that ever since.

At first I thought about categorizing the shots -- walking, running, standing, sitting, etc -- and maybe even by facial expressions, but ultimately I decided character and episode served me just fine.

There are still lots of images left to download -- I've got about half each of the first two seasons -- but luckily TOS used standard camera setups for many shots, so I don't have to grab every one. Plus, the 3D models I've been building have greatly increased the economy of scene creation, especially in "bottle episodes".

Just recently I started collecting shots from the third season, but my choices are more limited there. The changes in the costumes and the actors means I can mostly grab only action shots.

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2017 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Again ... it's staggering. Have you ever considered asking Roddenberry and making use of some of their archival stuff? I mean, IDW has licensing, so wouldn't their stuff fall under that agreement? Plus, with the new stuff in the Roddenberry Archives, that might give you more flexibility in image choices. I'm sure Rod and Trevor would jump at that chance.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

At one time, CBS/Paramount said they could provide me with an external drive with all the available images. I'll have to have Chris check on that.

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The Okudas worked on the Roddenberry Archive and put images together that won't be in the CBS stuff. It's worth a look to see out-takes and expressions that would be off the beaten path.

I reviewed it and loved it. The extended versions of episodes like TCOTEOF or DEVIL IN THE DARK along with additional footage never seen before was pretty cool. Gene just literally collected the cutting room floor strips and saved them so there might be a wealth of stuff for you to look at.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

"Not in the CBS stuff" could present problems. The sites from which I cull images are CBS/Paramount approved, and so the copyright issues are dealt with automatically.

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I would imagine it's still their property so it would be covered.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I would imagine it's still their property so it would be covered.

Never entirely sure about such things! It's a crazy business!!

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

True - I always tell my students about the ASS/U/ME factor. But it IS worth a look, even just from a fan's perspective.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Pardon my ignorance, but who is the Doct...um, "Traveller" in this issue..?

I don't quite recognize him, but I have the feeling I should.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Pardon my ignorance, but who is the Doct...um, "Traveller" in this issue..?

I don't quite recognize him, but I have the feeling I should.

Unless you're familiar with local theater here in CT, there'd be no reason to recognize Richard.

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

okay ...

THAT'S cool, JB. Very supportive and just plain classy.

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

For the record though ... can I get the actor's name?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

On the last page of the story, John.

<< Prev Page of 197 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version