Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Had I But Known... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 1  

This morning I found myself looking at the Commission Character Count chart, and this got me to thinking about when I first "met" all those characters, some so many years ago.

Specifically, I found myself thinking of the "Dark Phoenix Saga". The first issue of X-MEN is imprinted on my brain thru a number of different means. My parents and I were shopping, in downtown Edmonton, when I picked up that premiere issue, and accompanying my memories of reading the book as I followed Mom and Dad around are all the smells and sounds of the department stores thru which we passed. Also tightly bound to that issue are sense-memories of the distinct environment of Mike's, the newsstand/bookstore on Jasper Avenue where I bought the comic.

This, of course, got me plotting in my head the nearly unbelievable arc that carries that 12 year old kid (approaching his 13th birthday) across the years and miles to the production of X-MEN 137. If I could step thru a time portal and tell myself about it, would he even comprehend? So much of that adventure would have been utterly beyond his grasp.

And speaking of things being beyond grasping -- could it really have been so few years -- less than twenty, the blink of an eye! -- between my purchase of X-MEN 1 and my working on X-MEN 137?

Back to Top profile | search

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 2  

It does seem odd when you think of time and era's like this. For instance, when you bought that comic is was 1963, which was only twenty years removed from 1943, which seems now like a giant cultural shift--particularly if you think of the mid to late 60's. 

Conversely, twenty years ago now was...1993. Doesn't seem to begin to compare to the "massive" changes that we perceive between the 40's and the 60's. It eventually dawned on me that this is because we usually judge such changes on pop culture markers, which are constantly in flux and dependent on how closely you're paying attention. 

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 3  

I smile when I recall your Father's ....realization(?) that, once you became a Spider-Man artist, you were actually famous!
But, no, famous wasn't enough, you had to be IMMORTAL.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 4  

Wow - a young JB bought X-Men #1 off the spinner rack?  Very cool considering the huge impact you had on the book.  I think your run with Claremont and Austin truly defined the title

Sense memory for memorable moments like this is something else.  I remember the convenience store where I bought #137 - it was a long bike ride from my house through the Virginia woods, and I had to stuff the bag of comics up my shirt to get them home on my bike

So when I say that the "Dark Phoenix Saga" is close to my heart, I mean it literally!  It was held up against my heart as I took that long bike ride home!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 5  

When I turned 60, I started playing a little game in my head, imagining all the things I would need to keep track of if I was silly enough to start lying about my age and telling people I was 40. The first thing I realized was that I would have been born in 1970. How the heck did 1970 get to be forty years ago all of a sudden??

With that date in mind, I realized quickly that I would have missed the first ten years of Marvel Comics, the original STAR TREK, the first moon landing and, particular to my own personal experience, three transAtlantic crossings by ocean liner. If those journeys had taken place twenty years later than they really did, we would have flown, not taken the sea route.

Thinking about stuff like this is something my friends have long since realized is "very Byrne". Back in 1999, my friend Gary Cody told me of having a "John Byrne Moment" walking down the streets of Vancouver. He saw a 1969 vintage car drive by, and found himself immediately thinking about how many 30 year old cars -- 1939 -- were to be seen on the streets when that car was new. Not many!

I've mentioned before how difficult I find it to fully grasp that next year, 2014, will mark the 100th Anniversary of the beginning of the First World War. A war that was fought a century ago is supposed to be the American Civil War, not one my grandfather was in!!

Time is fleeting. . . .

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 6  

Wow - a young JB bought X-Men #1 off the spinner rack?

••

For the sake of historical accuracy, it was a rack more like this:

When I look back, it is truly amazing how many comics I first saw on that "wall" at Mike's. I miss displays like that!

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 7  

LOL! That kid reminds me of Spanky from "The Little Rascals".
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 8  

The drugstores where I got my comics had displays that only went four comics high. I thought those were impressive.

This picture blows me away everytime I see it.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 9  

Ok, lets say you can travel back in time and talk to young John buying that X-Men #1. Lets say that he does comprehend what you tell him. Would you tell him to do anything different?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 10  

Oy! Such list!!

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 11  

JB said ... When I look back, it is truly amazing how many comics I first saw on that "wall" at Mike's. I miss displays like that!

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------

I have vivid memories of Mike's newsstand comic book display back in 1964.  The comics I remember seeing on that wall were The Doom Patrol (jpg below), Fantastic Four 25 and 26 (I think my Dad bought me #26 since it had the Avengers on the cover) and Avengers #5.  Mike's was a fixture in Edmonton up until 1986 when it was torn down.  It had one of those classic neon signs you don't really see anymore (The leg moved up and down).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

It had one of those classic neon signs you don't really see anymore (The leg moved up and down).

••

And when I was a kid, that used to fascinate me!!

Some of the comics that came from Mike's into my collection included the SHOWCASE first appearances of the Atom, the Sea Devils, the Metal Men, plus FF 5, the first DOCTOR SOLAR, at least one TUROK, SON OF STONE, and SO many random issues of Superman and Batman titles.

Looking back, I find myself realizing that with all the times we moved when I was a kid (9 schools in 11 years), Mike's was one of my few solid centers -- a place that, not matter where we went, would always be there for me.

Well, until we moved to Calgary, anyway!

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version