Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: DC Cancels Their Only All Ages Superman Title (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

BTW, here's a link to that issue I reference above:

"More Mature Stories"

I forgot that there was also a Captain Underpants ad directly to the left of that page, too!! Talk about mixed-up!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 2  

The original Donner/Reeve Superman, and the 90's Dini/Timm cartoon series, both showed ways to depict Superman for their own era and culture — and making it genuinely all-ages and fun for a mass market.

Is there nobody today who even wants to do that?

Sadly, it seems that very few people currently working for the Big 2 want to put out true layered all ages comics. Most of them are either too selfish or too insecure and/or embarrassed with their chosen profession to write superhero comics. They either want to interject their own personal fantasies into the comics that they write/draw or want to prove to those non comic book reading adult civilians (most of whom think that superheroes are for kids and geeks) that superheroes can be "adult" and "cool".

What's even sadder is that their definition of an "all ages" superhero comic is for said comic to be either overly sanitized,campy,talk down to the readers,very little depth (in regards to characterization and plot),and/or drawn in a very cartoony manner. It speaks volumes when Quesada says that the Dark Phoenix Saga wasn't for 8 year old kids or that the MC2 Spider-Girl series isn't really an all ages comic.   
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Friedman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

Stephen, try this, check the dollar boxes for old 1970's issues of Superman or Action Comics, those were still kid friendly wholesome entertainment.

I second this!  You can give a kid any issue from Superman/Action/World's Finest in the 70s and 80s.  For all their datedness, my silver/bronze age Superman collection is still the jewel and most cherished part of my comic book collection.

I personally would recommend DC COMICS PRESENTS.  Perhaps the most consistently good Superman title EVER with fabulous rotating team-ups and creative teams.  It's classic/modern in story telling and art and has many of the best single issue Superman stories ever!

Edited by Greg Friedman on 20 January 2013 at 1:05pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

Jimmy Olsen referring to Clark Kent as "C.K." bothered me almost 20 years ago when he did it on "Lois & Clark."

If we can believe a man can fly, I want to believe that there's a teenager who is well-raised enough to refer to his elders -- especially his co-workers! -- as "Mr. Kent" and "Ms. Lane."

And, yes, when I was working at a newspaper as an intern in my teens, the reporters there were in the mid-20s and would immediately instruct me to call them by their first names. But I could never imagine using "kewl" nicknames for them.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 5  

Jimmy Olsen referring to Clark Kent as "C.K." bothered me almost 20 years ago when he did it on "Lois & Clark."

To say nothing of the fact that pronouncing "C.K." takes longer than saying "Clark", since it's two syllables to the later's single.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 6  

C.K. bothered me. I don't hear many people using terms like that in the real world.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 7  

When I was in the army, there was another Sergeant who took to calling me M.T. but it came out sounding more like "empty".

*Edited to add, this was in 1987, six years before Lois & Clark began.

Edited by Michael Todd on 20 January 2013 at 4:35pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 8  

Another vote for DC Comics Presents as an excellent title for young and old alike.

The Grant Morrison Action Comics is also adult by virtue of the freeform, randomly associative nature of its storytelling as well. There is no straightforward telling of events, but rather a montage effect of hyper-real concepts and very little forward motion. It can be followed, but it takes considerable effort at times when the payoff is so thin. Attempting to read Grant Morrison to a six-year old is likely to cause a great number of questions, head-scratching, and again, no real adventure-style thrills. We're onboard for the coolness of it all, remember, not because the stories themselves or the characters are exciting... Like Abrams' lens flares, there is a great deal of the autuer stylistically waving at the audience from behind the camera. But hey, knock yourself out and give it a try. Why not, right?

Regarding the darkening of Congorilla, it first took place in a Rick Veitch-written Swamp Thing Annual with a Brian Bolland cover. Today, the remains of Congo Bill, having just been eaten by the Golden Gorilla, would have been a lot bloodier. This is also the issue wherein it is suggested that Angel and the Ape's relationship is a sexual one, as Angel is seen cavorting with some Gorilla City citizens before Sam jealously grabs her arm and takes her back to the city, ostensibly because he has comic book deadlines to meet.

Although B'Wana Beast also appeared in that annual*, he was transformed via the cited White Man's Burden into a South African champion of the oppressed, Freedom Beast, early in Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man. Now those were straightforwardly told stories, for the most part... :-)

* He is beaten almost to death by his previously-loyal ape servant, Djuba, who after being freed from Grodd's control, nurses him back to health at the end of the story. This, despite the fact that he is now apparently terrified of her.

Edited by Brian Hague on 20 January 2013 at 4:51pm

Clifford Boudreaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

Which Swamp Thing annual did Gaiman do? Was that Brother Power? It's been ages since I read any of those and only vaguely remember them.

Regarding the darkening of Congorilla, it first took place in a Rick Veitch-written Swamp Thing Annual

That explains much in regards to Cogorilla going so aggressively dark. Veitch was one of those guys who just did repellent stuff with characters, culminating in the Brat Pack & Maximortal which is just really awful things happening to people with insisting that it means something other than doing awful things to these characters.

I remain unconvinced.

I do remember the various co-stars in Swamp Thing which begged the question of who would actually authorize this stuff (Veitch would lament that few editors let him get his mitts on their characters after a while). I know DC constantly vacillated on whether the DCU and Mature Reader books could play with each other, so Swamp Thing was prevented from a guest-starring role in Millennium because it was Tuesday when someone asked, while Swamp Thing got its very on Invasion cross-over a year or two later, because it was Thursday when they asked.

So he grabs Guy Gardner and turns him into a war criminal who slaughters some innocent alien visitors.

So really no surprise that the DCU ran with his take on Congorilla in that intelligence-insulting Mature Readers mini-series they did.

Edited by Clifford Boudreaux on 20 January 2013 at 7:07pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 10  

Hey, gorillas are serious business! We weren't doing these kids any favors by letting them think of gorillas as cute or friendly or anything but the wild animals they are! What would happen if a child, a small child, one who picks flowers during playtime and sings happy songs, what if that child happened to think of an escaped gorilla as a playmate because they read one of OUR comics???? How would that child's death help anyone? No, insane killer gorillas are they only RESPONSIBLE portrayal of these modern-day monsters, lurking in our zoos and wildlife preserves, waiting for their chance...

Okay. It's just fun to write like that... :-) Really, though, the darker portrayal of characters, which we are constantly told by creators and critics alike, is more REALISTIC (because when that flying super-powered guy showed up on the news last year, everything happened EXACTLY the way the doomsayers said it would... Oh, wait. No, it didn't. Because the concept itself is inherently NOT realistic...) is just a way to spin a story without having to devise a plot or any such additional, troublesome elements. You just go dark, and the government conspiracies and black ops missions start to write themselves. Plus, the fans eat that stuff up. Finally, finally, after decades of having to justify to your mom and abusive older sister and everyone at school that it was okay to like Batman, suddenly we see that the writers and artists took all of those criticisms about a lack of realism to heart and FIXED EVERYTHING!

Now, he's a psychopath. Or a sociopath. I forget which. But he's REAL. And all that cartoon "Biff, Pow, Sock" violence? Now it's REAL violence. Oh, yeah... This is all cool now, baby. Nothing to be embarassed about here. YOUR crummy forms of entertainment don't consider the consequences the way OUR'S does...! We got people putting arrows through people's skulls, we've got villains eating the hero's eyeballs, we've got crazy people cutting their own faces off... We got it all! You just TRY laughing at us now!!

And I've got to say, I kind of am... The whole thing is right there on that thin line dividing comedy and tragedy, but the longer it goes on, the farther and farther it topples into the comedy side of things.

Clifford Boudreaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 11  

One of the funniest moments in Vertigo history was when they decided to do a cross-over event. They decided to do one about children and had a decidedly fairy tale kind of feel to it.

The DCU launched one the same summer which was aliens that sucked the spinal fluid out of people and accidentally turned them into super-heroes.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 12  

And yes, Gaiman did write the story in which Brother Power is revealed to have been a Fabric Elemental all along, as his wandering powers run amok in the city and a hail of marked-down socks in a department store literally flew off the shelves urging shoppers to "Tune In, Turn On, and Drop Out." Gaiman's also the one who united all of DC's plant-related characters into one university graduating class, so Alec Holland knew Pamela Isley who knew Jason Woodrue who knew the gal who became Black Orchid... He also wrote the story wherein he personified the Tardis as a quippy female character and the Doctor's only ongoing, commited relationship. (Rolls eyes...)

Gaiman is a total fanboy...*

The relationship of the Vertigo titles to the rest of the DCU was an odd mix, given that the series that kicked it all off had copious and (you should forgive the term) deeply rooted ties to the mainstream titles. Swamp Thing crossed over with any number of DC characters, mystical and non-mystical, and was a player in the Crisis. Swamp Thing's first major menace, the mass-murdering Plantmaster was reformed in the Millenium series and was a player in the New Guardians spin-off. That was just weird. Did everyone just kind of forget about all the inhabitants of Lacroix, Louisianna he wantonly killed?

Comics are weird, man...

* That being said, I did think the bit with the socks was funny...

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version