Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 60
Topic: Around The NBA Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2018 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Supposedly, Kawhi is open to being traded to the Knicks.

I agree if I ran the Spurs, I would send him to the East
also.
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Pop apparently likes Ntilikina and the Knicks do have the #9 or a potential lottery pick next year but unfortunately Pop really loves Porzingis and I can't imagine NY going there.  They'd also have to add some salary to make the deal work; Courtney Lee?  Beasley would've helped but he's an unrestricted free agent.  I guess it depends what else other teams offer.

It was really an FU move by Kawhi's people to publicly announce he preferred the Lakers because it hamstrings SA's ability to get fair value.  Also, the Spurs apparently found out about the trade demand thru social media rather than Kawhi's group, another knife twist.  I have a feeling it would have been better handled had Popovich's wife of three decades not died last month, obviously leaving Popovich off his game.  I also wonder if the Spurs let Kawhi know they wouldn't be able to offer him the Supermax at this point (at least until they saw him play next season) and it set him and his people off.  Whatever, this is a ridiculous mess that never should have been. 

I kind of hope Boston doesn't wind up getting him because while he's awesome when healthy, his condition is unknown and there's that risk of giving up Jaylen Brown and maybe Rozier and a good future pick (or Kyrie straight up) and winding up with damaged goods or a one year rental.  I'm sure there are plenty of teams willing to gamble though and if he's 100% they'll wind up with a top two-way player. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Knicks aren't going to be worth going to for anything other than money until there's a change in ownership, which won't be happening any time soon.

Kawhi to the Lakers would be great. But there's a rumor going around that LeBron and Paul George might be going there. Wish it was true, but I don't buy it for a second. My luck, they'll both end up on teams I don't like or hate.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

If LA gets Kawhi they're sure to lure George and LeBron because they're the only team with the cap space to do it.  However, Kawhi to LA is tough.  Not just because it's a trade that guts the young lineup (based on salaries they'd have to give up Ingram, Kuzma, likely Ball and possibly Hart) but also because SA apparently doesn't want to trade to LA (or anyone in the West).   The Spurs have also stated through channels they have zero interest in Ball and his father's antics.  LA would also have to trade (or waive and stretch) Deng's terrible contract and jettison Randle.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Whatever happens, I hope the Lakers (or frankly any team from the west other than the Clippers) go balls out and  try to build a Warriors-killer team.

I was told there are rumors of a 3-team trade involving Porzingis, Kawhi and Kyrie. But I don't see that happening. 

Edited by Brian Floyd on 20 June 2018 at 8:40pm

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think the Celtics would do a Kyrie for Porzingis trade in a second; there are whispers that Kyrie might seek out the Knicks next year anyway and now Boston has younger and way cheaper Rozier (not an all star but still good and improving).  It's already tricky though with both incredibly popular and both coming off injuries so lots of mixed emotions.  Add the complexity of Kawhi's situation to that and as you say, I doubt it happens.

Charlotte taking on Mosgov's bloated contract and a couple 2nd rounders just for the right to salary dump Howard has to be Howard's lowest ebb.  He must be a real locker room cancer considering the Nets plan to simply buy him out; he averaged 16.5 and 12.5 last year and there's no place for him on a team who won only 28 games?  Ouch.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Dwight Howard has had a garbage attitude for years, which is reason enough to not want him. I was less than thrilled back when the Lakers acquired him. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 60
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version