Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 149 Next >>
Topic: Around The NBA Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2015 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Joel Embiid is expected to miss another season because of his foot, but will still make $9.1 million for his 2 year contract.  Is this a total disaster or is there a silver lining somewherefor the Sixers?
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2015 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It's going to be another long season, but the silver lining is their upcoming picks next year:

Philly 2016: Four 1st-round picks, one 2nd-round pick

• Own 1st-round pick
  • Los Angeles Lakers 1st-round pick (top-3 protected)
  • Miami Heat 1st-round pick (top-10 protected)
  • Oklahoma City Thunder 1st-round pick (lottery-protected)
  • Denver Nuggets 2nd-round pick

Okafor should be decent, they've got another nice big in Noel and they're young.  But they're mostly bad.  In fact, ESPN projects them to finish 19-63, bad enough for dead last in the awful East.  Philly has every reason to think they'll get a high pick.  The OKC and MIami picks are unlikely to be great but the Lakers pick could be decent if Kobe is hurt or D'Angelo Russell doesn't live up.  Assuming they get some nice picks and Embiid can finally heal himself, Philly could draft themselves into competency.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2015 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thanks, Rick.  I guess since the team is not looking to win in the near future anyway, it isn't so bad Embiid is out another season.  I don't know what kind of career he will have though given the type of foot injury.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2015 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

His doctor claims he could still completely heal, but my non-PhD opinion is that bigs who start out with serious foot problems more often have disappointing, substantially shortened careers.  He's also lost two full seasons of invaluable NBA playing experience and had only one year of college ball so if and when he does heal, he's going to start green.

In better news, the rookie NBA class voted on who they thought would be Rookie of the Year and Philly's Jahlil Okafor came in first.  Interestingly, Stanley Johnson (the #8 pick for Detroit) came in second ahead of Towns, Russell and Mudiay.  The season is still more than two months away.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Saddened to learn Daryl Dawkins passed yesterday at the age of 58 of a heart attack.  As a kid watching his legendary battles with Philly vs. the Celtics in the 80s (some of which were as good or better than the LA / Bos battles of that era), I always rooted against him but secretly really enjoyed his game.  He was such a dynamic personality.  It's hard to imagine someone with his unbelievable physique dying so young.  RIP

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Meanwhile, Kyrie Irving now may be out until January.  And the Cavs signed another 7-footer from overseas whom Blatt previously coached, which looks like additional insurance should Thompson bolt after this year.  Ugh.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'd like to have Kyrie's young legs to help carry the load during the regular season but the Cavs will be just fine.  Even without Kyrie they'll have Mo Williams, JR Smith, Iman Shumpert and Delly to handle the backcourt duties. 

I like the plan to bring Kyrie back slowly.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

RIP to Chocolate Thunder.  I know him mainly from some NBA highlight tapes I had on VHS when I was a kid.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I like the plan to bring Kyrie back slowly.
True, the Mo Williams signing gives them that luxury.   I just hope it's over caution and nothing else. Irving has never had a season without injury issues (multiple fractures) and for such a young player his average of 18 games missed per year is concerning. and will likely go up next season.  At least Delly gets his chance to earn a better future contract.

Andy Meyers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Definitely RIP to Daryl Dawkins. Watched a lot of games of him as a Sixers fan from way back.

As to the current Sixers, all those high draft pics haven't paid off because they can't seem to get that transcendent player (such as Anthony Davis). They rimind me of the Pitino Celtics who put so much into getting Tim Duncan in the draft just to come up short. 

I agree with you Rick, Embiid will probably be a washout. Not sure about Stanley Johnson though. I've heard he is very strong but hasn't shown the other skills he needs at the next level. 

Not to be a broken record but I don't see how Emmanuel Mudiay doesn't win ROY. Like Okafor he has the same advantage of being able to have lots of shots on a bad team (so he'll put up numbers). But, he will have the ball in his hands most of the time, while Okafor hopes the subpar Sixers guards can get him the ball in the low post before he is double-teamed.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2015 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Damn.  It's been a bad month for Philadelphia centers.  Moses Malone dead at 60.  In his prime, one of the more dominating players the league has ever seen and a truly ferocious rebounder.  He averaged 20.6 pts / 12.2 rebs a game over 20 seasons.  RIP

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2015 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I contend that Moses Malone is the most underrated of the all-time greats.  Look at the other three-time MVP winners.  Quite an exclusive class.

RIP

<< Prev Page of 149 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version