Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 65 Next >>
Topic: Around The NBA Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Rondo is a curiosity.  So many physical liabilities from his 6 foot height to his skinny girth yet his toughness and guile frequently made him among the leaders in rebounds among PG.  He's super-bright with exceptional court vision and remains one of the very best distributors in the league yet a weak outside shot and his contrary nature seems to have prevented greater success / stability after a productive if contentious 9 year Boston run.  He's on his 5th team in 5 years since but wherever he goes he seems to get the loyalty and respect of his teammates if not his coaches and management.

The spit was bush league but he and Paul have long had bad blood so it's just the latest chapter in an ongoing hatefest.  It may sound strange given the way he alienates coaches but I actually think Rondo would make a good coach himself once he hangs 'em up. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've always liked Rondo and wished he would of made it to the Pistons many times, but spitting at someone is just plain disgusting. I'd rather see someone throw a punch. I remember when Roberto Alomar spit on an ump, it changed the way I looked at him from then on.
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Rondo is now strongly denying there was anything intentional and says he "exasperated" as he was telling Paul to get the #(*%# out of there and that his mouthpiece would've precluded anything more.  He also points out that his body language was nothing like it would be if he tried to spit on a guy when he'd have to expect a strong and immediate reaction (his hands are on his hips and he actually looks away, hardly a defensive position) right after the moment of the alleged move.  It appears spit did wind up on Paul but I've seen that happen many times when guys jaw loudly at each other in close quarters like that.  I think I believe him. 

Edited by Rick Senger on 23 October 2018 at 1:13pm

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2018 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

A promising rookie class thus far.  #5 Trae Young had a 35 pt 11 assist effort in his third game, #1 DeAndre Ayton had 20 / 11 / 5 the other day, #2 Marvin Bagley had 20 and 9 with 5 blocks on 9/11 shooting, #3 Luka Doncic had 26 / 6 / 3 with 2 steals and a block, #4 Jaren Jackson had 24 / 7 / 2 with a steal and 2 blocks, #8 Collin Sexton had 14 points, #9 Kevin Knox had 17 / 6, #12 Miles Bridges had 15 and 8 in his debut, #19 Kevin Huerter had 9 / 10 and a few others have had double digit scoring nights too, including #31 Omari Spellman who got 17 the other night.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2018 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Knicks can never catch a break. First they sign
Porzingis and then he tears his ACL. Then they sign
Kevin Knox and he hurts his ankle.

The Warriors are in NY tonight. Let's hope they went
clubbing last night. That is the only way the Knicks
have a chance to win.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2018 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Knox had a good game last week; hope he's okay. 

Can't believe Minnesota wouldn't take Houston's offer of FOUR first round picks for Butler.  I know it depends on the protections but if the rumors are true, Houston was being pretty reasonable about that.  Boston only got three first rounders (plus a swap) from Brooklyn for Garnett, Pierce and Jason Terry some years back but it totally changed their fortunes.  Yes, they were older but it was THREE all stars vs. just Butler and Butler is 29 so he's not THAT young.  Thibs is being selfish if he nixes that deal because Minn. isn't going to get a better offer.  Houston won't be bad next year or even arguably likely three years hence but five and seven years from now is an eternity and anything could happen.  Multiple possibly high first round picks (plus some lower first rounders) for a guy who is gone no matter what at the end of this season is a good deal. 

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2018 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I wouldnít be surprised if the Rockets came back and included another
player. They need another scorer in case Harden or CP3 gets injured. It
seems like if Harden isnít scoring like 30 points a game, the team will
likely lose. Also, their defense sucks right now.

The Raptors have been playing amazing basketball. They have won six
in a row to see start the season, which is a record for them. Except for
maybe the Wizards game, the scores havenít been that close.

Edited by Wilson Mui on 27 October 2018 at 6:57am

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2018 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Raptors have been scary good.  Kawhi looks great, scoring no less than 21 in all 5 games he's played and defending well. 

It's a given the Rockets have to include a couple players in the Butler deal just to make the salaries work.  I've heard either Brandon Knight or Eric Gordon (a good player) and Nene.  If the Rockets offer Gordon they're idiots but even if it's Knight you're talking about a guy who's only 26 and averaged 19.6 PPG only 3 years ago, though he'll be out a while after knee surgery.)   If I was Houston I wouldn't make this offer so it's amazing to me that Minn. doesn't seem interested.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2018 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Cavs fire Ty Lue after a ridiculous 6 games.  Did anyone other than the owners really think they'd be contenders after fumbling away LeBron a second time?  Lue coached their only championship two years ago and it was a remarkable underdog win.  Dan Gilbert is the luckiest idiot in the history of idiot owners but as John Snow would say, "Winter's commin'."

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2018 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It would be funny if Ty Lue ends up taking over as head coach for the
Lakers.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2018 at 11:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Lue used to be a Laker so crazier things...  But while Walton may be feeling a minute amount of heat at 2-5, D'Antoni has to really be feeling it with Houston at 1-5 and losing by a double digit average, particularly with Harden out the next few games. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2018 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Raptors have been good. Bucks look even better, though Kawhi Leonard was noticeable by his absence against them.

Beating the 76ers so comfortably is a very encouraging sign.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2018 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Didn't see that coming:  D Rose with an absurd 50 and the game saving block of the three that would've tied it at the end of regulation.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2018 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

For some reason, the Sixers are not as good as they were last year.
They still have not won on the road yet.

Raptors played a great game against the Lakers without Kawhi.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2018 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

They started slow last year too (1-4) but there's no way they're not in the mix come playoff time.   I haven't looked into it but I can't imagine there's a younger starting lineup in the league

Embiid  24
Covington 28
Simmons 22
Saric 24
Fultz 20

With inexperience comes way too many turnovers and bad decisions, some of which should naturally get better as they mature.   I'm more scared of the Raptors this year but for me Philly is one solid piece away from becoming very, very good and time is on their side. 

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2018 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Two goods, two bads about 15% into the young season:

Looking up:
Bucks have the 3rd best league record, the highest pt. differential and just dominated GS at GS.  Giannis is unstoppable and they just look hungry. 

Denver's defense (once a punchline) has jumped from #14 last year to #3.  They lack a true star but have six double figure scorers and a pretty deep bench.  Best roster they've had since Iguodala was there.

Problems:
Houston's #1 offense last year is currently 26th.  It won't stay that bad but their D has dropped from 6th to 12th and might.  Chris Paul can't shoot and looks hurt.  Melo is aging fast.

The Wizards have plenty of talent but their 2-8 start reflects a team in disarray.   Just-maxed Wall looks out of shape, Porter and Morris are both struggling and interpersonal conflicts may force a trade.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2018 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

The Bucks are a good match-up for the Warriors. GSW is
really going to need to be at full strength with a
healthy Cousins in order to beat them.

Separately, Jimmy Butler is going to the 76ers. To me,
it doesn't look like they gave up much to get him.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2018 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Philly gives up two starting forwards but I like the move.  Covington and Saric are both good 3 pt shooters, something Philly lacks outside of Redick, but Butler is shooting 3's well this season and they get that third star and tough-nosed Philly-type defender.  I imagine Redick will be inserted as the other starting forward.  Minn avoids trading Butler to a Western conf. team and I don't think Thibs loses too many short term wins as Covington and Saric are both productive (Saric's only 24 with upside and a bargain at $2.5 mill per year).  The Butler situation has been a circus for weeks so they had to do something though I think Houston's offer was better long term. 

The East just got a little more relevant (the Atlantic conference is now stacked with three legit finals contenders (Boston, Toronto and Philly) and don't sleep on Milwaukee or Indiana. 

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2018 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Love it! Go 76ers!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2018 at 1:01am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

LeBron passes Wilt for 5th all-time scoring.   Can he catch Kareem? 
He's a bit more than 800 points from catching Jordan, which could happen not long after the all star break.  From there, #3 Kobe is only 1400 points more, likely next season.  After that, it's another 3300 points (a couple seasons) to catch Malone and another 1400 if he hopes to surpass #1 Kareem.   800+1400+3300+1400 = 6900+ points! 

25 PPG for 80 games = 2000 points per season.  His production has begun to decline slightly and obviously that trend will continue over time.   So does he have a shot?  Not only does he have a shot, if things go just right he could do it before his current 4 year deal ends.  But as we watch 34 y.o. Melo's game nose dive, questions about James' age come into play.  Melo is only 7 months older than LeBron with less NBA mileage.  Kobe also looked invulnerable until his body suddenly gave out in his 35th year.  Basically LeBron needs to average 20 PPG and stay off the IR.  I see him maintaining for a couple more seasons but after that, the actuarials aren't in his favor. 

On the plus side, the Lakers started 0-3 but are  9-3 since, including two wins against Portland and the Nuggets. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2018 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I think LeBron gets it.
I don't compare LeBron physically to Melo or even Kobe. He's a monster when it comes to keeping himself in shape, so barring something catastrophic I don't see that type of decline from him. So I agree he'll get it as a Laker.

In other news, great win for Dwane Casey against the team that cast the coach of the year aside. In Toronto!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2018 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I thought Kobe had a real shot and he wound up almost 5,000 points short.  Kobe was probably just as maniacal about conditioning and treating his body like a temple.  One difference:  Bryant would play through just about any injury and often came back ridiculously soon from serious issues.  LeBron learned early to give his body a breather when he could, something Kareem clearly mastered.  And yes, LeBron is built like a tank, way more Karl Malone than Kareem.

Really happy for Casey.  Detroit gave up 65 in the first half but only 39 in the second, erasing an 18 pt deficit against a great Toronto team.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2018 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

More on Melo:  apparently after LeBron signed the Lakers expressed interest, but only if Anthony agreed to workout hard last summer with the team and take a possibly diminished role.  Carmelo didn't even return the call.   Philly desperately needs perimeter shooting now but reportedly has no interest in Melo even on a minimum deal.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2018 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

"...something Kareem clearly mastered."

Ha! Yes. His "half court basketball" those last few years really stretched out his career!

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2018 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Imagine if Draymond Green costs the Warriors another
championship. He may be more trouble than he is worth
despite what he says.

<< Prev Page of 65 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version