Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 63 Next >>
Topic: Around The NBA Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Former 3-time DPOY Dwight's 16.5 pts and 12.5 rebs wouldn't hurt LA on a vet's min salary.  His reportedly dissonant, selfish personality might.

Cousins' fortunes sure changed.  He was having a great year (career high 12.9 rebs, career high 5.4 assists, 25.2 ppg... 7 straight years above 20 ppg... decent 3 point shooter, 1.6 steals, 1.6 blocks) when the achilles downed him.  Had the Pelicans not done well without him I can't imagine them not making an offer.  I wonder if there's more at work than we know injury-wise or chemistry-wise for them to give Julius Randle $18 mill over 2 years when Cousins only took $5.3 mill in GS.  Randle's a gamer and came on nicely last year but come on... a healthy Cousins is elite and on a whole different level.   Obviously Boogie will miss time this year but if he comes all the way back, this is the steal of the offseason and he's only 27.

Edited by Rick Senger on 03 July 2018 at 5:42am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Lakers reportedly told Rondo he will have a chance to compete with Lonzo for the starting job.

I read somewhere last night that the Lakers have a little over five and a half million in cap room at the moment, so they're done signing star players.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It used to be that all the questions about Cousins were about what he had going on between his ears.  Now there are legitimate concerns over his ability to come back from his Achilles tear to the point where he can make much of a difference this year.  New Orleans probably saw that Randle was available and just decided that they'd rather have him at $9 million a year than Cousins.

As for the Lakers, they're going to have to re-tool their roster to take full advantage of LeBron James' skills.  They need to surround him with more shooters, and as he gets older he's going to need more help than he had in Cleveland.  Ball and Rondo seem like odd choices at point guard - neither of them shoots the ball well and James dominates the ball enough offensively that their main offensive value is somewhat negated.  And adding Lance Stephenson is even more puzzling.  I see the Lakers winning 45-50 games and being in the thick of the crowd trying to get home court in the first round in the west.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm also unclear on the fit of signing poor shooters Rondo and Stephenson as I posted upthread though both have other strengths including excellent defense, something the Lakers lacked last year.  If Rondo mentors Lonzo along and challenges him it can only help Lonzo's curious lack of aggression at times. 

It's too bad Boston couldn't nab Boogie (they were apparently his next choice.)  With Horford aging, Theis injured and Robert Williams a huge question mark, Boogie would have shored up the middle and they could have afforded the luxury of waiting on his return with Baynes signed up.  I think Boogie realized he wasn't going to get the money until he proves he can still play and decided to just take a championship instead. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Rick, you brought up something I was thinking: they very well might have signed Rondo to mentor Ball. Also, I'm betting they signed him more for defense than for shooting.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I wonder how much mentoring Rondo will do if he will be
competing with Lonzo for playing time. Also, some have
speculated that it was Lonzo's people who leaked news of
his injury because he was afraid of being traded.
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There's also the issue of Rondo liking to handle the ball a lot, a trait LeBron tends to share as does Lonzo.   I heard the same rumor about Lonzo's camp leaking his injury; either way, I think the Lakers' confidence in Lonzo has dropped and as Magic told him, this is a critical summer and upcoming season for him. 

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I have a question. Why are there so many one year contracts this off-
season? I know some teams want to have the cap space to sign a max
player next year, but are the players waiting for a bigger payday also?

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2018 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Both, but I think by and large it's the teams' choice this year.  Since there are so few teams under the cap this year, those teams have an advantage with less competition and thus aren't offering the rich or long term contracts except to special players like Paul George and LeBron.  Next year half or more of the teams will have real cap room again, so free agents will regain more of an upper hand.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2018 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Lakers in particular chose the one year deals because they want the option to carve out a max slot for Kawhi next summer but they wanted to give LeBron some interesting help in the meantime.  Emphasis on interesting... JaVale has raw talent but you know his rep if you've ever watched Shaq'tin A Fool; Rondo and Lance Stephenson are both renowned for tussles with coaches and players, KCP got convicted for drunk driving.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2018 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

And I'll say it now:   I don't care if Kawhi gets traded to the Lakers, I don't care if Boston wins 70 games in the regular season, if Boogie can come back in any semblance of himself by the playoffs and GS' other starters are able to set foot on the court, GS is completely, utterly unstoppable.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2018 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JaVale has been playing well the last couple of years,
most recently in the Playoffs. I would have prefered
the Warriors re-signed him instead of Cousins. Given
Boogie's bad attitude, recent injury and unfamiliarity
with GSW's system, he is not worth the risk having him
for one season. He might not even be available to play
until December.

Not sure what Magic Johnson was thinking in putting
these players together. Maybe he wanted to find a bunch
of former stars with something to prove.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 1:04am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

If Boogie can't be at least 66% of what he was then I might agree.  That's certainly possible; achilles injuries are historically the worst NBA players can suffer and those over 30 almost never recover.  Boogie isn't 30 but at almost 28 he's not that far.  From what I've heard the average rehab from an achilles injury is 12-16 months so since it happened in January there's a possibility he won't even be available until well into the playoffs, disruptive to GS' chemistry.  But if he can come back in January that should give them enough time to integrate him into their system and get him back in shape.   Boogie is a solid defender, a killer rebounder and likely better than McGee when motivated.  He's infinitely more polished on offense and scored consistently for many years now.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

ESPN has a short video about PG13ís decision to stay in OKC. There
was no mention of Melo at all. What do you think the Thunder have
planned for him? I know there was talk of him coming off the bench,
which Melo is opposed to. Is a buyout an option for the Thunder?

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

When Phil Jackson signed Melo to that massive, lengthy Knicks contract my first thought at the time was it was a year too long at least.  OKC is now paying for Jackson's mistake.  The crazy thing about OKC is that with Felton coming back, their payroll for next season with luxury taxes now stands at $300 million!  In order to avoid some of the crippling repeater tax they will absolutely have to shed significant salary by season's end and Melo is certainly a glaring example of someone who costs them a ton (a lot more than his actual salary).  If they use the stretch provision on his $28 mill salary it could save them $91 million.  It  would be admitting to a huge mistake in going after him last year but $91 million is a lot of money.  One way or the other, I seriously doubt Melo plays out the season in OKC.

Edited by Rick Senger on 05 July 2018 at 10:34am

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Further to the crazy economics above:  the team that became the OKC Thunder (The Seattle Supersonics) was bought out entirely in 2008 for just $350 mill.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2018 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Latest word is that Melo's days in OKC are about done. I assume that means he's getting released, as I can't see any team in their right mind taking his current contract on. So naturally, some idiot at Yahoo Sports believes he'll be sought after by several contenders.

Let's see...

Not that great defensively (meaning he was a perfect fit for the Knicks when he was with them), lousy attitude, had a bad last season, is past his prime, and has a contract that's more than he's worth. I'd say he's one of the most overrated players in the league, and has been for a while.

I do not see any contender taking him, contract aside, unless he's willing to come off the bench. And that won't happen.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 06 July 2018 at 3:51pm

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Tony Parker signing with the Charlotte Hornets is nothing less than the Spurs attempting to mend fences with Kawhi.  He was the one who upset Kawhi the most by saying his injury was the same as Kawhi's only "100 times worse" and also the leader of the team meeting imploring Leonard to come back towards the end of the season.  Reportedly Leonard's relationship with Popovich has been fine all along, so ditching Parker, who I believe always intended to be a Spur for life, could help bring Kawhi back into the fold.  The radio said Kawhi apparently is LESS interested in playing on the Lakers now that LeBron is there, wanting to be the alpha dog wherever he ends up, but the Clippers might still be in the mix.  I'm starting to think Kawhi stays in SA but we'll see.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Here is LeBron's chance to finally play with Melo. LOL

Regarding the Hornets, it will be interesting to see how
they do with Parker and Howard. Not many teams become
contenders by getting older.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Howard signed with DC.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Thanks, Joe.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2018 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Poor Washington. :(

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Yeah, the rumor mill seems to be Carmelo wants to join the Lakers.  I dunno.  He can create his own shots, which I guess is good considering all the shaky offense they just signed.  But he shot 40% last year and the team was a net -14 plus points per game with him on the floor.  His D ain't improving.  He could be looking for the mid-level exception, which might be better used elsewhere.   I'm ambivalent but for the vet's min he's probably worth a flyer.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2018 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Vet's minimum for no more than a one or two year deal, and him realizing he'll be coming off the bench, I'd be fine with it. More money or him even being given a chance at starting...HELL NO!

(May seem directly against what I said before when I blasted him, but he still does have some value as a player. Just not as a starter or with a big contract.)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 08 July 2018 at 8:37pm

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:43am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Problem is, you know he's gonna want to start.  The Lakers already have Kuzma and Ingram at small forward (both decent and developing) plus Josh Hart and Luol Deng (for now).   Maybe you let Melo start but play Kuzma and Ingram for more like 30 mins and Melo for 20.

<< Prev Page of 63 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version