Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 150 Next >>
Topic: Around The NBA Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2013 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

He just has these little tricks on the court to score that I don't like.
The Celtics are all about winning ugly and Pierce is a typical lunchpail scorer and grinding defender who used to have a lot more pretty moves and speed like Rondo but has learned more mundane schemes, slants, positioning and switches in his declining years to enable just enough separation to get off ugly clangers that often drop.  Each of the past three years I thought he was slowing down and each year he just keeps going.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 1:02am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I like the way the Knicks are playing lately with Raymond Felton and Amare Stoudemire back in the line-up.  STAT is thriving off the bench.  I thought he would take longer to get back into the flow of things.

Any thoughts on the Rockets?  They had that seven game losing streak last month, but also some amazing blowout games of the Jazz and Warriors (tonight).  I get the feeling they just need one more player to complete the team for a deep run in the playoffs assuming they get in.

Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Any thoughts on the Rockets?  They had that seven game losing streak last month, but also some amazing blowout games of the Jazz and Warriors (tonight).  I get the feeling they just need one more player to complete the team for a deep run in the playoffs assuming they get in.
They're in a dogfight for one of the last spots... three teams with pretty similar records (Utah, Houston and Portland) vying for two spots, plus the Lakers, who are a bit farther back but I wouldn't count out.  That game vs. the Warriors was remarkable, but I worry when a team is taking all those threes (18 for 27 at one point, but you can't rely on that in the playoffs.)

Martin has played well for the Thunder, but Harden was a great acquisition for Houston.  As a starter, he has upped basically all his #s (minutes, assists, rebounds, steals and points (huge rise here...from 16.8 to 25.6)) while lowering his fouls.  He does turn the ball over too much and his shooting is down, but he's very young and becoming a bonafide star.  Lin seems to be playing decently.  Omer Asik is a seven foot rebounding beast and nice surprise.  They've got six people averaging double digits, which suggests good offensive balance. 

The Rockets are one of those consistently good teams (only one losing record in the past eleven years) that just can't seem to quite break through to the elite Western conference teams since Hakeem left.  Certainly a talented team, but I still see some distance between them and, say, the Clips, Thunder, Spurs, Memphis and even Denver.   The Clips appear likely to flounder unless Paul gets well, so if Houston can get to the sixth seed they might get to the second round, but otherwise I don't see Houston getting by the Spurs or Thunder.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2013 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And now the suddenly healthy Clips appear rejuvenated.  As do the Spurs, who have reeled off 9 of 10 and quietly own both the best home and road records in the league.  Boston's been winning courageously, but as the players keep going down, I can't get too excited. 
James
The way LeBron is playing, nothing may matter.  For a guy who finally broke thru last year and might be tempted to rest on his laurels, he's in a monster stretch on top of a another remarkable MVP-type season.   Overall averaging more than 27 points, 8 rebounds and 7 assists a night, while shooting a blistering 56.5% (42% from 3 pt).  Committing fewer turnovers and fouls while averaging 1.7 steals, too.  In his last six games he's done something no NBA player has ever done in the history of the league: scored 30 or more points and shot 60% from the field.
Anthony
Of LeBron's offensive streak, fellow MVP candidate Carmelo Anthony said he's "never seen nothing like it (sic). That's crazy.  What he's doing right now is unbelievable. I mean, he's scoring 30-something, 40 points in 11 shots, 10 for 12 and things like that. He's on an incredible run right now."  Melo himself is having quite the season, averaging a career high 29 points as the Knicks try to battle Miami for top spot in the east.

Edited by Rick Senger on 14 February 2013 at 1:01pm

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2013 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Based on the few games I saw of Miami early in the season, I thought LeBron was not playing as hard as he could and saving some energy for later in the season and playoffs.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2013 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Miami in general seems to have been lying in the weeds waiting and watching.  They just handled the Thunder (and swept the season series) though, so they do get up for the big games and appear to be slowly turning it on now that we're entering the latter half of the season.  Wade seemed a little slow and hurt earlier, but has had a couple nice games of late and also may have been conserving himself.  They're #1 in the east, though and just about where they want to be, I think.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2013 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think the Knicks are going to give the Heat a hard time in the playoffs assuming they can stay healthy and get back some of their big men like Wallace and Camby.

Did you watch the All-Star game?  The West seems to have more elite players.  Also, I never knew how funny the broadcasts of the various events were with Shaq and Charles Barkley providing commentary.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2013 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Knicks are clearly improved.  I think they may need another year to really figure things out ("you have to lose to figure out how win" as they say), but they have a lot of talent and are certainly one of the top East teams.

It's true the West has had better overall W-L records vs. the East in recent years, but if an East team like Miami wins the championship again, it will be forgotten and moot!

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2013 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I don't know if they have another year to wait.  The Knicks are already so old.  It is now or never with this group of players.  Same for the Lakers.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

And the Celtics and Spurs and Mavericks and... Heat?  Amazingly, Miami has the 2nd oldest overall lineup in the entire league!  But most of those players are not crucial pieces other than Ray Allen (37), who was an upgrade acquired this year.  They've got Shane Battier (34), Mike Miller (33), Rashard Lewis (33), Udonis Haslem (32), James Jones (32) and Chris Anderson (34), but the starting core is mostly right in their prime.  

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I agree.  Miami's core is still relatively young.  The same can't be said for those other teams.

Houston has the youngest team in the league and is getting younger with this recent trade for rookie Thomas Robinson from the Kings.  I'm surprised the Kings gave up on him so soon.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2013 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yeah, I like what Houston did... Robinson has big upside potential.  Could be good.  Boston also made a nice pickup in Crawford... a young 14 PPG scorer and ballhandler while Rondo heals.  It only cost them Barbosa, who is on the downside and out for the season already with a torn ACL, and a rarely used big man, Collins.

<< Prev Page of 150 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version