Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 155 Next >>
Topic: Around The NBA Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2020 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Raptors scored 100 points off their bench tonight.
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2020 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Haven't really been watching Toronto as much in the restart but I read the Raptors have quietly compiled the best overall record of any team over something like the past 40 or 50 games including the bubble. They just dismantled Brooklyn. As long as Lowry can get healthy, they are a sleeper threat to make the finals and given the lack of homecourt advantage, anything could happen then (as it did last year).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2020 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Chris Paul continues to defy his age (28 points, zero turnovers) and OKC rallies from a 34 point game five obliteration (and six points down with 3:40 left in game six) to force a climactic seventh game vs. Houston. With Denver also extending Utah to a deciding seventh, the competitive west gets treated to one more Jamal Murray / Donovan Mitchell show. The east is already in round two and Boston hopes to show its upset win in game one vs. the Raptors was no fluke. That one worries me; Toronto had lots of wide open misses in game one and Boston was just hitting everything inside and out. Miami also upset the Bucks in game one but I have a feeling Milwaukee will be much more focused in game two. Can't wait to see it all unfold (though the two LA teams must, for now.)

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2020 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Lowry and VanVleet were a combined 3-19 from the 3pt
line. Yikes!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2020 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I don't care if this photo is a camera angle trick and these two never actually make eye contact. This is one of those great game seven conflicts waiting for resolution. Can Paul make Harden and Houston pay for bringing him in with all the Kumbaya promises then jettisoning him after two years? Can Harden redeem his reputation for wilting in the biggest moments under the brightest spotlight? Chris Paul has been on a number of championship contenders but has never even made the finals. Almost forgotten is that Westbrook played for OKC for 11 seasons (Harden for 4 himself)...these teams have REAL history and recently both are the epitome of great talent underachieving. Once again one will go home early and it's going to sting.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2020 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Im not fan of Chris Paul, but he did a pretty good job considering the
players he had.

Regarding Giannis, he may have to go to the Warriors to win a
championship because his season may be over soon.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2020 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Paul's triple double falls just short. But Houston has to be worried at yet another big game offensive disappearance by Harden (kudos for a nice defensive block at the end.) Houston's balanced attack saved the day but I'm not confident about them going forward. Both OKC and Houston (and perhaps Harden, Paul and Westbrook) have that look of great franchises / players who got to the championship brink in the last 10 plus years but could never quite cash in. Sad.

The east is even more confusing: the #1 and #2 seeds are both down 0-2, which has NEVER happened in the history of the current format, dating back 36 years. Despite no new cases in the bubble, COVID seems to have had an unanticipated impact; neutral sites and equal personal disruption = more team parity? It's not over yet but so far I'd say that's been the case.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2020 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Raptors vs Celtics was close the whole way through last night, and it looked like the Celtics just about had it, being 2 points up with just 0.5 seconds on the clock. But the Raptors had possession. Lowry inbounded to Anunoby who let it fly with about 0.1 on the clock... and drained a 3-pointer buzzer beater. Nuts ending!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2020 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Miscommunication between Tatum and Brown... Brown totally accepted responsibility for his mistake but the truth is, Anunoby just made a good play and it rattled home.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2020 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The most hyped teams in the east pre-season (Bucks and Sixers) and last year's champ (Raptors) are out and the #3 Celtics and #5 Heat advance to one of the lowest seeded conf finals ever. The Nuggets are giving the Clips more trouble than anticipated but the Lakers seem likely to finish off Houston (another majorly hyped team). One way or another could we be headed to another Boston / LA finals?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2020 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"One way or another could we be headed to another Boston / LA finals?"

Ugh, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit!  :-)

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2020 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Before the season I felt the Clips and Lakers would be the best teams in the west and I still feel that way; one of them is likely headed to the finals. Not that impressive; many felt the same.

I thought it would be Milwaukee vs. Boston in the conf. finals. Three out of four ain't bad but I'm amazed at Miami. Many doubted they'd even make the playoffs (during the Chris Paul negotiations many thought Miami would make a desperation move to get him... bet Riley's glad he didn't bite on that $40 mill salary which hits a guaranteed 44 mill two years from now.

Zero 20 PPG scorers. One all-star (Butler) and one backup (Bam Adebayo). Regular season: tenth in offensive efficiency. 11th in Hollinger defense.

However... in the playoffs: Miami has leapt to tie Boston for number one defensive team.   Fifth in offense. Talk about peaking at the right time!

<< Prev Page of 155 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version