Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: FIRST CONTACT EVER WITH JOHN BYRNE ART (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 1  

The story "Assault On Avengers' Mansion" Iron Fist 12 written by Chris Claremont, Penciled by John Byrne and inked by Dan Adkins was the first John Byrne art I ever seen and read. Still is one of my favorites. Dan Adkins inks (my favorite inker) over Byrne's pencils made it come alive in such a way it made it untimely.
It was the first time I was really introduced to Captain America and Iron Fist. It's memorable. 

The following pictures are among the most iconic for me and represent the way I saw the characters and how the characters were kept in my brain until this very day.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 2  

Mine was Uncanny X-Men #113. I was utterly enthralled and pored over that art for quite some time to come. I remember going back and forth in a discussion with my mother (which I'm certain she was merely humoring me with) about whether or not the "penciller" or the "inker" was the most amazing one since I didn't know whether it was the guy doing the initial drawings that I was responding to or the one whose work it was that I was actually seeing. Back in those days, I'd draw individual figures from the books, color them, and cut them out often renaming them as "funny" versions (I was big into Crazy and Cracked magazine parodies then) and I would stage fights between them or lay out vast arrangements on my bedspread.

The art above from Iron Fist has a vaguely Aparo-esque feel to me. Of course, back then both JB and Aparo were taking cues from Adams, but the examples shown above have me wishing there could have been a Brave-and-the-Bold style team up book starring Captain America back in the day...

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 3  

My first exposure to JB's art was Incredible Hulk # 314. What a way to discover his work, with the issue that contains the greatest punch in comics history!

Right around the same time I read Fantastic Four # 285 ("Hero") which was the first story to really have an emotional impact on me.

I was so impressed by those two stories and the art that I think JB became the first artist whose work I immediately recognized whenever I saw it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2013 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm not sure. Probably the "Super-Nefaria" saga in THE AVENGERS. Maybe THE INCREDIBLE HULK ANNUAL #7 with Iceman and Angel. Even at that point, I didn't pay much attention to the credits...the comics just ... "were". 

When I did start to notice such things, I began to seek out books with "Byrne" in the pencil slot...

...and haven't really stopped...

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 05 January 2013 at 12:21pm

Michael Wolner Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2013 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 5  

Marvel Team-Up #61.  It had two of my favorite early childhood characters.  Spider-Man and the Human Torch.  I just had to have it.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Eddie Avila
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2013 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 6  

Long before I knew who DaVinci, Klimt, or Rivera were, I could recognize JB's touch.  I found this on a spinner rack as a child: Marvel Team-Up #53.  JB is credited as artist, but these look very, very much like Cochrum's X-Team.  The other pictures in the story of Hulk and Woodgod kept me interested in the series.  By the time Spidey was teaming up with Iron-Fist, then Captain Britain, I was remade as a permanent Byrne devotee.

Now, his art is better than ever, but I do really miss those Marvel characters done right.

Back to Top profile | search

Christos Seros
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2013 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

Iron Fist 12 was my first exposure to JB's artwork, and soon after that I have followed him on every title since.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 05 January 2013 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

I feel extremely lucky - my first JB book was from a stack of UNCANNY X-MEN comic books with enough Cockrum and JB issues to give me a solid sampling of the story from issue #94 through #124 (the Arcade issues - a very underrated two issue punch that even has a nice guest shot by Spider-Man)  They were my brother's comic books, and there were issues missing because it spanned a few years where he either couldn't find the issues or was just reading casually.  I, however, was passionate about that stack.

I had Cockrum's last issue (#107 - "Where No X-Man Has Gone Before"), which was part one of a Starjammers story.  So my first JB issue was X-Men #108 - his first issue on the book.  This Dave Cockrum cover is excellent, and a sweet transition to JB's art:

And JB's first page:

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2013 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 9  

Italian edition of Marvel Team Up #79. JB's art inked by Terry Austin... in pocket sized format.

Bit I loved it anyway!

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2013 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

Mine came in the Iron Fist story in Marvel Premiere #24 from September, 1975 -

Was this the first Byrne/Claremont collaboration?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2013 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

I really enjoy these type of threads...the "love at first sight" one, this one.  Makes me remember why I loved (and love) comics...and why I - and we - are here.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 12  

These are always fresh threads to read!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version