Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Dan Slott gets death threats for ASM#700 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 1  

This storyline seems like it has a pretty accessible way out.
Back to Top profile | search

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 2  

Some stories, for better or worse, are pored over, mined,
de-constructed, re-visited, what have you, again and again
and again. Some are quietly forgotten about, never to be
spoken of again, less than blips on a character's
continuity. I suspect this one will be an example of the
latter.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 3  

The crazy -- as in insane -- thing about things like this is that the fans who are so deeply, even pathologically invested in the characters think of these fictional creations as REAL. As people they actually KNOW, and with whom they interact. And YET, when something BAD happens to the characters, these people know WHO to BLAME.

Yet, if the characters are REAL. . . . ?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 4  

Great point, JB.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 5  

---

And from my reading, Slott was already laying the groundwork for the way out. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 6  

---

And from my reading, Slott was already laying the groundwork for the way out.

••

There is a strata of fans who are, hm, how shall I phrase this so as not to cause offense? Ah, yes. F**KING MORONS!!!!!

When I "killed" Doctor Doom during my run on the FF, I was deluged with mail (ah, those were the days!) from people who could not believe I had done so, even tho the "out" was right there in the story where it happened!

When I messed with the Vision, in WCA, some fans were equally outraged, never pausing to consider that before I "broke" a classic Marvel character, I might have already worked out how to "fix" him. And, I had, based on something published years earlier.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 7  

When I "killed" Doctor Doom during my run on the FF, I was deluged with mail (ah, those were the days!) from people who could not believe I had done so, even tho the "out" was right there in the story where it happened!

I was 11 or 12 when that issue came out and my friend said "Dr. Doom just died in the new issue of the Fantastic Four!" Not being sophisticated enough to pick up on the clues (especially the dialogue with Aunt May) I truly believed him to be dead. Now when I re-read that issue, it's a totally brilliant play. 

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 8  

Anyone still reading NuMarvel's junk is a little-messed up anyways. 

Well I still read Marvel's publications as I am a comic book artist, and I do hope to work at Marvel some day. I need to know what is going on in these titles so I am up to date with my submissions. Also, I know I can't change what we all know is wrong at Marvel by standing on the outside bitching at it. I will use what I learned in Special Warfare School and infiltrate them.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 9  

++

I was 11 or 12 when that issue came out and my friend said "Dr. Doom just died in the new issue of the Fantastic Four!" Not being sophisticated enough to pick up on the clues (especially the dialogue with Aunt May) I truly believed him to be dead. Now when I re-read that issue, it's a totally brilliant play.

••

One of the things I find kind of sadly amusing about many of the people currently producing comics, and the people currently reading, is that so many of the things of which I have been wrongly accused over the years -- being an unstoppable, ego-driven fiend who doesn't care about the characters and is only in it for the money, for instance -- has actually come to pass, and yet now it creates superstars!

Huh??

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 10  

Well I still read Marvel's publications as I am a comic book artist, and I do hope to work at Marvel some day. I need to know what is going on in these titles so I am up to date with my submissions. Also, I know I can't change what we all know is wrong at Marvel by standing on the outside bitching at it. I will use what I learned in Special Warfare School and infiltrate them.

••

The question then becomes whether you want a career in comics, or a SATISFYING career in comics. I have always opted for the latter, but if you're content to pander you'll have little trouble finding work.

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 11  

The question then becomes whether you want a career in comics, or a SATISFYING career in comics. I have always opted for the latter, but if you're content to pander you'll have little trouble finding work.

I am not content to pander, but I am fully willing to make them think that I am pandering to them. It's hard to explain, but it was what we were taught when dealing with unsavory people at the school. Yeah, you don't like them and what they do, but they are needed at the time for mission success. Trust me, I have been around some people that I would have been doing the whole world a favor by just shooting them. However, I was under orders to do the opposite. Now my facade of pandering has done me no good in getting any work, not even at IDW where I have worked before. I will also freely admit that part of my wanting to work at Marvel or DC is motivated by money. My student loans are coming due, and I owe damn near $100,000. This means that I need to make at least $150 a page, pencils and inks, in order to pay my loans and to continue to survive on Top Ramen. 

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 12  

------------------------------------------------------------ -------------
What a charmer you are.

I haven't been up to date with ASM but I picked up the last two issues digitally and really enjoyed them. I have no problem with Peter Parker not being Spider-Man for a while. It's all the 'illusion of change' in my view. There are currently 50 years of past Peter Parker stories for people to read to tide them over,

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version